JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think a great SHTF gun would be a Savage Model 24 in .22LR/20 Ga, just for the flexibility in one package.
Now if it could be adapted to take a folding stock it would be about perfect.

I think the need for packing a bunch of pistol ammo is vastly overplayed in a SHTF scenario. You can carry 5 mags (1 in gun and 4 in BOB) and be set for a decent amount of time. Barring the actual NEED for the handgun, I would be using my AR/AK (whichever I'm packing) or the .22LR to do the job.

Sometimes I feel like people envision a wild wild west like SHTF scenario.

It might just be a "wild West" just to get out...if you don't bug out in time (like for example, the roads are closed or clogged up from everyone running to the hills) then you may just have to shoot it out with looters to be able to survive.

Having more stuff than you need is a bonus...you can always leave it, hide it, bury it or what have you and come back for it later....not having it, well you are pretty much going to have to either make it, find it or take it from someone else- am I right?

Sitting here and criticizing someone elses gear is pointless...you don't know how many people they have or what their plan is.

my SHTF guns are an AK, mossberg 590 (although I'm thinking about dumping that one and just keeping a 930SPX), a glock 17 (although I'm thinking about getting rid of that one too because I can't hit anything with it...other than my chronograph), a nylon 66 (because my 10/22s both have crappy scopes), and a PTR-91 (which is for sale because I don't really care for it either).

The only thing that I "need" is a good long range gun, but I'm not too worried about it.

I also have a ruger .44 carbine that I think would do pretty good in just about any situation where you don't need to shoot over 100 yards, or use more than 4 rounds in a short period of time.

Although I don't have all of them, here's what I think would be ideal for me and the people I plan on being with (the three others I live with).

-Remington 700 Police
-Good quality 20" AR-15
-Remington 870 w/Pistol Grip
-NEF .410 Shotgun
-Remington 22 rifle
-Glock 19

This would cover hunting and defense I think. Not to much to carry, and enough for 4 people. I still need the AR and the Glock, but they are in the works! If I could pack more, ide bring them too, but these would be first. It would be nice for everybody to have a handgun too, but not needed. I think the most needed is a 22 rifle, self defense rifle and a shotgun. Also, if I can get a long barrel for the 870, I might drop the 410, but the 870 is only a Pistol Grip...

Who's going to carry all of this stuff including a LOT of ammo for each? I see people choosing a variety, each of which needs its own ammo supply. Lots of guns and lots of ammo to carry - so much that I don't think it could be done, if there is also food, first aid, shelter, etc. to carry. Now, if several people are splitting up this load maybe it's different, but it is very hard to carry two long guns for any distance unless they break down and go in a pack like an AR does.

Weight of ammo "per round" should certainly be a consideration. .223/5.56 and .22lr are handy here. I don't think we can carry everything we "want" unless a group is carrying it.

I'm still against bugging out anyway. Where could you possibly go where people wouldn't see you as a threat if only to their own supplies? Even if my house collapsed in an earthquake and I survived it, I'm going to set up camp next to it and use the rubble to build a small shelter. I have a hand saw, hammer, nails and crowbar stashed outside the house in a small outbuilding. Within a reasonable time I will be able to dig into the rubble for my supplies. The house probably won't burn for several reasons. If it does I have another stash.

I think rifles are useless for a bug out short of a complete implosion. Think about it, what situation is there where walking down the street with a loaded ar, ak, fal or 12ga etc... would be acceptable? If there is any kind of law enforcement left it will only make you a target. I have family that was in multiple hurricanes where power was out for weeks the area was devastated and no one was walking around with rifles.

Like I said, there will be four of us in my group. I plan on having 1050rds of 22lr.,1000rds of .223 (maybe more), 100 410, 250 12ga, and 500 9mm, and 200 308. I figure this will be enough to be conservitive with it and last a while. I won't be trying to be around anybody so I don't plan on gunfights, but I will be preparred if I have to. I can hunt a lot of small animals with the 22 and 410, plus the 12ga too. The AR can be used for deer and midsized game like that. With my list, that will be a long gun for each, a handgun for one and the short shotgun one of us to shove in a pack.

As far as bugging out goes, I would only do it if my in city neighborhood was destroyed and we had no where to live.
We have a 10 acre rural property about 35 minutes away - if the bridges are passable we could hopefully get there, where we have a 24x36 pole barn, travel trailer, a well, lots of firewood, a flock of 40 plus turkeys, deer, rabbits and squirrels.

If I'm doing it on foot, I'd put the Sig 522 in the back pack and depending on the situation (all out rioting etc.) pick the appropriate long guns for my wife and I.

Like I said, there will be four of us in my group. I plan on having 1050rds of 22lr.,1000rds of .223 (maybe more), 100 410, 250 12ga, and 500 9mm, and 200 308. I figure this will be enough to be conservitive with it and last a while. I won't be trying to be around anybody so I don't plan on gunfights, but I will be preparred if I have to. I can hunt a lot of small animals with the 22 and 410, plus the 12ga too. The AR can be used for deer and midsized game like that. With my list, that will be a long gun for each, a handgun for one and the short shotgun one of us to shove in a pack.

Link-

why would you bug out from Sheridan? Small town, minimal threat, no upstream damns, so what would cause you to bugout? You are in a good spot to 'bug in' so why all the BO planning and not enough BI planning?

