JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i applied jb weld to my mossberg 88 bead to fit a sight onto the bead, however I am now realizing the sight is slightly off. Is there any way to get it off and redo it?

Last Edited:
Pics will help. Most likely the judicious use of a small chisel might do the job. If there is enough to grasp with pliers, you might lever it off. Worst case scenario barrels are not all that expensive.

Pics will help. Most likely the judicious use of a small chisel might do the job. If there is enough to grasp with pliers, you might lever it off. Worst case scenario barrels are not all that expensive.
seems unlikely i can get a chisel in it..

20230331_014355.jpg

Just a little heat with a butane "crack pipe" torch.

Joe
This. A some high heat.

I've used it to repair valve covers, fill in unwanted marks on lowers and barrels. It will take a lot of heat and hammering but if you go at it with high heat, the polymers will melt. Don't chisel on it; go with heat.

Just a little heat with a butane "crack pipe" torch.

Joe
This. It does take heating the surfaces to 600 degrees that may have an affect on finishes. You might consider using a welders blanket (carbon felt) to cover all areas except the area you want to heat.

The other, safer, option for a small bit like that is using a solder iron/gun for directed heat. Not all soldering irons will get hot enough though so check the specs.

There are chemical options using acetone and vinegar... some people say... but I've found that really only works cleaning up excess and doesn't do well getting into the actual bonded area. Mechanical effort is still required. YMMV

Soldering iron. Not torch. Press biggest tip you own to sight. It will heat up without really heating up the surrounding metals.

I wanna know where you going to find a crack smoker that will give up their torch?
I bet you'll have pay them? :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I wanna know where you going to find a crack smoker that will give up their pipe?
I bet you'll have pay them? :rolleyes:
That flew right over my head. When I read it I though he was talking about a plumbers torch. You know... for cracking apart old metal pipe welds... "crack pipe torch". 🤣

Who says this forum isn't educational.... ya wonderful degenerates!!:s0140:

Yes, it's easy to scorch a blued surface with a torch. I'm wondering how well the surface was prepared prior to the initial JB Weld bonding. It might be that a little pressure might dislodge the sight. Dollars to doughnuts if you didn't want it to come off, a little unintentional bump would knock it away. When you want it to come off, it's on like the Rock of Gibraltar.

This. It does take heating the surfaces to 600 degrees that may have an affect on finishes. You might consider using a welders blanket (carbon felt) to cover all areas except the area you want to heat.

The other, safer, option for a small bit like that is using a solder iron/gun for directed heat. Not all soldering irons will get hot enough though so check the specs.

There are chemical options using acetone and vinegar... some people say... but I've found that really only works cleaning up excess and doesn't do well getting into the actual bonded area. Mechanical effort is still required. YMMV
If you use a tight flame, try wash cloth soaked in water - it helps reduce the thermal transfer.

Pound a couple beers before hitting the range. Those sights'll magically line right up!

Simple solutions for complex problems!

(Oops... Was that my outside voice?) ;)

OK. The pic changes everything. My impression was that it was a bead added to the original blade. A bead is one thing. The entire sight is quite another. You could email J-B and ask how to remove - but it is going to be ugly. Otherwise, live with it, spend more than a new barrel to have it professionally removed or just dtch the tube and re-barrel it. Mav88 barrels are pretty cheap, comparatively speaking.

You can buy a butane lighter just about anywhere. Especially in those minute marts that sell lots of glass vase with the little water level filler at the bottom.

Or if you have longer than an 18" barrel, go to Honedepot and get a pipe cutter, masking tape and some sand paper. Mask it, cut it, sand it and then put some cold bluing on it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews