JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

To paint or not to paint

• Yup

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
I am considering painting this weapon. I watched the Lauer video and it looks pretty easy.

Has anyone used this kit? http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1102

If I am doing the whole rifle should I dismount the plastic parts and paint them separately?

f2e610b4e5b0576cdd93e5206df27091_zps9dbda6b4.jpg

I've tried the Dura Coat rattle can stuff on a metal pistol and it worked pretty good. I'm not sure how good the stuff will stick to plastic, ya might want to rough it up some first. I f you want the whole thing to blend together ya might leave it assembled. The nice thing about doing it with Rustoleum or the likes is it will come off a heck of a lot easier if you don't like it. Give it a go . I'd like to see how it turns out.

IMHO- If you're just "bored" with that rifle being black, don't paint it with something that's going to damage the existing finish if/when you try to remove it... seriously.

I have had this one for a long time. It has some damage to the finish and is far from pristine. As evidenced by the slide fire stock and the super dynamic 3-gun trigger, this is a play thing. So as far as being bored with it being black, yea. It's not like I'm ruining an heirloom.

I've tried the Dura Coat rattle can stuff on a metal pistol and it worked pretty good. I'm not sure how good the stuff will stick to plastic, ya might want to rough it up some first. I f you want the whole thing to blend together ya might leave it assembled. The nice thing about doing it with Rustoleum or the likes is it will come off a heck of a lot easier if you don't like it. Give it a go . I'd like to see how it turns out.

The how-to video shows that first you spray it with a degreaser, then rough it with Scotch Brite. This does stick to plastic and is most definitely permanent.

I used acetone for the degreaser and it worked fine. Use light coats so you dont get runs. If it runs you have to let the stuff dry and sand it down flat again.

I am considering painting this weapon. I watched the Lauer video and it looks pretty easy.

Any update on this project? I'm thinking of trying Duracoat on a gun or two and I'm just looking around for threads discussing it when I found this one. Did you ever purchase the kit? Which one? Have you painted the rifle yet?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top