JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if a .300BLK hog-load would suffice... failing that, you'd lose a LOT of its punch out of a 10" barrel but 7.62 out of an AR10 pistol oughtta ruin its day.
Unless you chrono the results of .300 Blk pistol vs a .308 pistol I think there is a lot of assumptions on the difference in velocity without taking into account the amount of velocity lost with short barrels. Keeping in mind the .300 blk out was specifically designed for short barrels and the .308 win was not.

I often have to remind people that claimed load data often involves a 24" barrel, which most people aren't actually using. The two sources below which I pulled off the internet in about 2 minutes combined shows that about the same weight bullet 125 vs 147 comes out at about the same velocity about 2000 fps for each, when using pistol length AR's for both calibers.

Unless you chrono the results of .300 Blk pistol vs a .308 pistol I think there is a lot of assumptions on the difference in velocity without taking into account the amount of velocity lost with short barrels. Keeping in mind the .300 blk out was specifically designed for short barrels and the .308 win was not.

I often have to remind people that claimed load data often involves a 24" barrel, which most people aren't actually using. The two sources below which I pulled off the internet in about 2 minutes combined shows that about the same weight bullet 125 vs 147 comes out at about the same velocity about 2000 fps for each, when using pistol length AR's for both calibers.

And people poo poo the killing power of 5.56, 9mm or .38 Special against human beings of similar mass (with the exception of most Americans being more .... massive with lots of fat nowadays) :rolleyes:
5.56 is extremely effective against humans and beast alike to include Deer cougar black bear. It gets a bad reputation from soldiers who were forced to use green tip steel core rounds.

5.56 is extremely effective against humans and beast alike to include Deer cougar black bear. It gets a bad reputation from soldiers who were forced to use green tip steel core rounds.
Its not just the recent 62gr green tip ammo, its been like this ever since its inception with the 55gr M193 :rolleyes:
"Nothing more than a varmint round"
"Not effective against VC/NVA, had to dump so much ammo into them"
"Branches and trees bounced the bullets"
"Too small and fast, no real tissue damage"
"We should have stuck with the 7.62x51 like the Brits, Germans, and other NATO did"

All of these can easily be found in the pages of gun magazines going all the way back to the 1960s :rolleyes:

This was in the era of .30-06 and 7.62x51/.308 Win

Its not just the recent 62gr green tip ammo, its been like this ever since its inception with the 55gr M193 :rolleyes:
"We should have stuck with the 7.62x51 like the Brits, Germans, and other NATO did"

All of these can easily be found in the pages of gun magazines going all the way back to the 1960s :rolleyes:

And yet, the 5.56 round can still kill people, even in its original 55 gr M193 configuration.

Armor penetration always seemed a bit overrated to me. You look at most military and police and they are nothing but skin and fabric from the low neck to the forehead and from the bellybutton down.

It is interesting, a few decades ago the .223/5.56 was a pathetic pipsqueak round that would just injure the enemy and make him mad, but nowadays (according to the news media and various politicians and gun control groups) it's a "high-powered" death ray.

The ground rumbles and buildings shake when one round is fired from that dreaded AR-15 "assault gun". Women cry and grown men are traumatized. Apparently it has become much more powerful over the years.

It is interesting, a few decades ago the .223/5.56 was a pathetic pipsqueak round that would just injure the enemy and make him mad, but nowadays (according to the news media and various politicians and gun control groups) it's a "high-powered" death ray. The ground rumbles and buildings shake when one round is fired from that dreaded AR-15 "assault gun". Women cry and grown men are traumatized. Apparently it has become much more powerful over the years.
Or maybe it's just that people have sissified over the years.

It's only the mighty 5.56 Nato that is the Death Ray, the pip squeak .223 Remington is a varmint cartridge just barely legal for fallow deer so nothing to be concerned about. :s0162:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top