JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The difference between now and SHTF is that we do have law enforcement. In the supposed SHTF scenario, "marauders" are not arrested so the response falls directly on citizens.
I like history and every generation seems to have a title for the criminal element. Highwaymen, outlaws, brigands and so on. Yet good guys fight em and more bad guys take their place.

Last Edited:
Personally, I prefer the welcome wagon to be a neighborhood affair with fire coming from as many different directions and people as possible until such time as there is either:

1) No one left standing or
2) No ammo left

Sounds like you have better neighbors than I do. I could coordinate with my 92 year old Chosin Valley Korean Vet neighbor, or the IT guy who knows what's up, but after that, the rest are just distractions.

Don't we have marauders now? Basically people who commit crimes get "detained" and walk free the same day? Arrested 60 or 70 times and keep escalating until they take someone 's life and are finally locked up for a few years. Then they are set loose to do it again.
what the hell is wrong with this picture?
Yup.

However the law abiding also have the veneer of law to follow currently, with punitive consequences preventing vigilante response.

Remove the veneer? "Simple" property crime COULD be deemed a threat survival and dealt with swiftly. Heck a simple verbal threat could be deemed such as well.

No sense pondering such, really, other than as an academic exercise. What ever will be, will be.

We'll help those we want to, if we can.

Sounds like you have better neighbors than I do. I could coordinate with my 92 year old Chosin Valley Korean Vet neighbor, or the IT guy who knows what's up, but after that, the rest are just distractions.
So far only one neighbor is questionable, but he is near the top of the road so might be one of the first to get hit... :D

Seriously, they seem to be good neighbors, but just lost one to Montana - we'll see how their replacements pan out.

I plan to move though, so the end result is unknown.

The difference between now and SHTF is that we do have law enforcement. In the supposed SHTF scenario, "marauders" are not arrested so the response falls directly on citizens.
I don't remember the name of the federal law that was passed, but I believe it makes it "legal" for the feds to send out uniformed goon squads to confiscate whatever they want, if they deem it "necessary". My guess is that the state and local governments would do the same.

If food got extremely scarce, it's likely that we would have to deal with "legal" thugs right along with the unofficial ones.

It might be a good idea to have our preps hidden, along with most of the fighting guns and ammunition. If they can't find it, then they can't take it. (Assuming that they got the drop on you, and are taking your supplies.)

Remember this?

Last Edited:
The vast majority of the defensive plans in our community MAP (Mutual Assistance Pact) were drawn up specifically with marauders in mind. We have numerous attack scenarios laid out and appropriate defensive strategies formulated. As with all things related to "prepping", it's a continual work in progress and is a discussion topic at every quarterly meeting.

Yup.

However the law abiding also have the veneer of law to follow currently, with punitive consequences preventing vigilante response.

Remove the veneer? "Simple" property crime COULD be deemed a threat survival and dealt with swiftly. Heck a simple verbal threat could be deemed such as well.

No sense pondering such, really, other than as an academic exercise. What ever will be, will be.

We'll help those we want to, if we can.
I recall a book I read. SHTF fiction type. Where a neighborhood was dealing with the collapse within a week of it happening. The HOA nazi lady threatened the life of the main character and his family, he put one in her head right there in the spot in front of the same neighbors that were hanging up on him and his family as he was a prepper.

That part stuck with me. The reality of it. How far others will turn, how fast you'll need to change.

I recall a book I read. SHTF fiction type. Where a neighborhood was dealing with the collapse within a week of it happening. The HOA nazi lady threatened the life of the main character and his family, he put one in her head right there in the spot in front of the same neighbors that were hanging up on him and his family as he was a prepper.

That part stuck with me. The reality of it. How far others will turn, how fast you'll need to change.
I wrote a PAW fiction story where an old man shot a young punk he had warned off, after the punk threatened him with coming back to "take care of him". The old man's stated reasoning was, why wait? Take care of it right there after the threat to his life.

Without rule of law, the rules change and quickly. Survival require adaptation to the current situation, within your morals of course. As long as there is rule of law (which respects individual rights), then I will live by the law, but if SHTF and there is no or little rule of law, then I must protect myself and what is mine in ways that the rule of law may not like.

_nc_ohc=cW9jMg-WfzEAX_6Iq7E&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

In these circle the wagons type fantasy scenarios some of you are indulging in, exactly who is in charge?
I'm not throwing shade (yet) . Just curious. 1 person executive and separate but equal multiple community representatives ? Election by popular vote? 1 from each family (or property)? Pure democracy? Pre established now, or framework to be implemented and acted upon after chaos erupts?

Just to make a small point again about comparing. Compare what the guy says he will do with what the lawless antifa and blm are doing. The active ones don't go to homes but rob and destroy businesses. I think they realize when they start on a neighborhood that good people will have no mercy on the criminals. Once the family is threatened people will defend themselves.

Just watching the riots tells you the thugs will go after all they can steal before ever risking life on homes they don't even know whats in them. :s0093:

In these circle the wagons type fantasy scenarios some of you are indulging in, exactly who is in charge?
I'm not throwing shade (yet) . Just curious. 1 person executive and separate but equal multiple community representatives ? Election by popular vote? 1 from each family (or property)? Pure democracy? Pre established now, or framework to be implemented and acted upon after chaos erupts?
I can take orders, I was married over 40 years. :s0140: :s0093:

I've been on several teams at work, and my neighborhood gets together every couple of years to decide how to fix our road. I think working with a consensus on how to proceed is often a good way to go. I also would defer to people with more experience in a given area of expertise. Previously that was a local who had Army experience, but that family just moved to Montana.

I also wonder how many decided by themselves that "they" are the defacto leader and would be a real Karen to be around

I'm betting @Dr Prepper doesn't have to decode the message above.

Edit. This ship is famous for having a swarm of cannibal rats aboard. It's like a microcosm of human civilization, endlessly adrift with no one at the helm . Just breeding and consuming each other in our own self destructive isolation. And the rest of the universe is just glad we're trapped on a floating prison, I would assume .

Last Edited:
Recalling an 'incident' that occurred at Lake Berryessa in Cali, the Zodiac killer had the girlfriend tie up the boyfriend and then the girlfriend was tied up. BOTH were murdered (stabbed)! Can you kill a rodent or chicken with your bare hands, pop the eye out of a kitten? Something to think about.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top