JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So for various calibres, i have MTM's nice ammo boxes for storage, but i was wondering which way up the rounds should sit?

For my .357/.38, the slows towards the corners will not easily accept them with the primer down, so it seems reasonably obvious that they need to go nose down, but for things like 5.56, they'll sit easily primer down.

The question is, is there a wrong way to orient the rounds in containers like these?

ammo-box-p-100-45-MTM.jpg

rifle-ammo-box-r-100-24-large.jpg

I may have just answered my own question (if i can trust the pics from MTM) in that pistol rounds go nose down, Vs rifle rounds, nose up?

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Rifle cartridges sit tip up, so the tip is not damaged. With round-nosed pistol bullets it's unlikely you'll damage the tip. Frankly with the high quality polymer tips many rounds have now days I don't think it matters all that much. With custom hand loaded FMJ for distance or target shooting, I am putting them in tip up. I've spent a ton of time getting them right, so I don't want then messed up by banging around in the box.

I always do tip up, unless it is next to impossible to get the loaded round out of the box, like a 380 ACP or 9mm round, in which case I put them primer up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top