JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can buy a butane lighter just about anywhere. Especially in those minute marts that sell lots of glass vase with the little water level filler at the bottom.

Or if you have longer than an 18" barrel, go to Honedepot and get a pipe cutter, masking tape and some sand paper. Mask it, cut it, sand it and then put some cold bluing on it.
@Joe13 helped me do exactly this to a cheap single shot. Not because of the sight, but because I wanted it shorter. Worked perfectly and honestly hard to tell it isn't factory.

You can buy a butane lighter just about anywhere. Especially in those minute marts that sell lots of glass vase with the little water level filler at the bottom.

Or if you have longer than an 18" barrel, go to Honedepot and get a pipe cutter, masking tape and some sand paper. Mask it, cut it, sand it and then put some cold bluing on it.
what do i do with a butane lighter

3 options to remove JB weld:

Heat to at least 600 degrees
Acetone/vinegar soak
Mechanical removal such as grinding.
again, what do i do with a butane lighter. flip the barrel upside down and light the sight directly???

again, what do i do with a butane lighter. flip the barrel upside down and light the sight directly???
If it was mine, I'd heat it from underneath inside the barrel along with the sight itself. Be patient, go easy and even and it will probably pop off. But you will end up with discoloration.

@Reno idea of a soldering gun with a wide tip is good too. But you'll need a high watt gun, not a pen.

... But you'll need a high watt gun, not a pen.
They have some pretty high wattage pens these days that'll get hot enough. I've seen some cheapos that'll do 100watt. I doubt they last long, but for an occassional job like that... they don't have to. Prolonged session use is generally what kills those cheap ones.

A gun is better, but also going to cost more and maybe not economical just for a one off.

They have some pretty high wattage pens these days that'll get hot enough. I've seen some cheapos that'll do 100watt. I doubt they last long, but for an occassional job like that... they don't have to. Prolonged session use is generally what kills those cheap ones.

A gun is better, but also going to cost more and maybe not economical just for a one off.
The last cheap pen I bought was definitely underpowered for more than just light soldering work. Amazon has some guns under $50, but I get your point. :)

My high watt pen won't do JB Weld FWIW (And I solder on guitars so I do not use solder guns, but that is a different discussion) I have had success with targeted heat inside the barrel and a wet rag. Then I followed up with an acetone soak.

BFH for the win!

1680287050842.jpeg

Just know that if you heat that barrel up to 600 degrees…

1. It will discolor it a fair ways down the barrel unless you mitigate it with wet rags or whatnot.

2. 600 degrees makes the JB weld liquid so you are going to have residue all over the front of the barrel.

It was typed light heartedly but if it were mine and longer then 18" I'd just cut off the front 2" and try again.

Or save the money and time and just buy another barrel for it.

guys i dont have a workshop and torches and welding equipment
Then take it to a smith and get it done properly. JB weld is bubblegum for everything. This needs to be silver-soldered and properly aligned.

It sounds like you don't have much experience or capability, which is fine. But if you want it done right, either learn and spend some money on tools and time to practice, or take it to a professional.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top