JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After spending the last 20 years hunting cougars and bears(sometimes injured animals) and carrying the "right tools" for the job I now find myself just wearing my every day carry 9mm in the woods. Since I'm not actively hunting them the chances of a dangerous encounter is slim to none. I'm more concerned about the 2 legged predators in salem than our 4 leggeded ones in the woods.

I rarely carry a sidearm when hunting anymore. Mostly because I'm sitting in a tree less than 100 yards from my truck, and in my own yard! (orchard, actually)

But back when I hunted on foot, I almost always had one with me. I often hunted alone and would cover some ground. I carried other things in my pack that I would hopefully never need, too. But I preferred to be prepared.

No I do not.
I would use whatever firearm I am hunting with for defensive purposes.

With that said....
To be honest here...I also don't worry / wonder / consider 'bout it either.
Andy
Does that include being out squirrel or rabbit hunting with your trusty 22 bolt-action rifle?

To be fair, maybe you don't do those types of hunts (or use a 22 bolt gun for them)… but I'd wager you likely don't consider a 22 bolt gun a reliably useful defensive weapon against most 2 or 4 legged threats… am I correct about that?

Does that include being out squirrel or rabbit hunting with your trusty 22 bolt-action rifle?

To be fair, maybe you don't do those types of hunts (or use a 22 bolt gun for them)… but I'd wager you likely don't consider a 22 bolt gun a reliably useful defensive weapon against most 2 or 4 legged threats… am I correct about that?
Yes that does include the times when I am hunting with one of my .22 rifles....or flintlocks...or any other firearm.

And yes I would consider my .22 rifles as reliably useful defensive firearms...
I know and use what ammo works well with them....I also shoot very well with them.

Would they be my first choice for defensive use...No.
However ...
I ain't gonna roll over and wait to die 'cause all I have is a .22 rifle.
Defense is a Hell of a lot more than what someone is armed with.

Getting killed or harmed by a critter would be a historically correct way to go...
So again...I don't worry 'bout it none.
As for two legged threats...I have dealt with them before and I am still here to tell the tale...
Again..I don't worry 'bout coming out on top again.

In any event...
As you may have gathered...
I don't worry 'bout these things....However if you or anyone else does...
Then good for you....you ain't wrong ...for you.

The question asked was do you...meaning those who answer.
I answered what I do.
Andy

Yes that does include the times when I am hunting with one of my .22 rifles....or flintlocks...or any other firearm.

And yes I would consider my .22 rifles as reliably useful defensive firearms...
I know and use what ammo works well with them....I also shoot very well with them.

Would they be my first choice for defensive use...No.
However ...
I ain't gonna roll over and wait to die 'cause all I have is a .22 rifle.
Defense is a Hell of a lot more than what someone is armed with.

Getting killed or harmed by a critter would be a historically correct way to go...
So again...I don't worry 'bout it none.
As for two legged threats...I have dealt with them before and I am still here to tell the tale...
Again..I don't worry 'bout coming out on top again.

In any event...
As you may have gathered...
I don't worry 'bout these things....However if you or anyone else does...
Then good for you....you ain't wrong ...for you.

The question asked was do you...meaning those who answer.
I answered what I do.
Andy
Everyone underestimates the 22lr! In comparison animals have a natural and greater will to live than "most" humans. Humans in my opinion are much much weaker

I do. It's most often my 4" GP100 in .357 Magnum. Other people in the woods give me very bad vibes and admittedly it's for them, not for cougars.

Everyone underestimates the 22lr! In comparison animals have a natural and greater will to live than "most" humans. Humans in my opinion are much much weaker
Agreed.

Bullets can do weird things when they hit flesh...and it pays to never underestimate the will the live.

I have seen men "lightly wounded" stop fighting and otherwise withdraw from combat...
And I have seen men who should have been dead or at least stopped...continue fighting.
Andy

I first started carrying just our Marlin 22, later when an actual teenager, I got to carry the Ruger 22 on my belt at the same time. I was in hog heaven!

These days if I am carrying the same rifle I probably do have a sidearm on my person. That's just because I usually have a sidearm on my person. :)
But I have so little reason to doubt anything about my 22, including the guy shooting it.

I have seen men "lightly wounded" stop fighting and otherwise withdraw from combat...
And I have seen men who should have been dead or at least stopped...continue fighting.
Andy
There's a video of a cop unloading a magazine from his pistol at his SUV after an acorn fell on it. He screamed on the radio that he was hit, he wasn't.

There's a video of a cop unloading a magazine from his pistol at his SUV after an acorn fell on it. He screamed on the radio that he was hit, he wasn't.
Saw that video...here on NWFA no less.

Something to consider here is that when in a stressful situation , the mind can "see" and "hear" what it expects to be there...
And not what is actually there.
Or...
The officer was just too high strung to kinda quote Doc.... :D
Andy

Yes because I've seen more than one elk stolen at gunpoint. Cougars arnt a concern except when I'm trapping an they seem to follow me around.. probably due to my wool smelling like beaver an bobcat piss 🤣

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top