JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Given that ...

1. The Biden defense should def apply
  2. Not a safety issue if it was just mostly up
Col. Hatcher did a number of experiments with shooting guns upwards to see where the projectiles would fall and with what velocity. Most did not seem lethal, but could certainly hurt someone. OTOH, there are some people who are hurt/killed in the middle east with all the shooting into the sky that goes on there.

With bird shot, it would probably not even hurt someone - it might sting though.

1) The dog was being a dog wanting to to after the duck.
2) The dog's owner was at fault for letting his dog run wild (it would seem).
3) If the duck was a friend of mine, I would have either :
a) Kicked the schitt out of the dog
b) Shot the dog if I couldn't have gotten my hands on the dog soon enough

Yep, I have thought these things through and have done some of these things.
And it happens fast.

I don't own a duck. I do however own a dog who is practically my best friend (I love him more then the majority of humans). If my dog was being attacked I wouldn't be shooting into the air I'd be creating a canoe out of the attacking dogs face.
You pose interesting dilemmas.

If your neighbor Bob had a duck he loved more than people, and he shot your dog while it was attacking the duck, what next?

Perhaps a legitimate first response of the dog owner (you) would be to shoot Bob because he was stupid enough to shoot a good dog to save a stupid duck.

But that's a slippery slope. It invites DLM looting and mainstream media complaints about Americans who value dogs more than ducks.

Plus, the actual question arises: is a beloved dog worth more than a beloved duck?

I've seen dogs fetch ducks but I've never seen a duck fetch a dog, so it seems obvious that dogs are better.
On the other hand, this ain't the Nam so you can't eat your dog, so maybe ducks are better.

In the end, maybe what matters is the value of the dog or duck. If the dog or duck is priceless, then civil courts award millions to owners of pets killed by shooters, which seems to be where America is at these days, so maybe the best bet is to not shoot the pet, which is what the donkey linked in the OP did?

Seems to me - if a thing attacks your thing on your property, you should kill it.
If your thing gets killed while attacking someone else's thing on their property, you're out of luck?

Wish it was still that simple.

ETA - this was all intended to be satire. Some of it is funny imo.
DLM. That was funny.

You pose interesting dilemmas.

If your neighbor Bob had a duck he loved more than people, and he shot your dog while it was attacking the duck, what next?

Perhaps a legitimate first response of the dog owner (you) would be to shoot Bob because he was stupid enough to shoot a good dog to save a stupid duck.

But that's a slippery slope. It invites DLM looting and mainstream media complaints about Americans who value dogs more than ducks.

Plus, the actual question arises: is a beloved dog worth more than a beloved duck?

I've seen dogs fetch ducks but I've never seen a duck fetch a dog, so it seems obvious that dogs are better.
On the other hand, this ain't the Nam so you can't eat your dog, so maybe ducks are better.

In the end, maybe what matters is the value of the dog or duck. If the dog or duck is priceless, then civil courts award millions to owners of pets killed by shooters, which seems to be where America is at these days, so maybe the best bet is to not shoot the pet, which is what the donkey linked in the OP did?

Seems to me - if a thing attacks your thing on your property, you should kill it.
If your thing gets killed while attacking someone else's thing on their property, you're out of luck?

Wish it was still that simple.

ETA - this was all intended to be satire. Some of it is funny imo.
DLM. That was funny.
That's simple. It's called responsibility. If my dog was off leash and attacked another animal it would be my fault and I would have no grounds of defense. My dog would be the aggressor and I would be at fault. It's completely different if my dog is on leash or on my property and is attacked by another. Then I have grounds (in my opinion) to use lethal force.

So.... some guy is in his fenced yard, in the city, with a duck, while carrying a shotgun.

The article doesn't address some questions that spring to mind;
- was the duck wearing a blindfold and smoking a cigarette?
- what did the duck do... act daffy?
- could the dog have been trying to rescue the duck?
- did the guy first warn the dog, "Shhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet."
- was the dog's name, "Peta"?

That's simple. It's called responsibility. If my dog was off leash and attacked another animal it would be my fault and I would have no grounds of defense. My dog would be the aggressor and I would be at fault. It's completely different if my dog is on leash or on my property and is attacked by another. Then I have grounds (in my opinion) to use lethal force.
It's all good friend.
I never had any disagreement with your post that I quoted, and I agree with the next one too. I was just goofing around.

You did raise interesting dilemmas. I saw a funny angle and some food for thought, and I ran with it.

None of it has anything to do with a guy discharging a shotgun from a balcony in city limits.

I presume the guy got busted because he's not in Chicago or Oakland or D.C. or St. Louis or Detroit or Rochester or West Palm or Shreeport or Syracuse or Pompano or Modesto or Baltimore or Stockton or San Bernardino or Richmond or Vallejo or Inglewood or Tacoma or any other such city where they have the most gun control laws and the most crime and the most daily gunshots which nobody even cares about (thereby illustrating the futility of attempting to prevent crime by infringing in the rights of law-abiding citizens).

I presume he got busted because under the current body of law in his town, there was no justification for his actions.

Anyway. Back to thread topic. But thanks. It was kind of fun writing that thing above.

It's all good friend.
I never had any disagreement with your post that I quoted, and I agree with the next one too. I was just goofing around.

You did raise interesting dilemmas. I saw a funny angle and some food for thought, and I ran with it.

None of it has anything to do with a guy discharging a shotgun from a balcony in city limits.

I presume the guy got busted because he's not in Chicago or Oakland or D.C. or St. Louis or Detroit or Rochester or West Palm or Shreeport or Syracuse or Pompano or Modesto or Baltimore or Stockton or San Bernardino or Richmond or Vallejo or Inglewood or Tacoma or any other such city where they have the most gun control laws and the most crime and the most daily gunshots which nobody even cares about (thereby illustrating the futility of attempting to prevent crime by infringing in the rights of law-abiding citizens).

