JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased a gorgeous S&W custom 629 44 magnum Stainless a while back. Has incredible design engraving on cylinder and handle, never been shot. I took it hunting this week and got caught in a huge rainstorm. Got back to camp soaking wet and forgot to take the gun out of the holster. Next morning the engraving already had a lot of rust in it, cylinder wouldn't even open without help. Going to have it all gone through and cleaned up, but was wondering if any of you had recommendations as to how to better protect the finish in the future. I love the idea of case hardening, just because it looks so cool, but don't even know if that is a possibility.

I purchased a gorgeous S&W custom 629 44 magnum Stainless a while back. Has incredible design engraving on cylinder and handle, never been shot. I took it hunting this week and got caught in a huge rainstorm. Got back to camp soaking wet and forgot to take the gun out of the holster. Next morning the engraving already had a lot of rust in it, cylinder wouldn't even open without help. Going to have it all gone through and cleaned up, but was wondering if any of you had recommendations as to how to better protect the finish in the future. I love the idea of case hardening, just because it looks so cool, but don't even know if that is a possibility.
stainless rusting that quickly?

Get it cleaned up and lubed, once its clean wipe on some Pledge furniture spray or maybe some RainX windshield wax and it should prevent any moisture trapped in the holster from rusting the metal, plus any rain will bead up and roll off.

Is your holster leather? How old is it?

Brand new holster, nylon. The only parts that rusted was the engraved cylinder and some of the rear site.
if its a padded nylon holster the material might soak up and retain moisture. Might try some Nickwax fabric waterproofing treatment inside and out, but if the holster is holding water id consider a different one.

In addition to previous recommendations, a holster made out of more modern materials like kydex, that doesn't retain water.

To get the rust out of the engraving, and sight use a No. 2 pencil and draw on it. Wipe clean using the eraser, a gun cleaner or alcohol, or some of the graphite will remain.

Use Hoppes No. 9 gun oil and wipe down gun with a saturated rag. Wipe off excess.

Stainless does not mean totally rust proof.

For a beautiful gun like that Id get an Alaskan Hip Holster from Diamond D. They even make an option with a flap for hunting in the rain.

1694143066800.png

Got back to camp soaking wet and forgot to take the gun out of the holster.
Ok, I'll give ya pass on this part because I did something similar with a blued S & W once with a bad - but not an entirely irreparable outcome...

However SS rusting up this quickly, and only the cylinder and it's engraving seems odd. I suspect the rear sight is blued so that I can understand.

I have a couple SS S & Ws and they have been out in the snow and rain at times - albeit wiped off soon after exposure, and thoroughly cleaned soon afterwards but nothing like what you describe.

Got a pic of the 'rusted' cylinder?

To get the rust out of the engraving, and sight use a No. 2 pencil and draw on it. Wipe clean using the eraser, a gun cleaner or alcohol, or some of the graphite will remain.

Use Hoppes No. 9 gun oil and wipe down gun with a saturated rag. Wipe off excess.

Stainless does not mean totally rust proof.
I'd follow this with a soft kids toothbrush and either Flitz or Mothers Aluminum polish to get the engraving spotless. Followed by a good application of CLP or similar product to keep that engraving happy…

"Has incredible design engraving on cylinder and handle, never been shot."

"Has" means it still hasn't been shot last I checked.
Has engraving... I took it as "had never been shot" when he found it.

I purchased a gorgeous S&W custom 629 44 magnum Stainless a while back. Has incredible design engraving on cylinder and handle, never been shot.
semantics, that pesky comma always getting in between things....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top