JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What year was yours manufactured? I wonder if they changed things. I might have to call them.
I'll have to check the box, but I bought it this year shortly after their release.

I bet it's just a typo on their website.

556 NATO here too- Ruger
DSCN3887.JPG

Just like the title says. I want to purchase a bolt action rifle for varmint hunting. I have a stock pile of 5.56 but don't own or shoot 223.

I really want to buy a Tikka in 5.56 but can't find one. They are all chambered in 223. WTF Tikka get with the program will ya!! o_O

So I am reaching out to you guys to see what you have and what you like and why. Lay it on me boys and girls.:D
Mossberg MVP 308...love all of mine

boy did you open the can buddy!
You know me, Tikka all the way.
That said, I have at one time had a Savage walking predator .223 that at the time was the only rifle with a 1/8 twist! After that was a 700 with a 24 inch 1/9 twist that was every bit as accurate as any. A Ruger American Predator is tops on my list, I like the option of using AR mags, the barrel threaded and the faster twist rate. It's also well priced and Boyds makes a few stocks to really make it perfect! I' always a Tikka guy, But I'm also a die hard fan boy of Ruger Rifles, so I gotta go with the Ruger on this one, it's far cheaper then the Tikka, almost Tikka quality, and with the options of mods, it's almost a no brainer!
As to the Mossberg, my brother has the twin, and while it's a very nice shooter, my old Savage shot circles around it, and I have seen the Ruger do at least as good!:D
There is always @Kruejl to show what a Sweet Tikka in .223 can do!:D:D:D
I'm gonna hit up @LuckySG and see if he can get an American Predator for me in the next month or two! Make a Sweet second to my two gun battery of bolties!

boy did you open the can buddy!
You know me, Tikka all the way.
That said, I have at one time had a Savage walking predator .223 that at the time was the only rifle with a 1/8 twist! After that was a 700 with a 24 inch 1/9 twist that was every bit as accurate as any. A Ruger American Predator is tops on my list, I like the option of using AR mags, the barrel threaded and the faster twist rate. It's also well priced and Boyds makes a few stocks to really make it perfect! I' always a Tikka guy, But I'm also a die hard fan boy of Ruger Rifles, so I gotta go with the Ruger on this one, it's far cheaper then the Tikka, almost Tikka quality, and with the options of mods, it's almost a no brainer!
As to the Mossberg, my brother has the twin, and while it's a very nice shooter, my old Savage shot circles around it, and I have seen the Ruger do at least as good!:D
There is always @Kruejl to show what a Sweet Tikka in .223 can do!:D:D:D
I'm gonna hit up @LuckySG and see if he can get an American Predator for me in the next month or two! Make a Sweet second to my two gun battery of bolties!

Maybe a discount for two! :p:D

LOL the main reason I've always bought .223 instead of 5.56 was because I had hoped to one day get a .223 bolt action rifle and didn't want to worry about keeping things straight versus my AR's. And I ended up with my Tikka so I guess that was kinda smart of me. :D

Bet you now wished you did the same thing. :p:p

LOL the main reason I've always bought .223 instead of 5.56 was because I had hoped to one day get a .223 bolt action rifle and didn't want to worry about keeping things straight versus my AR's. And I ended up my Tikka so I guess that was kinda smart of me. :D

Bet you now wished you did the same thing. :p:p

Maybe but you are thinking of selling your RPR for a Tikka :p:D

Ah, if a 5.56 round snuck it's way in, I don't think my tikka would have any problems with the pressure. I think I read somewhere they proof their chambers to 100k PSI.

I shot many 556 rounds in my 223 chambered guns.

I do consider myself an outlaw though.

I believe @LuckySG does a discount for Vets if ya show a DD214 or something, maybe a good buddy discount for supporting members ( which I gotta renew:() don't know, Need to ask! :)
No need for any papers on my end! I am a firm believer that terrible things eventually happen to people who lie about protecting this great nation to save a couple bucks. There is always a discount for supporting members, It is how I price things on here.

I see a fantastic group buy option here for some Rugers if we can get enough people together on the same caliber rifle, or a limited number of calibers, it could be under my regular cost to bring them in and I will gladly pass on the savings! Some models 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win (bold) are priced just as low with Davidson's so who wouldn't want the card to never wait for a repair empty handed?

Assuming a 10-rifle sale these would be the prices out the door including background check...

American_Predator.png

To not sidetrack this conversation I have set up an ad in my little section for anyone that want in and hammer/yammer away on the options. Getting a Group Buy together for Ruger American Predators

There remains so much misinformation between the .223 and 5.56.

The pressures are close enough to the same to be a non-issue.

The differences are, a 5.56 has a longer freebore, to allow heavier bullets with an ogive farther forward. A .223 has a shorter freebore. A heavier bullet may cause the longer ogive to contact the rifling before the cartridge is completely chambered. This could cause stiff chambering to not chambering at all. It could push the bullet into the case a tad bit, and could cause an over pressure. It may be an issue with some guns and not others. My experience... a 52 gr 5.56 load will chamber in many .223 chambers, where a 62 grain or heavier, or even differences between bullet designs and bullet seating depth, may not.

hornoaldiagram2.jpg

Is There a Difference Between .223 and 5.56? | The Arms Guide

Last Edited:
My 40X .223 will flat out NOT chamber 5.56 with out effort, and extraction is very stiff, so I don't run 5.56 in it! My Savage didn't really like 5.56 ether! :eek:
Some rifles with tight match chambers in .233 will likely be much the same! Don' know about the Tigers, but if they follow the rest of their Rifle specs, I would bet they are kind of tight too!:)

No need for any papers on my end! I am a firm believer that terrible things eventually happen to people who lie about protecting this great nation to save a couple bucks. There is always a discount for supporting members, It is how I price things on here.

I see a fantastic group buy option here for some Rugers if we can get enough people together on the same caliber rifle, or a limited number of calibers, it could be under my regular cost to bring them in and I will gladly pass on the savings! Some models 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win (bold) are priced just as low with Davidson's so who wouldn't want the card to never wait for a repair empty handed?

Assuming a 10-rifle sale these would be the prices out the door including background check...

View attachment 471127

To not sidetrack this conversation I have set up an ad in my little section for anyone that want in and hammer/yammer away on the options. Getting a Group Buy together for Ruger American Predators

If this can/will include just the regular threaded 16" 5.56 ar mag one I'm in. Not looking for a 22 incher right now but what a great deal!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top