I presume he got busted because under the current body of law in his town, there was no justification for his actions.

Anyway. Back to thread topic. But thanks. It was kind of fun writing that thing above.
No offense taken.

I should add: I live rural. I have a few neighbors, but lot's of room and terrain to shoot in various directions safely, especially with birdshot. No laws banning discharge of firearms here.

So my perspective is naturally different than urban residents.

I don't know of any towns or cities in America that don't have an ordinance prohibiting discharge of firearms in city limits. Maybe there are some, but i don't know of them.

If you fire in town without justification, I suspect you'll get cited or arrested in every city that still bothers to investigate gunshots, which is quite a few cities, but it's also worth noting that the number of cities who don't have the time or resources to investigate every report of a gunshot, is growing.

'Walking' your prey animal around a bunch of carnivorous canines. What an idiot. He needs to walk his duck in the the backyard. Who the hell walks a duck anyways ? This guy was asking for trouble. Don't shoot the dog because this idiot wants to walk a water fowl.

Actually, in many areas, it is legal to shoot a dog to defend your pets or livestock.

THIS is true!

Think about a dog jumping a fence or running loose while charging and attacking a child or an elderly person who can't KICK or defend themselves or run fast enough.

I love ALMOST all dogs but I DETEST irresponsible dog owners!

I detest charging, loose and vicious dogs (Feral and so called DOMESTICATED dogs - NOT!) that do NOT stay on their own land while dumb bunny owners don't give a rat's butt WHO they attack or constantly harass innocent people on private/public land too.

If the dog was trying to KILL the duck while attacking it - the homeowner-duck owner could have shot the dog and in MANY states it would be LEGAL. He should have placed a shot into the dog or gotten some other tool do defend his duck or any other pet or family member including himself.

What TYPE of dog JUMPED THE FENCE, WENT ONTO PRIVATE PROPERTY and attacked the duck?

I would have BEAT off the dog or stabbed it with a pitchfork or knife unless it was a specific type or a couple of them OUT THERE that GRAB onto a person or another creature and NO matter how HARD you try to free yourself from those JAWS and TEETH - well - those NASTY DOGS don't just BACK OFF of their victims including their own owners. Including dumb owners who RESCUE THEM only to become a VICTIM of their rescued creatures from H!

Cate - A lady who loves many dogs but NOT all of them including dog owners who live in la la land when it comes to their nasty, loose and vicious dogs. Once a dog starts to charge or run and KILL animals including deer - look out. When they start on other pets - well - never mind. I can feel the heat already. LOL

Last Edited:
Yes, I understand this, living in a semi-rural area outside of city limits, and knowing of a few instances of it happening in the area over the years however the difference being I KNOW the laws for my area - such as those regarding firearm discharge.

Judging by the appearance of the area and the fact he was arrested (and in CA) I'll take a guess and say it wasn't legal in his area.
You can defend yourself and your pet in most cities and counties including in VERY RURAL areas IF a vicious ANIMAL including a dog or a mountain lion or FILL IN THE BLANKS with a GUN.

There may be an investigation but in MOST CASES the same idiot dog owner with the same, mean, loose, charging, etc. SO CALLED DOMESTICATED (LOL) dog IS ON RECORD for being a pain, for biting people INCLUDING kids and coming onto PRIVATE property attacking an old man with his nice dog, etc.

IT has happened here a LOT and not just back in farm/lake country.

IN town and out on ranches too.

Cate

This article leaves out a lot of information in favor sensationist reactions from the neighbors. Where was the duck ? Where was the dog ? Was he offleash ? I agree you should be able to protect your animals. Like life, it all comes down to the details.

Edit : I had just read the article not watched the video and did not realize the dog had jumped over the mans fence into his private property. While I would personally never shoot a dog over a duck, it does seem he was well within his rights to defend his animals. I think a less lethal option could be used to better effect, and to not scare the neighbors, but I understand where the guy is coming from. The duck could be family as strange as that sounds.

Last Edited:
The man should not have fired INTO THE AIR ala Biden's STUPID ADVICE but he had every right to defend his duck in my opinion. Same thing as if another LOOSE and vicious dog charged HIS dog, himself, any other pet, a kid or an elderly person.

He should have had a knife on him and stabbed the attacking DOG if he could have done this safely in my opinion.

People do have ducks for pets.

People do raise ducks for food too.

I knew, dead now, people who raised ducks for food during the depression and during WW2 too. Some of those people had ducks for pets too.

Cate

A former, retired Chief Deputy (ONE of my best friends, he and his wife. They went to school with my late husband.) right below the Sheriff in my former county/state had a DOG that he was trying to raise as a pet. It was given to him - some cross breed.

The dog started to attack their other pets, including dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, etc., and he and his wife started to worry about their KIDS. They had 2 older children and 2 younger ones.

They lived right out of town on a fair sized property but not out in the BOONIES as my late husband and I did.

My late husband and I told them that they better watch the dog and they finally could not TRUST the dog. So they built a BIG kennel for it.

My husband said that IF he had a dog that he could NOT trust and if IT started to attack and kill specific animals (Instinct.) including their OTHER domesticated pets - that would be one DEAD DOG. The cross breed lived in a HUGE kennel by the barn and I NEVER TRUSTED IT. Ever. I told them that if I came over to their house to swim in their pool or just for a visit - that they had to MEET ME and be by me.

They had to put a BIG STEEL MESH LID on top of their kennel too. NO kidding.

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top