SF-

Well all i need is
My
Custom M4 Build Ar/ 12mags/1000Rounds/700Ball/300Armor piercing :D
SprinfieldLoadedTarget 1911 W 6(5Wilson8Roundmags)/200Rounds of Hollow Points/300Ball Rounds
Serb Shorty Shotgun W 150Rounds
Sig mosquito W Gemtech Suppressor :D W 3mags 500 rounds
Thats all i need. And now you asking how do i carry all that by my self? well i have a really nice chest rig from Diamond back tactical that fits all my mags for my M4,1911,22,and binos and handheld gps and 20 round shotgun pouch and only tiping the scale at 43 pounds and a three day assualt pack, fits everything else with space to last. Everything scales in at 72 rounds
And if your in shape 72 pounds isnt nothing when your used to 170 pack and hump for 20 miles.

Well all i need is
My
Custom M4 Build Ar/ 12mags/1000Rounds/700Ball/300Armor piercing :D
SprinfieldLoadedTarget 1911 W 6(5Wilson8Roundmags)/200Rounds of Hollow Points/300Ball Rounds
Serb Shorty Shotgun W 150Rounds
Sig mosquito W Gemtech Suppressor :D W 3mags 500 rounds
Thats all i need. And now you asking how do i carry all that by my self? well i have a really nice chest rig from Diamond back tactical that fits all my mags for my M4,1911,22,and binos and handheld gps and 20 round shotgun pouch and only tiping the scale at 43 pounds and a three day assualt pack, fits everything else with space to last. Everything scales in at 72 pounds
And if your in shape 72 pounds isnt nothing when your used to 170 pack and hump for 20 miles.

Wow... curiosity begs to know what chest rig you have!

-D

SanBlas-

I am not calling you out nor being disrespectful, but 1000 rds of 5.56, 500 rds of .45, 150 rds of 12 guage (I am going with the assumption of 1/2 and 1/2 of #4 buck and 00 buck) and 500 rds of .22lr is probably going to be a little more than 43 pounds. Are you carrying all this or carrying a basic load and caching the rest?

Also what are you doing to stay in shape to carry a 170 pound ruck for 20 miles? I am asking because I am in pretty good shape for having gone through some serious back surgery but am looking for ways to better myself.

Thanks

SF-

There's no way anyone is going to carry a 170lb pack 20 miles unless they're an NFL linebacker, and have several days to do it.

I did the pack test for wildland firefighting a few years ago, and you should have seen some of the 'roid looking dudes there who couldn't make it with that load.

That's right.... and what was the time limit and distance again?

I have the above mentioned quantities of ammo and I would like to weigh and take a picture of it... I mean this a thread about pictures of load out right, so I am still on topic, right?

SF-

yeah 170 lbs for 20 miles is definitely a little extraordinary.

At the peak of my infantry training we would pack about 75 lbs (not including rifle/LSW) regularly for 80 kms over 3 days. (about 50 miles).
On a few occasions we'd have to carry up to 160 lbs - usually by adding a 5 gal jerry can of water and/or ammo tins filled with sand.
The furthest we ever had to go with that amount was about 8 miles. Let me tell you- it was a slow 8 miles - with the Jerry can, you have to stop and switch hands approx every 200 yards at most.
With that weight in your pack, every time you stop and go prone is a chore. For one thing, in order to be able to shoulder your weapon (pack is so tall it goes above your head) you have to remove one strap of the pack and roll it off, then to get up you have to put your arm back in, roll it on your back, then try and stand up.

I'd say that 70 lbs for 20 miles is possible for anyone who is in good physical shape - a backpacker, trekker, mountaineer, infantry soldier, Search-and-rescue.

170lbs - that's beyond normal infantry - that's special ops territory right there. Isn't that why they invented vehicles?

To answer all the question and comments, The chest rig i have holds my 6 ar mags plus one in the rifle, Plus 5(8 rounders) 45 mags one in the pistol and one sig mag for the 22 and the other in the pistol and and a 20 round pouch of shotgun rounds, my handle held gps, and binos as holsters i use a glaco jackass shoulder rig for the 1911 and a Small of back for the sig, the suppressor is on my chest rig in a pouch,The rest goes in my pack and im sorry for you guys that arent in shape. And i know the roid taking people anit going to make it,because they our weak minded and had to use roids because they didnt want to work for it. Ive been training since the age of 12and now im 22 and in great shape and still havent hit my peak of physical fitness. Why is the avg spec warfare guy weights in at 170 at the most? Because you need to be in condtion shape, and have core strenght,not weight room. And its mind over matter my friends, If SHTF you will see nothing is going to slow you down when it comes to surving.

Silver fox, I suggest you try sometype of crossfit just goggle it penty of places in washington that do it,swiming,And inveral running to build your conditoning, start off small 20 pound pack and work your way up, Lots of pullups!and weight as you get stronger and pushups, running on the beach, You need to push your self to the limits and you will be suprise what your body can do,once your mind stops interfering. :D

And if i dont want to carry my pack i can throw it on my Yahmha 125 dirtbike/trailbike strap it on with a bungee and take off. or just throw it in the trusty Yoto w/the bike in the back.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top