JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Expected news. Sure, in the face of climate change, let's remove our sources of stored fresh water, for all kinds of imaginary reasons. I feel pretty safe in saying that, down to the last human, when you get thirsty, you are not going to give an F about some fish. One might contend that this is all about control.
The deal to drain Green Peter Res. was really something. Basically it killed a huge number, if not all, of popular game/food fish, destroyed a historical vacation recreation spot for thousands of people and dumped tons of sediment into the river. All so the salmon huggers could pretend to get historic runs of salmon back above the Res.

BUT, But, but....they got plenty of "coke".

Aloha, Mark

Maybe not after this water rationing….
Didn't read the article, but, is there really a water "Shortage"? Or is it like here, where there hasn't been extra water storage/sources developed for something like 80 years? Plenty of water, but governments sits on their thumbs and don't develop water storage for use by the common people?

Didn't read the article, but, is there really a water "Shortage"? Or is it like here, where there hasn't been extra water storage/sources developed for something like 80 years? Plenty of water, but governments sits on their thumbs and don't develop water storage for use by the common people?
But if you don't have sources/storage, you have a shortage (based on continuous demand). Don't you?

But if you don't have sources/storage, you have a shortage (based on continuous demand). Don't you?
Well you could look at it that way I guess. We're constantly hearing here in potland, and the surrounding area, that we need to be "Water Wise" I'm supposed to be water wise and the dumb bubblegums that call themselves public servants don't build more capacity for storage. And the rates keep going up with nothing to show for it. If you haven't, read some about the building of the Bull run system. Now THOSE folks were good servants to the public for their money!

The Portland Water Bureau was caught spending huge amounts of money from water rate revenue in violation of the rules prohibiting spending on non-water items. There was a settlement to the lawsuit that just gave them a light slap on the wrist and no individual was punished for it. That was at least a decade ago, and I'm willing to bet that water ratepayers are still financing unrelated activities.

The Portland Water Bureau was caught spending huge amounts of money from water rate revenue in violation of the rules prohibiting spending on non-water items. There was a settlement to the lawsuit that just gave them a light slap on the wrist and no individual was punished for it. That was at least a decade ago, and I'm willing to bet that water ratepayers are still financing unrelated activities.
1713049264823.png
Shut the front DOOR!

Every gov agency in Oregon probably does the same thing. Likely Example: Millions of $$$ spent stifling traffic in potland.

One of my neighbors bought the vineyard next door and decided to check on his water rights, and found out he doesn't have any, and they shut him down for watering his 20+ acres of grapes. He now has to truck his water in.

Legally because his well is a residential well, he can only legally irrigate 1/2 acre.

My well is about 22 gallons a minute, and I have water storage tanks for when the electricity goes out, which is gravity feed. I've got all the equipment to go solar with my well, but I'm saving it for emergency use. My tanks would last one to two weeks of summer garden watering. I only do drip, and channel watering. My property is on a slight slope which is great for water channels, especially the corn rows.

One of my neighbors bought the vineyard next door and decided to check on his water rights, and found out he doesn't have any, and they shut him down for watering his 20+ acres of grapes. He now has to truck his water in.

Legally because his well is a residential well, he can only legally irrigate 1/2 acre.

Wouldn't water rights be foremost in mind for buying any Ag property? Possible realtor legality issues in NOT disclosing such?

Wouldn't water rights be foremost in mind for buying any Ag property? Possible realtor legality issues in NOT disclosing such?
The realtors actually knew, and because of it most of them didn't want to list the property. It came down to just telling the truth that it was a residential well, and hoping the buyer didn't ask any questions, which they didn't until they went to the government and started asking questions. Three owners back of the original property put the grapes in, and had the well drilled. He kept putting in more and more grapes over the years, and he kept clearing trees off the property to do so.

Things that are done illegally don't usually come up until the property is sold, or a neighbor complains, or some inspector who's vising a site nearby spots the infraction.

I had one friend living illegally in a travel trailer, and using a buried storage tank for septic, without a leach field, and having the storage tank pumped about once a year, or when it filled up with poop.

I know a lot of people that use grey water for irrigation, which is illegal.

Talk to engineers and geologists instead of doomsayers.
There have been numerous Cascadia events in the 9.0+ scale of power and this area isn't under water from any of them
Will there be widespread destruction? Hell, yes, but no biblical flooding The coast will be trashed , how bad depends on the strength of the quake and the number and size of tsunamis generated. I'm fearing a lot of coastal communities may be washed away, possibly the Long Beach peninsula will be gone or else a chain of islands, but the waters will recede. According to one geologist I hears that since the Pacific plate goes under the North American plate there may be uplift on the coast. I don't know myself what to expect but history at least shows that these areas that were hit by tsunamis dried out fairly fast.

As for water shortages, I'm not too worried about it here in Vancouver, but I do wonder if down south water may get rationed as in turned on in a neighborhood or city for say, 3 hours a day, then shut off the rest of the time. I have no idea how that would/could affect fire services. Maybe they get a lot more tankers that they can fill up independently. Who knows?

Maybe they will start by penalizing "excessive" water use. Something they can do easily enough for anyone on a meter.
Politicians and other bureaucrats have repeatedly sided with their political cronies over the logic that benefits all. A prime example is the diversion of water from Northern California (via the California Aqueduct) to Southern California, apparently because it is more important for Los Angelenos to be able to wash their cars than it is for Fresno and Stockton farmers to grow their crops. But that is no longer enough water for Southern California. Lately the politicians have been trying to control how much of the Colorado River water they might also steal. This nonsense has been going on non-stop since at least the 1970s while California politicians, to include multiple governors, lie and claim to have EVERYONES interests at heart. Yeah, everyone who donates to them!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top