JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You didn't specifically mention weight or the use of AR mags in your OP, so I assume you're open to various options. How about the Ruger Gunsite Scout? It's available in 5.56 and the Scouts are great rifles. I had one in .308 a few years back but sold it to help fund the M1A. Got the threaded barrel for a suppressor too. And I think the wood looks really nice. 16" barrel, 7.1lbs.

F0EDAA66-7E49-4BE5-BE28-2B959A588A3C.jpeg

Great question. What kind of groups are you guys getting that own them? I know that @Kruejl has a Tikka in .223 and that thing is a tac driver! my problem is I need a 5.56.
My bulk reloads, 24g-ish 2230 behind usually a 55g bullet mixed head stamp are doing about an inch at 100. I've only shot some high end factory stuff through it, no inexpensive bulk type stuff.

I have zero issues connecting with a 9"x11" 1/2 size torso target at up to 500 yards almost every shot.

Consider the weight too, as I used to shoot a remmy tactical, with its bull barrel.

You didn't specifically mention weight or the use of AR mags in your OP, so I assume you're open to various options. How about the Ruger Gunsite Scout? It's available in 5.56 and the Scouts are great rifles. I had one in .308 a few years back but sold it to help fund the M1A. Got the threaded barrel for a suppressor too. And I think the wood looks really nice. 16" barrel, 7.1lbs.

View attachment 471051

I love the wood looking stock. Do they make that in a longer barrel length? I was thinking about a 18" barrel. What is everyone's thought on that. Does a longer barrel give you more accuracy?

My bulk reloads, 24g-ish 2230 behind usually a 55g bullet mixed head stamp are doing about an inch at 100. I've only shot some high end factory stuff through it, no inexpensive bulk type stuff.

I have zero issues connecting with a 9"x11" 1/2 size torso target at up to 500 yards almost every shot.

Consider the weight too, as I used to shoot a remmy tactical, with its bull barrel.

Thats pretty damn good! I would be happy with that all day long.

Just like the title says. I want to purchase a bolt action rifle for varmint hunting. I have a stock pile of 5.56 but don't own or shoot 223.

I really want to buy a Tikka in 5.56 but can't find one. They are all chambered in 223. WTF Tikka get with the program will ya!! o_O

So I am reaching out to you guys to see what you have and what you like and why. Lay it on me boys and girls.:D
ruger american ranch in 5.56.

I love the wood looking stock. Do they make that in a longer barrel length? I was thinking about a 18" barrel. What is everyone's thought on that. Does a longer barrel give you more accuracy?

I know that my side charge AR with a 16" barrel is sub moa at 100 but, I don't reload so wasn't sure if longer is better.

More velocity does not always equal accuracy. You will lose velocity the shorter you go, doesn't mean they won't put bullets in a small group.

The predator version is an 18" barrel.

26944.jpg

The .223/5.56 is a very forgiving and inherently accurate cartridge. I don't think I've ever owned a bolt action .223 that wouldn't shoot sub-1" groups, even with bulk XM193 ammo.

So...I have owned two of the short barreled MVP's in .223. The first one, with a wood stock, scoped, would easily shoot sub-1" groups. I sold that rifle and bought another, nearly identical, except my second one is polymer-stocked. I've only shot the second one with the factory iron sights, but there's no reason for me to think it's any less accurate than the first one.

Now for the American...I've shot one at the range in .223. I wasn't keeping notes since it was not my rifle, but it seemed just as accurate as any other .223. And I've owned and/or shot two more Americans in 7.62x39. With quality ammo, they are surprisingly accurate, even considering the cartridge. The American, in spite of the small price tag, is a very accurate rifle.

Because of this discussion, I will now mount a scope on my Mossberg, and do a little finer testing.

Not in 5.56. In .308 and 6.5 Creedmor you can get it in 18".

I have checked before - the one note in my mind was that 18" over 16" will give you maybe 50fps gain, so not a huge improvement. Can't say for overall accuracy though.

With quality ammo, they are surprisingly accurate, even considering the cartridge
They can be accurate, the round just gets a bad rep due to the common use of wolf and tula...

I've found some of the surplus I was able to get my hands on do better than tula and wolf typically do. Of course, then there's Hornady that even makes bottom of the barrel imported (excluding pioneer arms) AKs look accurate.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top