JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the moment...
My Winchester 62A...'cause its the firearm that is out and on hand with ammo.

Something to consider here is that in a "survival" situation , you many not have the firearm or items that you want with you, at that moment.
So instead of thinking : "That's all I got"....think this is what I got ...and make what you have work for you.
No need to curl up and wait to die , because you don't have your survival fantasy items with you.
Andy

One? Since I have more than one at home I assume I'm leaving with a go bag/pack. My HK SBR 5.56 with 77 gr. Fairly light weight. If wife is with me, also grab the 16.5 upper with ACOG, still technically 1 rifle.

Ruger 10/22 fixed 4x scope, 4-5 mags and couple bricks of ammo, with proper shot placement you and your family would be well fed small game on up and nobody wants 25 rds of 22 mag dumped on them protection wise

A 14" or so AR-15 in .223 Wylde...LPVO 1-6 or 1-8 or a Red Dot / 3x Combo.

Ammunition readily available (heh more or less these days).

Can take down medium to large game (more or less)...small game you will have to learn to trap or bow and arrow (which doesn't count as your one gun).

Definitely proven for self defense.

Not super-heavy and parts readily available.

Just one gun? I'd pick a Glock 19 - small enough to conceal and "big" enought to fight with. I'd imagine I'd not be looking for a fight and would be avoiding other people as best I could so something bigger and more powerful like a rifle or shotgun wouldn't be as "necessary" as I'd think concealment might be. God forbid we ever needed to get into a shelter, might be easier to get a smallish handgun in whereas a long gun might be a no-go.

If I get two guns I think a 11.5-inch AR in 5.56 would be best. While not necessarily "concealable" when tucked up into the armpit or slung across the chest a longer jacket can cover it up well. I like simple so Colt 6933 would be perfect for me. Lightweight barrel with FSP, CAR handguards, simple light mount and Aimpoint T2. Flash hider to mount suppressor if wanted. Gun is pretty light and easy to carry for long amounts of time. Maybe similar type deal with 14.5 or 16-inch barrel as an alternative - gotta love the Air Force GUU-5/P!

Get three guns? 308 bolt action hunting rifle. Stainless Remington Model 7 would be PERFECT! Lightweight, 20-inch barrel, simple 6x scope.

In then end though, IF this need ever arises, we'll have to pick up what we have on hand.

410 .22 under over either the old M6 or the savage 42 takedown. I'm taking survival to mean brush craft not urban combat.
Combo would be light use light common ammo would work small to large game.

Question leaves a lot of open ended questions, now if you have a 12gauge that opens you up to a very wide range of loads and custom loads. Combine that with a bunch of short lane adapters, you have a weapon capable of also fireing .22, .380, .9mm, .357, .45, etc.
As others have said What kind of survival?
Totally agree with this. One has to define the scenario. Fe is there rule of law and you are trying to get food?, or is it a SHTF/no rule of law?

Also agree about shotgun with adapters. I have the 22lr rifled adapters which work good. If u had many calibers of adapters you can use more found ammo.

Depending on the scenario I could be fine with semi auto shotgun with drum mags, pump, or even double barrel (coach gun fits in backpack broken down).

Or a 556 especially if it has telescopic or folding stock and 12.5"ish barrel. Very portable/concealable and effective.

I would also be fine with a suppressed full auto 22 in smaller size such as an mp5. 25 rounds in 0.7 seconds would be effective against a lot of targets. Portable, concealable, easy to carry tons of ammo. Subsonics would be nearly silent. Again depends on scenario.

Semi auto 308 in smaller size such as 12", 14"? barrel I would be fine with also. Choice depends on the scenario and realistically none of us would have only one gun I would hope. Every Gun will have limitations. That's why more is better. The guns I chose (I would not have just one) would compliment each other and probably not overlap that much. All would be portable and have standard easy to find ammo.

22lr at 2400 rpm

Trap shooting:p

Last Edited:
Totally agree with this. One has to define the scenario. Fe is there rule of law and you are trying to get food?, or is it a SHTF/no rule of law?

Also agree about shotgun with adapters. I have the 22lr rifled adapters which work good. If u had many calibers of adapters you can use more found ammo.

Depending on the scenario I could be fine with semi auto shotgun with drum mags, pump, or even double barrel (coach gun fits in backpack broken down).

Or a 556 especially if it has telescopic or folding stock and 12.5"ish barrel. Very portable/concealable and effective.

I would also be fine with a suppressed full auto 22 in smaller size such as an mp5. 25 rounds in 0.7 seconds would be effective against a lot of targets. Portable, concealable, easy to carry tons of ammo. Subsonics would be nearly silent. Again depends on scenario.

Semi auto 308 in smaller size such as 12", 14"? barrel I would be fine with also. Choice depends on the scenario and realistically none of us would have only one gun I would hope. Every Gun will have limitations. That's why more is better. The guns I chose (I would not have just one) would compliment each other and probably not overlap that much. All would be portable and have standard easy to find ammo.

22lr at 2400 rpm

Trap shooting:p
It's my first gun

For one gun it's a 10/22 with extra mags and a few bricks of ammo…More importantly, I want to know why people get hung up on this only one gun scenario. I can easily pack two pistols on my waist, a rifle in my hands and toss a pistol grip shotgun in my pack. Give me a vehicle and I can haul around a lot more. Why would you limit yourself to only just one

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top