JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I noticed that you used the past tenc e when referring to shotgun/rifle hunting. Have you stopped hunting? If so why? I archery hunt with a airbow. The fpe and speed developed from a whisper-quiet arrow release is inspiring. I don't hunt as much as I used to. And I own the prime property in the area what isn't gamelands restricted. I am getting sorry and sorrier everyday. But by not leaving my scent trails I have let the wildlife relax some. Boy oh boy there has been some monster whitetail and "blackies" harvested here. Fancy Gap,Va just north of here, had a reporting of a 750#er last year. That's about 10 mile across the valley as the crow flies. It is within eyesight. Primo bear/whitetail turkey also, habitat. Claw marks up high, and the size of the saplings and the severity of the "hornings" and "rubs" are signs of the big ones. Once, I was witnessing a fight between 2 big bucks when from over my shoulder came a juvenile 6-pointer to join in. The power and intensity displayed.!! The percussion of the impacts, one fell over a 10' rock cliff and the other one followed it over the edge only to go right back to the fight. It wasn't rifle season so I had my Circuit Judge loaded with defensive OOBuck only. And of course my Redhawk. Not the only fight I've witnessed but it was the most physically dynamic event I ever saw. BTW the 6 pointer tried to join in but was quickly suppressed by the dominant buck while the other aggressor rested. It was a real "National Geographic" moment. I could continue with tales of bobcat, hawk, skunk, hellbender, timber rattlers, chameleon, flying squirrel, coyotes and red wolf encounters but it would require a dissertation to include them all. I love my little cabin on the Old Indian Trail. There's no place like home.
I enjoy your stories, there used to be a lot of hunting, backpacking stories in sports magazines I liked to read. At some point they went to articles from Africa and guided hunts, you know elitists.
I used to have many experiences that seems like many younger people never seem to expose themselves to nature.
At some point I stopped, I remarried, and suddenly I got to be a senior citizen. How did that happen? You get old and loose interest in using your precious energy to fight off skeeters and collecting firewood for the camp, let alone dressing and packing out a deer. Sure would like some steaks though.

My rifle is my best tool I have , I leave the pistol at home when hunting.
Not a bad idea. I used to do that too. My only issue is that I found there would always be several times each day in which I would set my rifle down to do some miscellaneous task and without realizing it I would be 20-30 feet from my rifle. If I have a sidearm on my hip it is more readily available. Also, I can get a multiple shots downrange a LOT quicker than I can with my bolt action rifle. But, NOTHING wrong with using the rifle the way you are doing. That will work well.

Not a bad idea. I used to do that too. My only issue is that I found there would always be several times each day in which I would set my rifle down to do some miscellaneous task and without realizing it I would be 20-30 feet from my rifle. If I have a sidearm on my hip it is more readily available. Also, I can get a multiple shots downrange a LOT quicker than I can with my bolt action rifle. But, NOTHING wrong with using the rifle the way you are doing. That will work well.
Having a hidden knife and fifearm is always a good backup if relieved of your long gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top