JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its not just the recent 62gr green tip ammo, its been like this ever since its inception with the 55gr M193 :rolleyes:
"Nothing more than a varmint round"
"Not effective against VC/NVA, had to dump so much ammo into them"
"Branches and trees bounced the bullets"
"Too small and fast, no real tissue damage"
"We should have stuck with the 7.62x51 like the Brits, Germans, and other NATO did"

All of these can easily be found in the pages of gun magazines going all the way back to the 1960s :rolleyes:

This was in the era of .30-06 and 7.62x51/.308 Win
We were fortunate to have access to quality 5.56 ammo in fallujah (not green tip) and i can tell you as a matter of fact with proper ammo the 5.56 is excellent at close quarters. I do agree the 7.62x51 is the holy grail.

During the pandemic, many cougars were forced to stay in their lair and only travel locally and only on certain occasions. As the world opens up, many cougars are on the prowl. Limit your use of cologne and avoid eye contact with predatory cougars when around town. They smell weakness. Avoid imbibing too much alcohol as it lowers your overall perceptions. If you happen to be drug back to their den, wake early and slip out to safety as quietly as possible.
That is the funniest dam thing i have read all week!!!!

.556 is traveling faster with a crap ton more energy than a 357.
Does it really?
5.56 pushes a 55 gr. bullet to 3300 MV.
That's 1330 ME.
A .357, shot from a lever action rifle featuring an 18.5" barrel, pushes a 158 gr. pill to 1850 MV.
That's 1201 ME.
A difference of 129 ft.lbs., or a 9.7% difference.
A difference, yes.
Favouring the 5.56? Yes, but is it really a "crap ton more energy"?
I don't see it, but paper ballistics aside, its really all about the effect the bullet has on the game.
I wouldn't feel under gunned packing a model 10 filled with 158 gr. LSWC's.

Its not just the recent 62gr green tip ammo, its been like this ever since its inception with the 55gr M193 :rolleyes:
"We should have stuck with the 7.62x51 like the Brits, Germans, and other NATO did"

All of these can easily be found in the pages of gun magazines going all the way back to the 1960s :rolleyes:

That was me and I have indeed seen wounds caused by 5.56, 7.62 x 39 and 51, 50 BMG, maybe others too.

We had bad ammo at first, inappropriate powder for the 5.56 round, then we got better ammo.

Along with the 9mm; "poodle killer".

This was before the ATF took this as advice for their SOP.

We live fairly rural in close proximity to a river and I was just informed that a cougar has been spotted twice in the last two nights. One was directly behind our place, less than 200 yards. We had a deer killed last summer in the field next to our house, so I'm upping my game. I'm thinking either my 686 or 460 for during the day and my XD45 with light for the night. Already have the security cams adjusted. Hope it just moves along though, don't want to have to get into a confrontation with it.

We live fairly rural in close proximity to a river and I was just informed that a cougar has been spotted twice in the last two nights. One was directly behind our place, less than 200 yards. We had a deer killed last summer in the field next to our house, so I'm upping my game. I'm thinking either my 686 or 460 for during the day and my XD45 with light for the night. Already have the security cams adjusted. Hope it just moves along though, don't want to have to get into a confrontation with it.
Cougars are a regular occurrence where there are deer. They have been seen on neighbor's property. I am sure they cross mine from time to time, just like the bears and coyotes do. I see coyotes on my property from time to time - once following deer, another time a small coyote was hunting mice in my yard.

I probably said this already, but I rarely go armed on my property. Ten plus years here and the only threat has been pet dogs.

My main concern is my kids and dogs who prefer to be outside instead of being inside playing video games. We have lots of deer and turkey here. Strangely we've never seen a coyote though. I'm curious as to any activity I might catch on the security cams. I may need to invest in a game cam.

When you hunt by yourself, pitch dark, tromping up a mountainside alone in the darkest part of the woods, you can get a bit concerned (even paranoid) about being more the prey than the hunter. I started with a Regent 45 ACP. Didn't feel it was enough. Upgraded to Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag. Then had the uncomfortable experience of my headlight beaming down on a very fresh cow elk kill, and I mean very fresh. The cougar probably ran when it heard me, but it was near and it was obviously hungry. After that I upgraded to 475 Linebaugh. Perhaps that was more psychological salve than reality-based need, but can't have enough protection when you're the prey.

When you hunt by yourself, pitch dark, tromping up a mountainside alone in the darkest part of the woods, you can get a bit concerned (even paranoid) about being more the prey than the hunter. I started with a Regent 45 ACP. Didn't feel it was enough. Upgraded to Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag. Then had the uncomfortable experience of my headlight beaming down on a very fresh cow elk kill, and I mean very fresh. The cougar probably ran when it heard me, but it was near and it was obviously hungry. After that I upgraded to 475 Linebaugh. Perhaps that was more psychological salve than reality-based need, but can't have enough protection when you're the prey.
So, are you saying I should get my S&W 500 Mag ready or my 460 S&W Mag? Or possibly both, I need another holster though, it would get heavy with both of those on the same side 😁

For a cougar I don't think a polar bear handgun is necessary. They are strong and fierce, but not thick skinned or have a lot of fat. A 9mm would probably be fine, especially one with 20 rounds in the mag. Maybe even my Five Seven would be enough - it would certainly be discouraging to a cougar. Personally, for such an encounter, I would prefer something with plenty of ammo capacity, unless it it is at night - then I want my Shockwave.

I've never killed one, but those that have, say it doesn't take much to bring them down.
For that reason, I'd feel comfortable with a 9mm.

A running shot ?
Definitely not the 44Mag in double action, but rather the 9mm with the 15 or 17rd mag.

Several years back, a large 188 pound tom killed one of my wife's llamas, just uphill from the house. We had no idea he was around. My wife took daily walks in that area with our dog. Having the dog along probably saved her...

The cougar now lives on our living room wall. Perfect house cat, doesn't eat much.

For a cougar I don't think a polar bear handgun is necessary. They are strong and fierce, but not thick skinned or have a lot of fat. A 9mm would probably be fine, especially one with 20 rounds in the mag. Maybe even my Five Seven would be enough - it would certainly be discouraging to a cougar. Personally, for such an encounter, I would prefer something with plenty of ammo capacity, unless it it is at night - then I want my Shockwave.
Elmer Keith took polar bear with the .357, .41 and .44 magnums.

Several years back, a large 188 pound tom killed one of my wife's llamas, just uphill from the house. We had no idea he was around. My wife took daily walks in that area with our dog. Having the dog along probably saved her...

The cougar now lives on our living room wall. Perfect house cat, doesn't eat much.
3-4 years ago security cameras recorded a cougar in one of the OHSU parking garages in Portland

Our housecat

IMG_20170102_081502.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top