JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another thing to consider, those who fully intend not to prep to survive but to steal your preps...and worse. I'm sure there will be elements of this everywhere. Likely though they will be hungry and stupid and get picked off by patriots.

It doesn't have to be some apocalyptic "SHTF". There are large and growing swaths of Mexico where the cartels are the local authority and operate with impunity. Ed Calderon thinks that it's not that far away from being reality in places here.

:s0140: had a couple of thoughts here but not for posting. However if their plan doesn't work out the end results will not be what they want. 440 million guns in America and someone says "you can't stop me". Can't say thats the sharpest knife in the drawer.:s0093:

can you say GANGS! already armed and somewhat organized. open borders wont help the good guys on this front either. weak in the city will join to survive and when the resources are gone their going to eat.

I read a lot but heck guys I don't know truth from fiction when it comes to today's media.

I think one of you guys made a good point about Mexican narco gangs and their behavior as a starting point for thugs being discussed. Its why I like reading opinions, guys here are pretty sharp...sometimes :s0093: :D

I occasionally run across people who have the notion that they'll simply "use their guns to take other people's food", etc.

Surprisingly, I've even seen it here on NWFA.

It's a terrible way to think, and would be a terrible way to try to "make a living". Such people might be successful in robbing and killing a few old geezers and getting away with it for a short while - but eventually the war veterans, the work-hardened farmers, the seasoned hunters, and the generally fed-up populace would hunt down and end every last one of them.

Based on what they've been saying for the past few years, some of my friends who are veterans would probably enjoy the exercise.

If things truly get bad, we're all going to need to work together to survive. And a goon squad roaming the countryside would just make life that much harder.

I'm roughly a 100 yd drive (80 by foot) from our Idaho Army National Guard armory ... does that make me more or less of a "marauder" target?
(Assuming they aren't the marauders)

I have read the thought that when the cops are gone breaking any law can become a death sentence. Its a short bleak future for folks if they turn criminal if that thinking is carried out.

I don't know the future, probably won't see shtf happen but being in a gang to rob and pillage my neighbors isn't a good choice to my mind. :s0093:

It's the ability to read individuals in a group quickly, and the willingness to act without hesitation or mercy that will defeat them.
See the alpha(s) and strike first. No Quarter.
"They won't go toe to toe with a stronger group." -- from the article

Maybe not, but they may find that a stronger, better armed and smarter group decides to go "toe to toe" with them. They may not know it at the time, but suckering someone who thinks they are taking on a small poorly armed/trained group into attacking what is actually a better armed/trained/etc. group is a valid strategy, or just plain getting a larger group together and wiping them out, together or separately, is a plan too.

Coming out and declaring oneself as a marauder with evil intentions is not particularly wise - they just put a target on their back.

If SHTF to the point that there are "marauders" attacking with impunity out there, then it will be time to be shooting them on site just like it will be time to be shooting feral dogs on site.

Last Edited:
I read the story on the potentially criminal activity and I compare with stories we have gone through life reading.

I don't believe that bunch would have a religious power that drives them like ISIS was in the middle east.

Probably be like the narco gangs to begin with but the narco gangs are about money and profit.

So the third choice is organized looters in a gang structure. They won't get far because they won't be able to loot enough to last a winter. Imho

With about two weeks worth of food in the average home and a quarter tank of gas in the average rig there just won't be much worth dying for to loot. Not much future in their criminal behavior.

Majority of the public can't keep tp in stock. :s0093:

One thing that always gets to me about a western movie (fiction) where a group of bullies or a single bully/bad guy, whatever, takes over a community, cowering them into submission, is that the whole community together outnumbers them, has guns, but just lets them have their way.

Now maybe this is how some people would react, maybe not. But I can't help but think - watching the fictional portrayal, that all they have to do is pick off the bad guys one at a time, or if just one guy, shoot him in the back with a rifle from a distance, or bushwack him with a shotgun - whatever works. The bad guys don't have eyes in the back of their heads and ambushing them could work well.

In a country where the guns outnumber the people, putting oneself out there as a marauder in a SHTF scenario, is just asking to get shot/stabbed/run over with a car - just plain killed then hung from a light post with the sign "Sic semper tyrannis" (or something to that effect) around their necks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top