JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20180620_163011.jpg

Top is my Ruger American Predator in 223. Muzzle brake installed because it seems to like having a muzzle device...groups tighten up a little bit with something hanging off its snout. Harmonics I guess...
Bottom is my Mossberg MVP in 5.56 NATO.

Why not go with an AR?
They take AR mags

I had somebody ask me that when I bought my Tikka. Actually it was more like "You have a pile of AR's. Why would you want a Tikka in the same caliber?"

My answer "There's just something about a bolt action rifle that gets my motor running." :D

Why not go with an AR?
They take AR mags
People ask me this about my Ruger a lot.

I really don't have an answer. I just wanted a bolt gun in the caliber that took the mags I had lying around.

I guess if anything, it may not be on any ban list?

My 40X .223 will flat out NOT chamber 5.56 with out effort, and extraction is very stiff, so I don't run 5.56 in it! My Savage didn't really like 5.56 ether! :eek:
Some rifles with tight match chambers in .233 will likely be much the same! Don' know about the Tigers, but if they follow the rest of their Rifle specs, I would bet they are kind of tight too!:)

And my Ruger 77 Varmint also will not accept 5.56 loads.:cool:

Yeah I get it, There's also something about a bolt .223/5.56 that screams tack driver.
If I sell the firearms I have in the classifieds I might have some left over and see what y'all are yammering about

@SKrueger, I realized I never addressed your thread title. So here you go.

Mossberg MVP? Meh. Sloppy bolts and average accuracy. Of course, YMMV.

@SKrueger, I realized I never addressed your thread title. So here you go.

Mossberg MVP? Meh. Sloppy bolts and average accuracy. Of course, YMMV.

This is also an interesting observation. The bolt on my MVP is finished nicer, and is smoother operating than my American Ranch. But they both operate as designed.

@LuckySG out of curiosity does Tikka make a 5.56 model that you can find with a threaded barrel or just the .223 version? If Tikka made a 5.56 I would be hard pressed not to go that route.

If not Ruger Ranch it is! :D

I'd go with the CZ 527 Varmint
American style stock
True Mini Mauser action
Fat barrel
.223/5.56
And I'd get the flush mags...don't like mags hangin' down from a bolt gun.

My personal varmint rigs are M700 Varmint Specials

I had a Savage .223 SS bolt rifle and it wasn't a bad shooter. But my AR built for accuracy would outshoot it and the other ARs were just as accurate so it went down the road. I like CZs also but something about the Ruger Ranch 5.56 makes me want to try one. A handy 16" threaded barrel , bolt rifle like the Ranch with a good trigger does sound fun. But I am liking rifles with good iron sights for backup these days. The Ruger American 22 wmr is next for me. 2-300 yards to push your limits instead of 5-600 yards needed.

For Mossberg it would be the MVP LRT for me.
27698-catalog.jpg

I vote for the Ruger American Ranch also. Takes AR mags, crazy accurate, and fun to shoot. It does have a threaded barrel, I like it so much, I bought one in 762x39 also. :)
Not to get off topic, but how do you like it?! Ive never talked with someone who owns one. Any issues with steel case stuff or does it eat everything?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top