JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To each his own I guess but me? The cost of the damn thing is well worth it to me and Wife. Sure if I carry without most likely would never be a problem. Still since they are so easy to get here I can't see the reason to not have one but carry anyway.

Do you! I personally think carry permits are a violation of my rights, constitutionally speaking. But try and prove your case in the kangaroo courts. They tell you there is justice, but I think they are misspelling it, it's just-us. Get caught without a permit and see what happens. But support murder like our government and it's okay.

I know people who carry concealed without a permit. I would never snitch on them and I support their decision. why? Because they are responsible adults and I trust them. They know what is at risk and chose not to be controlled by a system that let them down decades ago and they are ready to dance when/if the time comes. These people have seen a lot, trained, and a man's man. Humble and understand what filth humans can be.

Remember, the system counts on fear…. Keep you scared and under control. This is the same system that behaves like the mafia on steroids. So it's your call. Use deadly force and be prepaid to pay, or just run away after you use deadly force lol.

Would you listen and be friends with a rapist? Would you appreciate someone with a divorce in their history to give you relationship advice?
Point is, be an adult and take care of business. Wanna pay and have your rights violated? pay and get the license. Wanna be a cowboy and carry without the king's permission, do it, as long as you understand the consequences.

Utah just sent me a renewal. They want $25 and a new picture, and it can all be done online. Here in the liberal mecca of Benton County Oregon, to renew, a person has to schedule an appointment months in advance, they do not send out a notice. The woman who does the renewals said she can do about 12 a day and I believe she only works three days a week.

In Washington, last I heard, the Washington State Department of Licensing is selling CPL holder's information to private investigators.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised by that. They would sell their souls for money, that is if they had souls which I seriously doubt.

Everyone can do what they want. Risk of carrying concealed without a license is jail time and fine. But I think it's a misdemeanor so may not lose gun owning privileges (double check that). For me it's not a risk I want to mess with cuz it's peace of mind knowing I can legally carry concealed and it's at most a minor inconvenience to get one. I don't open carry.

Utah just sent me a renewal. They want $25 and a new picture, and it can all be done online. Here in the liberal mecca of Benton County Oregon, to renew, a person has to schedule an appointment months in advance, they do not send out a notice. The woman who does the renewals said she can do about 12 a day and I believe she only works three days a week.
Right. However the last time I renewed in Benton County, after waiting five months for the appointment it took only about five minutes to actually get the renewal. So I fail to see why the lady can do only 12 a day unless she devotes only one hour a day to it or most are way more complicated than mine.

Having oregons and washingtons, I added Utah because I was traveling east and MY oregon CC let me down on reciprocity plus Washingtonsize was limited. Utah also covers Washington so I did not need to up that one it when it was due. After pondering the ever changing and instability of our freedoms, I ultimately decided to renew Washingtons in the event they might be dropped from reciprocity with other firearm friendly states. It's a shame how much our freedoms are dwindling unless can afford to have a lawyer on retainer.
Regarding Utah, I was surprised and pleased just how helpful, friendly, encourageing, and accessable the states sherif and district attorney were to this out of stater.

It is not much fun facing a potential life and death situation with an illegal gun. Back in the late 1960s I was admitted to grad school in Biology at Harvard with full support. I needed to decide what to do with the Gillespie .22 semiauto I owned. I had been living off campus at University of Florida, working my way through school and living in a "room" aka section of Quonset hut shack off campus. I'd bought the gun when this student ghetto turned out to be seriously dangerous between terms when everyone else left leaving me the only occupant within blocks. The Gillespie had already saved my bacon once by allowing me to dissuade a guy from breaking in through my window. In Florida, my owning the gun was perfectly legal. In Massachusetts my possessing the gun, even unused, without ammo would be a mandatory one year in jail. In addition, since I had been too poor to visit the Harvard campus and make less expensive arrangements, for my first year I would be in a small Harvard dorm for grad school women. Since my room was single and I expected to be in it only to sleep I felt confident in my ability to keep the gun secret as long as it stayed in my dorm room. So I included the gun and ammo in the trunk I shipped to Harvard. And I kept gun loaded in my room but didn't carry otherwise.

All went well until one night at about 2AM when I was awoken by a woman's scream, suddenly cut off. It came from the dorm parking lot. Next thing I remember is being on stairs, Gillespie in pocket, running to save the woman. A sense of shock at discovering I had no choice. Realized I might be about to get myself killed, that I didn't know how many men I might be facing or how they might be armed. Realized in full that I was mortal, that I would die one day, and that if it was this night it would be while defending the very essence of civilization. And if so, that would be okay. That would be a good way to die. And that mattered. Also, if cops responded I would need to run. Couldn't afford to get caught with a gun. And if I killed attacker I would need to run. Best outcome would be to scare attacker away and get back inside without discharging gun before any cops appeared. There would likely be others who called cops. All that thinking while running down just one flight of stairs. I came out of side entrance to building and ran around to parking lot.

Saw a two person pile, far side of small parking lot, about 50' away, struggle still happening, smaller form on the ground, larger form on top. Too dark to see more. Not optimal to yell with my young female voice. Instead I ran toward struggle taking tiny steps and bringing all my weight down as heavily as possible. Sounded like a huge man running fast, not a slender female running slow. It worked! Without even looking up in my direction guy ran in opposite direction. I slowed to a very slow walk. Wanted to run back inside. Cops could show up any second. But woman could be bleeding out. Or suffocating with a garrot around her neck. D@mn! I couldn't just leave. And I didn't want woman to be able to identify me either. Also didn't want woman to think I was another attacker. Woman suddenly got up and ran in a direction perpendicular to path of bad guy's exit and my approach. Whew! She was in good enough shape to run! I had got there in time! Ran for dorm door. Back in dorm room, the emotion hit. I dropped to my knees, sobbing, grateful the woman had got away, and that I had not had to shoot anybody.

