JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hypothetically, let's say this new "assault weapon" ban passes in OR. If someone were to not register their concealed carry pistol that holds more than 10 rounds, and then used it in what would otherwise be considered legal self defense, does the legal status of the weapon have any impact on the act of self defense?

Crossbow
Spear
Kukri

...if you live in Salem, then insult the perp's choice in footwear. Works every time :rolleyes:

I don't know that it would affect your right to self defense, but you'd be guilty of a Class B felony once they found out you had the gun past the turn-in/sell-off date. And no doubt, in Oregon, they'd prosecute you for that just to make a point.

Other option is to tie a drug-crazed illegal immigrant up on your front porch to confront any would be intruders. Should the govt thugs show up, they'd take one look at the illegal, realize he's one of their voters, and bypass your home.

Last Edited:
The problem is penalties for weapons violations are so severe they frequently equal any potential man slaughter type offense. That is why in 1992 (?) I reluctantly registered my 2 AR's in California when the ban came in. I didn't want to keep them hidden and unused. A legal shotgun is a better "defense" weapon in any event. The definition of defense is tough to meet at 100 yards where the real advantages of an AR begin to become apparent.

Here's two possibilities ;
1. You could try to convince them you killed the perp with his accomplice's gun...
...then his accomplice ran away.
2. His accomplice accidently shot him, then she* ran away.

* What the heck...you might as well make it an "inclusive" story.;)

Last Edited:
If they make you a felon anyway, then when you get out, may as well obtain another illegal firearm anyway. Felony convictions don't stop gang bangers, wanton murderers, cartel members, or organized crime thugs from obtaining a gun. May be more expensive, with more limited options, but at some point if they make you an outlaw, you may as well adopt the moniker and begin ignoring whichever laws errode your natural rights. I know thats a radical idea among law abiding gun owners but at some point the far left is going to force us to either become unlawful gun owners, or unarmed subjects.

it is obvious what would happen in Portland. You would be changed with several felonies related to firearm offenses though would probably be cleared of self defense. But dont think for one moment they will let that go.

I once heard a story of someone who shot someone who was raping his wife at knife point in his house and had already cut her. He came up behind him in the act, turned him around and shot him in the chest. The guy fell to his knees and he fired a second round into his neck which the coroner determined was the killing shot.

While cooperating with the police immediately after the incident they started to question him on the second shot. They started to question him if he executed the guy raping his wife on purpose because of the second shot. They were immediately trying to arrest him for murdering the guy who was raping and planning to kill his wife.

Always assume that the police will try and charge you if you do anything in self defense with a firearm.

Frankly, I think the only way this question will ever be answered is for it to happen. Until then, it's all simply anybody's guess. And even then, the whole process will have to go through the Courts and that can truly take years if not decades.

I thought I remembered something about you losing the right to self-defense when in the act of committing a felony. Am I wrong there, and if not, wouldn't that apply here? Or was it only if you were committing a violent felony? I could be way off.

it is obvious what would happen in Portland. You would be changed with several felonies related to firearm offenses though would probably be cleared of self defense. But dont think for one moment they will let that go.

I once heard a story of someone who shot someone who was raping his wife at knife point in his house and had already cut her. He came up behind him in the act, turned him around and shot him in the chest. The guy fell to his knees and he fired a second round into his neck which the coroner determined was the killing shot.

While cooperating with the police immediately after the incident they started to question him on the second shot. They started to question him if he executed the guy raping his wife on purpose because of the second shot. They were immediately trying to arrest him for murdering the guy who was raping and planning to kill his wife.

Always assume that the police will try and charge you if you do anything in self defense with a firearm.
Shoot once. Clear the room. Get your wife to safety at her moms house. Return. Clear the rest of the house. Check the rapist for signs of life then call your lawyer and then the cops.

Making a snack or coffee between steps is optional.

3D7B60C8-C3BC-4C40-A7E1-7F0F65281F65.jpeg
skip these steps and go start the back hoe!! :rolleyes:
Mine will dig 17 feet deep.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class