JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't have big hand but I have issues with the mags on the M&P Shields hitting my hand when dropping the mags. I have to teacup the grip as I've heard it called for the mags, to fall free. I have a Glock 43X that I do not have that same issue with, due to the grip length. Easy solution is just an adjust my grip to get the mag fall free on the shield. I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions on how to avoid the mags hitting your hand. I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions on how to avoid the mags hitting your hand. I shoot my M&P's much better than I do Glocks, but I keep the Glock 43X due to the fact that it has a longer grip.Thank you.

I don't have big hand but I have issues with the mags on the M&P Shields hitting my hand when dropping the mags. I have to teacup the grip as I've heard it called for the mags, to fall free. I have a Glock 43X that I do not have that same issue with, due to the grip length. Easy solution is just an adjust my grip to get the mag fall free on the shield. I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions on how to avoid the mags hitting your hand. I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions on how to avoid the mags hitting your hand. I shoot my M&P's much better than I do Glocks, but I keep the Glock 43X due to the fact that it has a longer grip.Thank you.
Maybe an aftermarket flared magwell attachment...?

If teacup means moving the bottom edge of your hand and pinky finger out from the grip, as if you were drinking tea with the Queen, then that's about all you can do for that single hand on reloads. If it is for gaming you can either live with "tea cupping" and snap the wrist outward to help the mag fly free, use your weak hand to strip the magazine out, or switch guns. I suppose a flared mag well could help, but is at odds with the point of a pocket pistol.

I deal with this problem on a few pocket-size autos and some service sized guns.

If it is for carry it doesn't really matter. Strip it out and reload, if you are in that 1 in 50,000 odds of needing to do a 1 second reload in a John Wick firefight.

I was just wondering if there was any other suggestions on how to avoid the mags hitting your hand.
You could try wrapping tape around the bottom part of the grip to encourage your hand to "teacup" out or maybe find one of those rubber grip sleeves. Otherwise, if this is a sub compact it has some notches cutout on the sides of the mag base plate to grab with your offhand fingers to strip the mag out manually. This is a trade off with sub compacts.

You might want to move up the the next size grip length. I carry a 40 shield and have the same problem. I shoot a bunch of other guns that fit my hand better. I still shoot the shield but just once in a while but not as much as my "funner" guns.

You could try wrapping tape around the bottom part of the grip to encourage your hand to "teacup" out or maybe find one of those rubber grip sleeves. Otherwise, if this is a sub compact it has some notches cutout on the sides of the mag base plate to grab with your offhand fingers to strip the mag out manually. This is a trade off with sub compacts.
That the biggest reason I've still got my Glock 43X. The longer grip length. Not to mention I can get 15 round mags for it, if I want. Just got to work on shooting it much better. The M&P's are my sweet spot!

You might want to move up the the next size grip length. I carry a 40 shield and have the same problem. I shoot a bunch of other guns that fit my hand better. I still shoot the shield but just once in a while but not as much as my "funner" guns.
I've got 2 M&P 2.0 compacts as well as my Glock 43X

That the biggest reason I've still got my Glock 43X. The longer grip length. Not to mention I can get 15 round mags for it, if I want. Just got to work on shooting it much better. The M&P's are my sweet spot!
If you like your M&P then train yourself to strip the mag free with you off hand, or jerk your gun hand down when pressing the release. Find whatever that works and train that way for that gun. This is the trade off with sub compact guns it is what it is. Ive had to do this with one where I can slam the new mag home or it breaks the baseplate off. Stupid design on that one.

Right around 50 bux, from Samson manufacturing.
Not sure if this would fit , but maybe worth a shot.

Compact-Magwell-Black-Natural-1600x1600_640x640.jpg

If you like your M&P then train yourself to strip the mag free with you off hand, or jerk your gun hand down when pressing the release. Find whatever that works and train that way for that gun. This is the trade off with sub compact guns it is what it is. Ive had to do this with one where I can slam the new mag home or it breaks the baseplate off. Stupid design on that one.
And my last time at the indoor range here by where I live, I rented the M&P shield plus with the new trigger. I love that gun. I shoot very well . I do not shoot my Glock 43X well at all but I don't have a lot of trigger time on it either. Whereas that's the first time I ever shot the M&P shield plus and I shot it pretty gosh darn good.

And my last time at the indoor range here by where I live, I rented the M&P shield plus with the new trigger. I love that gun. I shoot very well . I do not shoot my Glock 43X well at all but I don't have a lot of trigger time on it either. Whereas that's the first time I ever shot the M&P shield plus and I shot it pretty gosh darn good.
Yeah.
That's understandable. I shot the plain Jane xd subcompact very well instinctively. Bought 3. Started buying mags , but they were so expensive that I cut bait and went all glock.

It's actually impossible to manipulate your hand into anything other than a lego-man claw so you'll just have to accept the reality of human physiology.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top