JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?

Nothing less than .357 or equivalent with expanding bullets. You need both penetration and stopping power.

That is what I carry when I'm working or hiking in the woods. A rifle or shotgun is even better but can't be carried out of hunting season w/o risk of hassle from LEOs. A buddy shot one in the midst of it charging down on his 12yr old while hunting and he said it wasn't easy to stop.

Option 1:
-357 or larger pistol
-rearview mirrors on your cap. (lions prefer to attack from behind)
-large ball of twine

Method:
If you see a lion following you, throw the ball of twine (optional). Then while it's distracted playing with the ball of twine(unlikely)...shoot it! Tell the Ranger you attempted to get away by distracting the cat but you were forced to shoot it.

OR.....

Option 2:

-22lr pistol
-a hiking buddy that you don't much like (maybe a hipster or PETA member?)

Method...use the 22 pistol to shoot buddy in the legs, run like he1l.

OR.....

Option 3:
-big ol' monster caliber revolver
-hiking buddy you sorta like (should be shorter, fatter, slower than you)

Method... if you see lion sneaking up behind, turn and shoot it. If it attacks from the front, turn and run, then turn again and shoot it while it's chewing on your shorter, fatter, slower hiking buddy.

OR.....

Option 4:
-Pick up your best bud after telling your wife you're going "hiking"
-go to a breakfast buffet
-go to a good gun store and look at big revolvers
-go to a friendly bar

Method:
While you're chewing on waffles and bacon between hiking several times around the buffet, devise a story of how you chased off a mountain lion by sticking it with your knife, pick up your buddy's meal and bar tab so he'll back up your story. Tell your wife that you really don't think you can talk about now...and don't forget to add "all I could think of at the time, (sigh) was if I would make it home to you".
You're not doing anything wrong...
....After all, there really was some "hiking" and "Lyin'" involved:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I'm a fan of the .357 mag with Barnes copper bullets.

Like someone else said, they are ambush predators and if your attacked and didn't realize it was there I'd want something I could access fast.

I used to own a S&W .41 magnum with 4" barrel... would be great for this. Powerful but not as much muzzle rise as .44mag.

Agree with 10mm and 45LC.:cool:

I carry a Chiappa Rhino 200ds while hiking loaded with 357. I like it because it's fairly lightweight and compact but still a 357. I have the black finish version and after many long often wet hikes it still looks great.

I've been wanting to get a Glock 29, more rounds capacity in a small form factor, still quite a bit of power.

Not to be a jerk, but I've felt the hairs on the back of my neck go up when elk hunting with cougar around and a .30-06 in my hands at dusk. Fully clothed and well armed and I felt nekkid!

Cougars are pretty smart. You might never see the one that gets you so a good pistol IMHO is just to make one feel better, like you've got a bit of a chance.

If I was to do a lot of hunting in cougar country I'd suggest .357, or 38 super, or 10 mm AND a good hunting dog. Thats me personally.

There was a big, strong, wiley cougar that was using NORTHWEST Trek about 20 years ago as his personal hunting preserve. I mean he picked and chose nice elk and deer for months and months....and it took forever for DF&W to trank him and relocate him. Seems he was using the tall fences to pen his quarry in and then he'd just use the trees to leave.

I also saw one clear a state 2 lane highway with good sized shoulders in one bound from the center line. He came out of the brush flying as I rounded a corner, he landed almost exactly on the centerline and landed the second time somewhere in the timber. I am guessing he was chasing a deer. Broad daylight in the summer in the S curves on Highway 7 near Divide, WA.

YMMV
Brutus Out

Doesn't matter what it is. Just remember it came after you.

Following suit; 357 on one side and a knife on the other.

That's fhe important part. Have something available for either hand.

Second the knife...

I'd just take any old 9mm pistol. However I'd wonder about protecting the back of my neck somehow...

Not that I actually do that in the woods, but still it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea.

A man stopper will also in my opinion stop a Cougar. 9mm and up.
You wont be shooting way off most likely so you need something you are comfortable with and can fire accurately quickly. Often times with wild animals the Adrenalin is so pumped in them they wont notice unless its got stopping power as in will drop it as it stands. A 9mm probably would work. But a 40SW HP 185gr and up would give you a better chance at dropping it.
My fear also with very high calibers is recoil and if need get a second or third off, in the 9mm and 40 range control is pretty easy. Start getting up to 357 and 45 recoil gets more of a problem when you are staring down a cougar you want to make sure the shots count. Ive never had to stare down a cougar other then one in (black lace ) so this is speculative at best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top