JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellow community members. I've researched a bit and could only find answers from 5-10 years ago online. I am curious as to how many rounds I am legally allowed to carry in my magazine while elk hunting? Based on weight savings alone, I only plan to carry 5 rounds in my magazine however I would like to know. I am elk hunting this upcoming week with my .308 AR-10. Thank you!

Hey fellow community members. I've researched a bit and could only find answers from 5-10 years ago online. I am curious as to how many rounds I am legally allowed to carry in my magazine while elk hunting? Based on weight savings alone, I only plan to carry 5 rounds in my magazine however I would like to know. I am elk hunting this upcoming week with my .308 AR-10. Thank you!
Have you read the hunting regulations?

I have. I did not see anything regarding magazine capacity. Did I overlook that information?
In Oregon, not sure on Washington, there is a specific prohibition on ammo in a semi auto (five round magazine). I'm not sure on Washington. I would check the regulations over some random person in the interwebs.

The regulations tell you what you can't do, so if it's not in there, then there isn't a rule.

In Oregon, not sure on Washington, there is a specific prohibition on ammo in a semi auto (five round magazine). I'm not sure on Washington. I would check the regulations over some random person in the interwebs.

The regulations tell you what you can't do, so if it's not in there, then there isn't a rule.
Gotcha. I figured if I didn't see it in the hunting regulations then I would be safe. Just wanted to make sure. Last year elk hunting, I was stopped by a game warden and he didn't ask about my magazine capacity, only what caliber I was using. I had a 20 round mag with only 5 bullets in it at the time, so I'm assuming it was fine.

Gotcha. I figured if I didn't see it in the hunting regulations then I would be safe. Just wanted to make sure. Last year elk hunting, I was stopped by a game warden and he didn't ask about my magazine capacity, only what caliber I was using. I had a 20 round mag with only 5 bullets in it at the time, so I'm assuming it was fine.
If there is a prohibition on magazine size, then you'll need to add a plug that prevents you from loading beyond the limit, only loading the maximum is not sufficient if there is more space to load more.

Last Edited:
My favorite coyote/kick around rifle is my 243. If I used it to hunt deer and tagged out, I couldn't use it for coyotes for the remainder of deer and elk seasons. So, the state has been getting me for a cougar tag that I have no intention of filling.
That's interesting. Good way of doing it though! So as long as you have that big game tag, you're good to go with that caliber then it sounds like: )

There is also a rule that you may not carry a rifle chambered in a cartridge .24 or greater in caliber during a big game season without a valid big game tag.
That is interesting. I guess I've always had tags in season. I also always camp with a rifle. I wonder if taking my Garand on a camping trip in WA without tags would be a violation and if that would conflict with the 2A Right to "Keep and bear arms" ?

That is interesting. I guess I've always had tags in season. I also always camp with a rifle. I wonder if taking my Garand on a camping trip in WA without tags would be a violation and if that would conflict with the 2A Right to "Keep and bear arms" ?
"Carry" as in carry in the field while hunting. The regs actually state "hunt with" rather than general carry.

I believe that question was already answered in Oregon. ODFW has no authority (nor does the OSP) to restrict what caliber/type of PDW one carries while out in the field at any given time, regardless of any hunting season.

Just because one is out in nature while armed, does not always mean they're hunting.

I believe that question was already answered in Oregon. ODFW has no authority (nor does the OSP) to restrict what caliber/type of PDW one carries while out in the field at any given time, regardless of any hunting season.

Just because one is out in nature while armed, does not always mean they're hunting.
Be careful if you're in areas such as Mount Hood that are also closed to Target shooting. You may have a difficult time defending your protection vs you actively hunting or target shooting. As indicated in a previous post, a bear or cougar tag could remove any question to your business.

Be careful if you're in areas such as Mount Hood that are also closed to Target shooting. You may have a difficult time defending your protection vs you actively hunting or target shooting. As indicated in a previous post, a bear or cougar tag could remove any question to your business.
You just have to remember to assert your right that the burden of proof is upon "them" that you are doing "something", not you having to prove that you're not doing something.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top