JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just like the title says. I want to purchase a bolt action rifle for varmint hunting. I have a stock pile of 5.56 but don't own or shoot 223.

I really want to buy a Tikka in 5.56 but can't find one. They are all chambered in 223. WTF Tikka get with the program will ya!! o_O

So I am reaching out to you guys to see what you have and what you like and why. Lay it on me boys and girls.:D

I like my ruger America ranch in 556. 16" barrel and it takes regular AR mags.

Internet picture.

26965.jpg

Ive seen a few used at gun shops in the mid 300s but didnt check for threaded barrels. Sportsmans, Cabelas, and Fishermans Marine carries them. Might want to give them a holler.

I like the CZ 527 carbine...According to the CZ web site it will safely shoot both .223 and 5.56...
The biggest downside to a CZ Carbine is the magazines....they are around $40 or so each...:eek:
Andy

$40 o_O If I was rich I would have one custom built! :D I do like the idea of using AR mags since I have one or two of those:rolleyes:

I've got both an MVP and a Ruger American Predator in 223/5.56. They are pretty much equal in accuracy. The bolt on the MVP is sloppy and tended to bind at first, but has smoothed out over the course of a few hundred cycles. The bolt on the Ruger is decent, if you can get over the "zzzzt" noise it makes from the machine marks on the bolt rubbing the inside of the action. Both are good, neither is perfect and I don't feel at any disadvantage using either of them for their intended purpose... vermin. If I had to pick one over the other it would probably be the Ruger because of the threaded barrel.

I've got both an MVP and a Ruger American Predator in 223/5.56. They are pretty much equal in accuracy. The bolt on the MVP is sloppy and tended to bind at first, but has smoothed out over the course of a few hundred cycles. The bolt on the Ruger is decent, if you can get over the "zzzzt" noise it makes from the machine marks on the bolt rubbing the inside of the action. Both are good, neither is perfect and I don't feel at any disadvantage using either of them for their intended purpose... vermin.

Good info Thanks!

YEAH, the Mossberg MVP in 308
Two types of .308 mags.. whats not to love?!

Ive held off from the MVP 5.56 because of the small bolt shelf it has. Im sure its strong enough to last over time.. but its a small flange on the bolt that Im sure Id snap off and then have to deal with CS for.

Now that ruger has their version that accepts AR mags, Ive seriously considered picking one up.

I vote for the Ruger American Ranch also. Takes AR mags, crazy accurate, and fun to shoot. It does have a threaded barrel, I like it so much, I bought one in 762x39 also. :)

Having owned and/or shot multiples of the American and Mossberg, I'd say flip a coin. They are both very decent shooters.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews