JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seldom carried a handgun when rifle or shotgun hunting but always carried a handgun when archery hunting. Always carry a handgun when fishing, especially in rattlesnake country.
I noticed that you used the past tenc e when referring to shotgun/rifle hunting. Have you stopped hunting? If so why? I archery hunt with a airbow. The fpe and speed developed from a whisper-quiet arrow release is inspiring. I don't hunt as much as I used to. And I own the prime property in the area what isn't gamelands restricted. I am getting sorry and sorrier everyday. But by not leaving my scent trails I have let the wildlife relax some. Boy oh boy there has been some monster whitetail and "blackies" harvested here. Fancy Gap,Va just north of here, had a reporting of a 750#er last year. That's about 10 mile across the valley as the crow flies. It is within eyesight. Primo bear/whitetail turkey also, habitat. Claw marks up high, and the size of the saplings and the severity of the "hornings" and "rubs" are signs of the big ones. Once, I was witnessing a fight between 2 big bucks when from over my shoulder came a juvenile 6-pointer to join in. The power and intensity displayed.!! The percussion of the impacts, one fell over a 10' rock cliff and the other one followed it over the edge only to go right back to the fight. It wasn't rifle season so I had my Circuit Judge loaded with defensive OOBuck only. And of course my Redhawk. Not the only fight I've witnessed but it was the most physically dynamic event I ever saw. BTW the 6 pointer tried to join in but was quickly suppressed by the dominant buck while the other aggressor rested. It was a real "National Geographic" moment. I could continue with tales of bobcat, hawk, skunk, hellbender, timber rattlers, chameleon, flying squirrel, coyotes and red wolf encounters but it would require a dissertation to include them all. I love my little cabin on the Old Indian Trail. There's no place like home.

I carry every minute of my Waking Life. And there is a gun beside me whenever/wherever I sleep.

Typically if I am in the woods it's either snowmobiling, Jeeping or dirt biking and maybe some hiking. Usually my 10 mm XDM Elite is in my pack.

I carry a 9mm or 10mm every time I am in the woods. I know that I will most likely not need to use it but the added security is important to me. I carry everyday so I tend to feel naked if I don't have a gun with me.

Two friends of mine were attacked by a bear they were hunting. The bear circled around their spot and came down on them from behind. Luckily one had a .44. The one telling me the story said they would not have made it in time with the bolt action rifles. And don't expect a 9mm to rescue you from a bear.

I carry every minute of my Waking Life. And there is a gun beside me whenever/wherever I sleep.

Typically if I am in the woods it's either snowmobiling, Jeeping or dirt biking and maybe some hiking. Usually my 10 mm XDM Elite is in my pack.
That gets it done. I love the firepower an open forum brings to bear on discussion.

Two friends of mine were attacked by a bear they were hunting. The bear circled around their spot and came down on them from behind. Luckily one had a .44. The one telling me the story said they would not have made it in time with the bolt action rifles. And don't expect a 9mm to rescue you from a bear.
Great story! Good to have 2 men when in bear country. Good thing they brought their nerve with them too. Fear paralyzes some. Confidence required in the remote wooded lands. I am often alone. That calm under fire provides security but not invincibility. No matter what I am armed with there no better weapon as being forewarned. Don't be a statistic! Act accordingly

You and I both have faced being humanly outnumbered in the remote wilderness. Deliberately miles away from the nearest established road. They knew I went in and were waiting on me 2 days later carrying deer hams in my pack, crossbow(awesomely lethal but hard to reload running), and two 45s(theres a strategy in that also). I surmised an ambush so I was expecting and took the high road out, waited for the liquor to run out about dark they went for a refill. Meanwhile 45s and I slipped down to my little truck and puttered right by their wide eyes and open mouths. They never touched the truck! No confrontation required. Keeps a man out of the clink. Right or wrong. Trash will be trash. America, let's take out the trash 1 American 1 vote. Naturalized. Documented. Otherwise legally here. Bring your ID to the polls so it can be checked against the ledger vote. Every allowance made for the homebound ,blind, or otherwise unable to travel. I believe in an allowance to use the local public ,taxpayer subsidized transportation system. 1 American, 1 vote. No exceptions
Well done. Good situational awareness. Being able to read body language, seeing your possible antagonists looks between each other, and assess your situation is priceless. That's why your able to tell the tale.

I've heard them all too. In the corps it was "Injun". Now it goes from Chief to Bear.(a few tried squaw, but only once)Not far off the mark since I own a decent size piece of bear habitat which adjoins other conservancy owned lands. My private road sign and property is listed as Old Indian Trail. I did the legwork to get it listed as such. Its not original. I found a map from a county next that had an obscure map showing a dotted line labeled "Old Indian Trail ". Later maps showed improvements from wagon trail to a 4WD road. It was the original road up the mountain from present day Surry County, NC to Alleghany County,NC. I have a cabin in the woods. One way in one way out. Mountain springs and wildlife abound! I love to share with those that appreciate mother nature as untouched as I could make it for the last 26 years. It has suffered County line changes, which was "undetermined" until 15 years ago. By the way.the old road has been bulldozed shut leaving only a blackberry lined 4wd trail to my cabin. If you're ever in the area go to Foxhunters Paradise overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My place is on the precipice between the two counties. I would offer a personal showing but with todays deviants I don't trust blindly.
I had a buddy that moved back to NC, he was an effective hunter, fisherman. Always wondered how good is the hunting there to move away from Oregon in the 90's. Now I'm so ready to leave.

Because I almost always hunt alone I feel a little more vulnerable. Have had to use a pistol twice for bear confrontations over the years (last time was 2022 in SW Oregon). Also had a cougar do a little stalking on me years ago on a backpacking trip. On another backpack trip I hiked in over 17 miles from the trailhead and ran into two weirdo guys that uhhhh had some weird ideas. Over the years all I can say is that I am just not very lucky. So, for that reason I always carry either a G20 (10mm) or a G17 (9mm). I realize the 9mm is considered too lite, but the 147g hardcast +P and 147g XTP HPs +P do really good in penetration tests and I can get a bunch of shots downrange pretty quick. I try to go to the shooting range at least twice a month to stay in practice. When I am in the woods I always carry an extra magazine or two as well.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads