JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had my WA CPL for about 30 years, when I moved to Boise my WA CPL lapsed and I just got it renewed.

The curious part when talking with folks in life about it, several said they will no longer renew it and will just carry w/o it.

To each his own but the juice isn't worth the squeeze if you get caught is it?

I've had my WA CPL for about 30 years, when I moved to Boise my WA CPL lapsed and I just got it renewed.

The curious part when talking with folks in life about it, several said they will no longer renew it and will just carry w/o it.

To each his own but the juice isn't worth the squeeze if you get caught is it?
hell no. I know a few people that EDC and don't have a CPL. Unfortunately I hope they don't get caught or in a situation they need to draw their firearm.

I think the issue is, having a concealed license puts us on a list. I do have reservations about the potential liabilities.

I fear in these anti-gun times when many government people and LE seem to think that ownership of guns by civilians should be made illegal or practically impossible that we might get special negative treatment from powers that be. Such as requiring all gun owners to pass an unpassable or nearly unpassable mental/psych evaluation. Most gun owners would not take the test. And then authorities use the CHP list and simply seize all the guns of everyone on that list for not taking the test.

At one point back in the 1980s it looked like Oregon was going to make its list public. That would have made anyone on the list a target for thieves. In addition, I can foresee many city landlords would forbid guns when renting and check the CHP list and exclude any tenants on it. Right now, you can simply lie to landlords. Some employers might check the list before they hired anyone. Its already the case that most college dorms don't allow residents to possess guns.

If I get stopped when driving does my CHP mean the cop is nervous and more likely to shoot me for no reason? Is he going to handcuff and frisk me for no reason to make himself feel comfy? Is he going to then illegally search the car? If police have a mistaken report of a problem at my house and know I have a CHL will they be more likely to shoot me just because they saw me moving around inside my own house through a window? If I have a CHP, does it mean that any treacherous SO, friend, relative or even neighbor can easily get my guns confiscated though a protection order? Will my being on the CHP list mean that nearly every judge automatically grants any protection order filed against me.

I've had an Oregon CHP for more than 30 years. But I don't consider it an unmitigated advantage.

I think the issue is, having a concealed license puts us on a list. I do have reservations about the potential liabilities.

I fear in these anti-gun times when many government people and LE seem to think that ownership of guns by civilians should be made illegal or practically impossible that we might get special negative treatment from powers that be. Such as requiring all gun owners to pass an unpassable or nearly unpassable mental/psych evaluation. Most gun owners would not take the test. And then authorities use the CHP list and simply seize all the guns of everyone on that list for not taking the test.

At one point back in the 1980s it looked like Oregon was going to make its list public. That would have made anyone on the list a target for thieves. In addition, I can foresee many city landlords would forbid guns when renting and check the CHP list and exclude any tenants on it. Right now, you can simply lie to landlords. Some employers might check the list before they hired anyone. Its already the case that most college dorms don't allow residents to possess guns.

If I get stopped when driving does my CHP mean the cop is nervous and more likely to shoot me for no reason? Is he going to handcuff and frisk me for no reason to make himself feel comfy? Is he going to then illegally search the car? If police have a mistaken report of a problem at my house and know I have a CHL will they be more likely to shoot me just because they saw me moving around inside my own house through a window? If I have a CHP, does it mean that any treacherous SO, friend, relative or even neighbor can easily get my guns confiscated though a protection order? Will my being on the CHP list mean that nearly every judge automatically grants any protection order filed against me.

I've had an Oregon CHP for more than 30 years. But I don't consider it an unmitigated advantage.
That's potentially a real concern because it's one more source, but if you've ever bought a gun from a shop, the state (and feds) already know you're a gun owner. Apparently banks/credit card companies have been recording/reporting gun-related purchases, so if you've ever bought ammo, accessories with a card, especially recently, odds are they know or can easily find out.

That's potentially a real concern because it's one more source, but if you've ever bought a gun from a shop, the state (and feds) already know you're a gun owner. Apparently banks/credit card companies have been recording/reporting gun-related purchases, so if you've ever bought ammo, accessories with a card, especially recently, odds are they know or can easily find out.
My understanding is when CCs are used in places like Midway on line or sporting goods stores or BiMart the CC companies have no way of telling whether you are buying guns vs outdoor clothing. My understanding is antigun forces have even working on such stores to change all guns and ammo to a separate category so the CC companies could easily identify and exclude it, but so far all the stores haven't done that. ???

