JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's simple. It's called responsibility. If my dog was off leash and attacked another animal it would be my fault and I would have no grounds of defense. My dog would be the aggressor and I would be at fault. It's completely different if my dog is on leash or on my property and is attacked by another. Then I have grounds (in my opinion) to use lethal force.
MANY MORON dog owners will get over the top aggressive when the dog they refuse to keep track of gets in "trouble". The reason I use a body cam when walking my dogs is the Wife got scared long ago when I got into it with a moron when his dog tried to make a meal out of my dog. Mine was on a leash, his came off his property to try to attack. I made it clear that if he could not control his dog I would make sure my dog was not harmed. This same thing played out so many times since then I have lost track. Same every time. Moron with dog running loose gets over the top mad when you threaten to stop their dog from attacking. I would HATE to kill a dog as it's the MORON owners fault BUT, I would kill the attacking dog before I allowed them to injure any of my pets. Fortunately I have yet to have to kill a dog as other methods of dissuading them worked. The owners are often a bigger problem than the damn dogs.

MANY MORON dog owners will get over the top aggressive when the dog they refuse to keep track of gets in "trouble". The reason I use a body cam when walking my dogs is the Wife got scared long ago when I got into it with a moron when his dog tried to make a meal out of my dog. Mine was on a leash, his came off his property to try to attack. I made it clear that if he could not control his dog I would make sure my dog was not harmed. This same thing played out so many times since then I have lost track. Same every time. Moron with dog running loose gets over the top mad when you threaten to stop their dog from attacking. I would HATE to kill a dog as it's the MORON owners fault BUT, I would kill the attacking dog before I allowed them to injure any of my pets. Fortunately I have yet to have to kill a dog as other methods of dissuading them worked. The owners are often a bigger problem than the damn dogs.
I also have a body cam. And aside from carrying my Glock I carry a 42" sjambok when walking the dog or go to dog parks and so on. I've had to whip quite a few dogs over the years, but better whipped than shot if it can be avoided. Their owners didn't like it but I know what can happen when trying to break up dog fights, and I don't like being bit. The sjambok is also good for the bums and addicts all around Portland now.

I also have a body cam. And aside from carrying my Glock I carry a 42" sjambok when walking the dog or go to dog parks and so on. I've had to whip quite a few dogs over the years, but better whipped than shot if it can be avoided. Their owners didn't like it but I know what can happen when trying to break up dog fights, and I don't like being bit. The sjambok is also good for the bums and addicts all around Portland now.
I use a walking stick. Have had to wack a dog a couple times but most of the time just the threat is enough to hold one off. Have used OC a few times also. While it's VERY hit and miss on 2 legged critters its always been real effective on the 4 legged. One moron neighbor had a problem dog for over a decade. That one finally died so he of course gets a Pit. I see it in my front yard so I step out to chase it off and it came after me. I OC'd it and it ran home. For years after that if I saw that dog in the street around my home all I had to do was open the door and let it see me. It would head home. So worked great for both of us :D

I use a walking stick. Have had to wack a dog a couple times but most of the time just the threat is enough to hold one off. Have used OC a few times also. While it's VERY hit and miss on 2 legged critters its always been real effective on the 4 legged. One moron neighbor had a problem dog for over a decade. That one finally died so he of course gets a Pit. I see it in my front yard so I step out to chase it off and it came after me. I OC'd it and it ran home. For years after that if I saw that dog in the street around my home all I had to do was open the door and let it see me. It would head home. So worked great for both of us:D
I'd never shoot a dog unless I had no other choice, and it's certainly not my first thought in a "what if" scenario. Pretty hard to hit too unless they're right up on you, so more likely to do more harm than necessary and then be held liable for anything after those shots are fired. Shooting into the air is pretty stupid too. What goes up must come down.

I know there's some ornery dogs out there, but often that's just how they are and not a reflection of what the owners do or not. At the end the of day even those dogs their owners probably love to a degree and I'd hate to kill anyone's animal, but if it's between them or me I always choose me and my own. "Yes I whipped yer dog, but would you prefer them to be shot and dead? Control yer dog."

I'd never shoot a dog unless I had no other choice, and it's certainly not my first thought in a "what if" scenario. Pretty hard to hit too unless they're right up on you, so more likely to do more harm than necessary and then be held liable for anything after those shots are fired. Shooting into the air is pretty stupid too. What goes up must come down.

I know there's some ornery dogs out there, but often that's just how they are and not a reflection of what the owners do or not. At the end the of day even those dogs their owners probably love to a degree and I'd hate to kill anyone's animal, but if it's between them or me I always choose me and my own. "Yes I whipped yer dog, but would you prefer them to be shot and dead? Control yer dog."
I drew on one, one time, good while back. Walked into a ball field, see woman 100 yards away with a HUGE Pit. She was picking up some stuff she had been using to train. Her dog sees us and comes at full run. She is calling her dog which is ignoring her. I picked mine up and pulled a gun. The only reason her dog lived is I could see it's tail going as it was running to us. Woman started shrieking when she saw the gun come out. He dog got to me and jumped up on me, it was damn near my face it was soo big. It was just wanting to play. I of course put the gun back but when the owner got there she was still shrieking. I pulled phone out, said no problem, I will call Police and they can explain those signs to you saying leash your dog. She said some things in some other language and piled her dog in her car and took off. :s0092: As she was trying to get her dog in her car, shrieking at me that her dog just wanted to play, I told her the problem with a dog that size was others did not know it just wanted to play. She was lucky I love dogs. That monster I would have just shot if it showed aggression. My dog weighed 10 pounds. That monster of hers must have been around 100. The size and the sad reality of how many Pits have just been ruined by irresponsible morons make them something even I fear when I first see one. A dog that size even a human has no chance if they are allowed to latch on. I walked our dogs at that field for years after and never saw her again. So I guess she decided to take her dog someplace better suited to what she was wanting to do.

