JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there really 1 powder that works best in both?
Even in .357 mag is there really just 1 powder that works best in all bullet weights?
I have yet to find one powder that works best in both. Especially across the range of projectiles I've tried and in different applications (handguns and carbines/rifles) in 9mm and 357. There are some that work OK, but I haven't found one powder that is good enough to cause me to stop using several different powders for such loadings.

Unique is pretty versatile as others noted, as is Hodgdon Universal, but both have been hard to find since the shortage started several years ago.

For the OP, this site has some information I found helpful for considering different powders in 9mm. Always check any loads you see someone share online with a reliable source (published reloading manual or powder/bullet maker's website).

Hi all,
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new powder to load 38, 357 magnum, and 9mm (but looking for best performance out of 357 & 9mm). I'm currently using titegroup which is economical, but not quite what i'm looking for.
I'm mostly loading 125 gr for 357 & 115 gr for 9mm. Looking for a powder that does not need use of magnum primers. Any suggestions? Thanks
There are a plethora of powders that can be used n .38, 357 and 9mm, some better than others, depending on how much performance you want.
Mild plinking/target: Titegroup, Bullseye, Red Dot, Accurate No. 2
Mid/warm: HS-6, Accurate No. 5, Ramshot Zip, True Blue, Silhouette, Unique, Power Pistol,, BE-86
Maximum .357 only: Accurate No. 9, Ramshot Enforcer, Win 296/H-110, 2400
These are powders I have or have used in the past. That you are limiting yourself to 125 gr bullets in .357, I would stick with a mid/warm powder and can personally vouch for Power Pistol as a good option, as well as BE-86. The Ramshot powders are cheaper, and True Blue has pushed 125 gr bullets over 1400 fps out of a 5" GP-100. I recently picked up an 8 lb keg of Alliant BE-86 for use in 9mm, .357 and even does decently in 10mm. I haven't tried it yet in .357, but since it is very close to Power Pistol in performance, I am confident it will be satisfactory. All of these mild to mid powders are fine with standard small pistol primers.

Can't answer to any loads except what I've used to actually kill stuff.

In .357, W231 was highly recommended in an American Rifleman article on "Loading .357 for Accuracy." So I used it (with a 140gr JHP) to take a couple deer. Worked great.

Then I was advised that Blue Dot would grant a significant amount of velocity gain, and the scoped Trooper shot it just as well as the 231. Seemed cleaner than 231 (and WAY cleaner than 2400!).

It worked on Antelope very well.
...and a Rattlesnake.
...and a Turkey.

1704756998208.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show