Now I live in Oregon where I'm grateful to be able to own as well as carry a gun concealed legally . And if I ever have to carry a gun into action, at least the situation need not be complicated by my owning or carrying the gun illegally.

Last Edited:
Right. However the last time I renewed in Benton County, after waiting five months for the appointment it took only about five minutes to actually get the renewal. So I fail to see why the lady can do only 12 a day unless she devotes only one hour a day to it or most are way more complicated than mine.
Never having been there but, it being a Gov job? I would take a "guess" the problem is someone who does not care because they don't have too. WA LONG ago changed vehicle registration to where you had the option to do it on line and they mail you the tabs. I of course jumped on this. Couple years back one set of tabs go "lost". So I had two choices. Go without (which if it happens again I will) or go to the local office. So down I go, 4 or 5 "workers" and I use that term lightly as they moved as slow as humanly possible. My turn comes, clerk looks it up, then saying he has to go see if they came back to them. Off he goes. He was gone so long I started to suspect he died. Finally comes back to say nope they don't have them. So another :20 he manages to sell me a replacement. Then with big smile lets me know I can just come there and do this in person. 🤬 As if I have nothing better to do with life other than do this 5 Fing times a year. Now with a computer in every Police vehicle my tags show they have been paid. So if it happens again I will just ignore it. Doubt I would get pulled over since every time a plate reader see's me it tells them they got my money.

Never having been there but, it being a Gov job? I would take a "guess" the problem is someone who does not care because they don't have too. WA LONG ago changed vehicle registration to where you had the option to do it on line and they mail you the tabs. I of course jumped on this. Couple years back one set of tabs go "lost". So I had two choices. Go without (which if it happens again I will) or go to the local office. So down I go, 4 or 5 "workers" and I use that term lightly as they moved as slow as humanly possible. My turn comes, clerk looks it up, then saying he has to go see if they came back to them. Off he goes. He was gone so long I started to suspect he died. Finally comes back to say nope they don't have them. So another :20 he manages to sell me a replacement. Then with big smile lets me know I can just come there and do this in person. 🤬 As if I have nothing better to do with life other than do this 5 Fing times a year. Now with a computer in every Police vehicle my tags show they have been paid. So if it happens again I will just ignore it. Doubt I would get pulled over since every time a plate reader see's me it tells them they got my money.
Lady who does Benton County renewals is courteous and friendly and seems efficient. It took her just five minutes to do mine including photos. I think the problem is what time of hers is allocated for renewals. Might be politicos controlling that. In Benton County possibly people who would prefer no ordinary citizens having guns at all let alone concealed permits.

Would you please elaborate on this, inquiring minds need to know.
At the time I was considering getting my CPL years ago, there was the incident of some newspaper (a Bloomberg owned) doxxed concealed permit holders back east. Concerned, I emailed Wsdol about their security and they emailed back some formed response on how they had 'been given the trust of WA citizens' blah blah yabba dabba do. A little time later, it was noted in the news that they sold information to private investigators probably because of the doxxing story.

I did a quick search but by now its buried. You'll have to contact the DOL to see what they say or contact a PI firm.

At the time I was considering getting my CPL years ago, there was the incident of some newspaper (a Bloomberg owned) doxxed concealed permit holders back east. Concerned, I emailed Wsdol about their security and they emailed back some formed response on how they had 'been given the trust of WA citizens' blah blah yabba dabba do. A little time later, it was noted in the news that they sold information to private investigators probably because of the doxxing story.

I did a quick search but by now its buried. You'll have to contact the DOL to see what they say or contact a PI firm.
Thank you!

The information is out there and readily available, even on... the internet, of all places.

Guessin' it all depends on whether or not one believes what the state DOL actually says:

HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
https://dol.wa.gov/about/privacy-center/how-we-use-your-information

I am curious as to whether or not the numbers of CPL holders in the state will continue to decline since many obtained their licenses solely to be able to walk out the store on the same day with their firearm purchase(s) -- as we well know, a high percentage of CPL holders never actually, or rarely, carried a concealed handgun.

Nevertheless, it would seem to make sense that should one actually have to employ lethal force against another human, it would go far better for one if one had a valid CPL rather than was carrying a concealed handgun without the license.

For those that worry about being on "The List," well, can't help you with your paranoia. That ship has sailed. If you believe that you're more likely to get "gunned down" by a trigger-happy cop who is aware you have a CPL and are thus possibly armed, can't help you there, either, but there's some good medications available these days.

Would I prefer to not need a CPL? Of course, but I doubt we will see a day in WA where constitutional carry is the law of the land. And since carrying without a CPL runs you the risk of fines, jail time, etc, and would undoubtedly be used by the prosecutor in any self defense case you might find yourself in, I see the benefit of doing so being far outweighed by the cost.

I understand your questions, but look at the root question from the OP, do you talk about your CPL openly? Not me. My wife knows and a close friend but I do not make this a topic at all. I conceal and carry on with life and know that I have a tool to protect me or my fam in the event it comes down to it.
Same. Concealed in concealed, full stop.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top