1) "Ducks are food. Dogs aren't. At least not here in the good 'ol USA."
There are some 1st Nation Americans who might disagree.

2) I found that a Wrist Rocket with .44 cal lead pistol balls makes a lasting impression on obstreperous canines. Back in the Dream Time a neighborhood scroot took to using the rally wheels on our '67 GTA for a urinal, and I let him have it. That was his last visit to our driveway. Some time later I was walking to my ride to work in the early am, and saw him coming toward me. We saw each other at about the same time. The dog crossed the street.

"Intentionally" shooting into the dirt - and not the air probably would have lessened his charges to a mere, 'discharge of weapon in city limits' I'd bet.

That's what one of my crazy neighbors does.

I got ducks and dogs, they get along quite well. I also have a quiet 22 leaning in the corner of my shop and my daughter has a 410 scatter gun in an overwatching homework position.

Raccoons, feral cats coyotes, bears, cougars and dogs are all good to go targets. I'm not sure of the legality of catching an eagle in the act of depredation but its probably best to revert to the 3 S's of disposal.

Well...if it was a black dog maybe it considered the duck reparations........

Our canine friend was just trying to get himself a little dignity.

Some of you guys have no sense of social justice.

Last Edited:
I've almost been killed by dogs, which jumped over a fence and ran out in the street to attack me (unprovoked). My life changed drastically after this incident, to put it lightly.

Negligent dog owners are a problem, which is why so many laws exist in response to the problem. The article states that they've often been a problem in that neighborhood. But, laws are always after the fact and still don't stop an owner from causing harm or death because of negligence.

So to see people dismiss the pet owner's attempt at defense (yes, might have been a better way, but this is not my point), simply because the choice of pet is a duck, just shows how ignorant some willing choose to be about the situation and responsibility of owning an animal. Glad these people are not on the jury.

-Robert

Lol. There are some that may disagree with you. I on the other hand really enjoy how they taste. I've also spent a decent amount of time in Japan so who knows I may enjoy how dog tastes as well.....

View attachment 892139
I've never heard of eating dogs in Japan..... China, yes. I read they have dogs in cages in the wet market, you can pick the one you want.

This may be an example of someone who should NOT own a gun. With such poor judgement with this action who is to know what he is capable of.
Maybe move to the Middle East??

With bird shot, it would probably not even hurt someone - it might sting though.
Probably. Most bird hunters have been pelted by other hunters. It does sting. Ask Cheney's friend.

They had to put a BIG STEEL MESH LID on top of their kennel too. NO kidding.
I had a German Shorthair that could climb a fence. He got out often, killed some of our chickens and got a few of the neighbors chickens. We were both in trouble. I put an electric wire near the top.... that worked.

My wife has been attacked twice by the same dog while on her walks. She carries but didn't think of pulling on the dog. We took owners to court twice. The third time would have seen the Rottie that attacked my wife and Bichon destroyed. Too bad. I'm sure it was a nice dog to it's family, but let run free it was territorial and dog aggressive. The first time they swore the dog was just trying to play.... had my dog pinned down by her neck and squealing. Then they yelled at us outside the courtroom. It was funny when they asked us if we were from Calif, saying that here all dogs run free..... NOT!!! Fortunately they moved prior to any more incidents.

I don't know what a slamjok is, but I bought an extendable baton for my wife. Prob is she would never use it on a dog and it's too heavy to carry around. But since she had an event the affected the nerves to her legs, she takes a 6' walking stick. Then I bought her some OC, which she always takes on her walks. Now I have the baton in the car. Options are good.

I don't know what a slamjok is, but I bought an extendable baton for my wife. Prob is she would never use it on a dog and it's too heavy to carry around. But since she had an event the affected the nerves to her legs, she takes a 6' walking stick. Then I bought her some OC, which she always takes on her walks. Now I have the baton in the car. Options are good.
Kind of a heavy semi flexible whip thingy.

I have several, to get hit with one it would really hurt, maybe cut, but less likely to break bones than a stiff walking staff.

I'm not interested in non lethal. If life is at risk (mine or my dog) I'll choose lethal. I may spend a decent amount of time in jail. I've already acknowledged and accepted that possibility.

I'm not clear if this was a regular neighborhood setting or more rural. Where I live there are both depending on what direction you travel. If it happen on a sizable lot, who cares? A lot about nothing. But if you can see what your neighbors are cooking through your window, tell the guy not to do it again or give him a ticket.

Portland needs the Feds to make attempted murder cases to stick. Real cases of real people getting hurt and kicked unconscious with no arrest. The great duck caper is a waste of court space.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top