Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

MTM Ammo boxes, which way do you lean?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by F2CMaDMaXX, Jan 21, 2014.

1. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

So for various calibres, i have MTM's nice ammo boxes for storage, but i was wondering which way up the rounds should sit?

For my .357/.38, the slows towards the corners will not easily accept them with the primer down, so it seems reasonably obvious that they need to go nose down, but for things like 5.56, they'll sit easily primer down.

The question is, is there a wrong way to orient the rounds in containers like these?

ammo-box-p-100-45-MTM.jpg

rifle-ammo-box-r-100-24-large.jpg

I may have just answered my own question (if i can trust the pics from MTM) in that pistol rounds go nose down, Vs rifle rounds, nose up?

Thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Rifle cartridges sit tip up, so the tip is not damaged. With round-nosed pistol bullets it's unlikely you'll damage the tip. Frankly with the high quality polymer tips many rounds have now days I don't think it matters all that much. With custom hand loaded FMJ for distance or target shooting, I am putting them in tip up. I've spent a ton of time getting them right, so I don't want then messed up by banging around in the box.

F2CMaDMaXX and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I always do tip up, unless it is next to impossible to get the loaded round out of the box, like a 380 ACP or 9mm round, in which case I put them primer up.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I generally do rifle tip up and pistol tip down. Don't know why, just what seems right.

If you go to their site, MTM Ammunition box charts for rifles and handguns by Case-Gard you can look up what ammo fits in what box. It also tells what orientation the ammo can be........ Some boxes only fit ammo facing one particular way.

F2CMaDMaXX and (deleted member) like this.
  5. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I alway place my pistol rounds tip down and inspect the primers one last time.