My understanding is when CCs are used in places like Midway on line or sporting goods stores or BiMart the CC companies have no way of telling whether you are buying guns vs outdoor clothing. My understanding is antigun forces have even working on such stores to change all guns and ammo to a separate category so the CC companies could easily identify and exclude it, but so far all the stores haven't done that. ???
I understand your questions, but look at the root question from the OP, do you talk about your CPL openly? Not me. My wife knows and a close friend but I do not make this a topic at all. I conceal and carry on with life and know that I have a tool to protect me or my fam in the event it comes down to it.

Just get one of these and you're good everywhere;

1709684223258.png

I understand your questions, but look at the root question from the OP, do you talk about your CPL openly? Not me. My wife knows and a close friend but I do not make this a topic at all. I conceal and carry on with life and know that I have a tool to protect me or my fam in the event it comes down to it.
Only one paragraph of my post dealt with the general public knowing about us having a CHP, and in the context that the list was nearly made public once. The rest of it is about LE and Oregon officials knowing, which they do. Any cop who runs your plates knows you have a CHP before he even gets out of his car.

I normally keep my CWP to myself, though many people I work with are farmers and have guns. likewise in my neighborhood, though I think nearly every house has guns, and many men hunt.

I'm in Washington daily for work yet I live in Oregon. That alone is a reason for me to have my CHL in both states.

It's a minimal amount of money/time to avoid a major headache.

I think that's a major concern. But,anyone that has ever bought a gun and gone through NICS, had a CHL, bought a hunting license, parked their car at a gun show or posted on this forum is most likely already on a list. I'll keep renewing my CHL as long is it will permit me to carry legally. "They" already know where my guns are

Only one paragraph of my post dealt with the general public knowing about us having a CHP, and in the context that the list was nearly made public once. The rest of it is about LE and Oregon officials knowing, which they do. Any cop who runs your plates knows you have a CHP before he even gets out of his car.

I normally keep my CWP to myself, though many people I work with are farmers and have guns. likewise in my neighborhood, though I think nearly every house has guns, and many men hunt.
I was TEMPTED to jest about you being strong enough to carry a California Highway Patrol officer around instead of an Oregon CHL, or a Washington CPL….

But then decided not to! :D

In Oregon atleast, since mid 2015 you cannot transfer any firearm w/o doing an FFL transfer (save for certain immediate family members). Therefore, you are on the list, like it or not.
If you live somewhere where that's not the case, (?) I guess it would atleast remove the ability to track your used ftf transactions.
As for the time when you actually need to use that f/a, well that still comes in and bites you in the butt, if that's the intent.

I imagine that most of us here on NWFA are already on all the lists.

Your other points are perfectly valid, but I guess we have to accept the risks with the perceived benefits.

I don't often make use of my WA carry permit. I really don't enjoy or like carrying a gun concealed; I try to avoid venues and situations where it is potentially likely I'll need one. HOWEVER, I admit to having carried concealed illegally in California in places where I've felt that danger might be lurking. Like roadside rest stops. I had a really close call at one of those about 25 years ago. A high state of awareness (I saw them beforehand), quick thinking and a lot of luck got me out of that one. Ditto truck stop parking lots. Motel parking lots. I'd carry it stuck between the two front seats, under an armrest, under a shop towel. I'd only carry it on my person at certain times when I'd get out of the vehicle. These days, I don't travel nearly as much now as I used to so I'm largely relieved of the burden. I'm not normally a law-breaker, but sometimes it's one of those doing what you think you must situations.

In my opinion, in the past ten years or less, I've noticed plenty of newer areas of potential trouble. One example being Fred Meyer parking lots after dark. These places are fairly harmless during daylight hours, but it's a completely different world at night. Another, Mrs. Merkt and I went to a concert in downtown Olympia last year. It was daylight when we entered the theater, dark when we left and it had gotten very scary in the interim. I'm thinking that the burgeoning homeless situation is a major contributing factor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top