JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn, I just bought a new bottle of Select RS last week. I guess I have a while before my penance will be satisfied.
Rifle Abuse... :eek: :D

Kidding here....
Its your rifle...use what you like.

I avoid all black powder substitutes from my past bad experiences with them...or seeing the effect of using them on other people's firearms,

And as I noted earlier....many folks use black powder substitutes and swear by them...
I just swear at 'em....:D
Andy

Damn, I just bought a new bottle of Select RS last week. I guess I have a while before my penance will be satisfied.
Man, I don't know about everybody else, but all I can ever find is Pyrodex. The real McCoy of it is like trying to find percussion caps.

Truthfully, I haven't had trouble with Pyrodex. However, I don't do a ton of black powder shooting and my gun always gets cleaned immediately after a range trip. Never had an issue with failure to ignite, even the one time I had a Hart Mountain mule deer tag and carried the same charge a few days in a row (they frown on target practice or unnecessary shooting at the antelope refuge).

Rifle Abuse... :eek: :D

Kidding here....
Its your rifle...use what you like.

I avoid all black powder substitutes from my past bad experiences with them...or seeing the effect of using them on other people's firearms,

And as I noted earlier....many folks use black powder substitutes and swear by them...
I just swear at 'em....:D
Andy
Forgive me BPFather, for I have sinned.

I'm just learning about this BP stuff. I got it to experiment with a BP adapter for my Henry single shot. I have taken your past advice to clean and lube immediately to heart.

I planned on getting some Goex, but could never find any. Seems like it's getting back out there now. Should I flush the Pyrodex?

Forgive me BPFather, for I have sinned.

I'm just learning about this BP stuff. I got it to experiment with a BP adapter for my Henry single shot. I have taken your past advice to clean and lube immediately to heart.

I planned on getting some Goex, but could never find any. Seems like it's getting back out there now. Should I flush the Pyrodex?
Ha.... :D

As much as I trash talk Pyrodex....If that is all you have...use it.
Just be sure to clean ASAP after shooting.
If you lived closer...I'd gift you some GOEX.
Andy

Man, I don't know about everybody else, but all I can ever find is Pyrodex. The real McCoy of it is like trying to find percussion caps.
Same here. The Pyrodex I picked up was the first I'd seen at a LGS in a long time.

Truthfully, I haven't had trouble with Pyrodex. However, I don't do a ton of black powder shooting and my gun always gets cleaned immediately after a range trip. Never had an issue with failure to ignite, even the one time I had a Hart Mountain mule deer tag and carried the same charge a few days in a row (they frown on target practice or unnecessary shooting at the antelope refuge).
Good to know. I'm mostly just messing around with a shotgun and BP adapter.

I've entertained the idea of getting a flintlock rifle. If so, it seems GOEX would be the only way to go in that.

I've entertained the idea of getting a flintlock rifle. If so, it seems GOEX would be the only way to go in that.
Yes...or any other real / actual black powder....like SWISS...etc...

I've never even held a flintlock rifle. Having one would alleviate the scarce percussion caps issue.
I can help you with that... :D

Flints are getting difficult to find at times...and getting up there in price.
However...with a flint you can get repeated uses / firing .
I have had some flints last for 30 -40 shots...others not near as long.

I would suggest using actual knapped flints and stay away from the cut / saw cut flints.
English or French knapped flints work well.
Andy

Red dot look sick on that old looking gun.
@chadkboggs

Folks use the phrase "looks sick" to mean either awful or awesome.... I'm curious which you meant. I (both) appreciate the aesthetic choice to keep older-style guns free from modern optics and also don't particularly mind the looks of this. I have backup peep sights on it too. I had hoped for a smaller "reflex" style red dot, but put this on instead. One of my goals with this gun was to have a carbine that my girlfriend (largely a non-shooter) could be handy with if she ever needed to use a rifle. This red dot makes it so she could pretty much just point and shoot at anything inside 100 yards without having to worry about iron sights.

@chadkboggs

Folks use the phrase "looks sick" to mean either awful or awesome.... I'm curious which you meant. I (both) appreciate the aesthetic choice to keep older-style guns free from modern optics and also don't particularly mind the looks of this. I have backup peep sights on it too. I had hoped for a smaller "reflex" style red dot, but put this on instead. One of my goals with this gun was to have a carbine that my girlfriend (largely a non-shooter) could be handy with if she ever needed to use a rifle. This red dot makes it so she could pretty much just point and shoot at anything inside 100 yards without having to worry about iron sights.
Awesome! I mean awesome, the gun is awesome. Did I say awesome….

I'll be taking the ol M77 in 338 Federal. 160 grain Barnes TTSX clocking 3015fps at the muzzle. Probably take the same rifle for elk with the 185 TTSX going 2770fps. Can't wait to use this rifle this year!

If I am stuck to a single tag, in WA, I will use my Parker Bow. If I can purchase a multi-weapon tag (not drawn, so we'll see if any are left) my choices will be my .243, .30-30, or .45 Kentucky depending on just where and when I go.

I have two. The first is my Harrington and Richardson Ultra Bolt Action. It has an FN Supreme action and is Manliccher stock. It is gorgeous and sooo accurate. The second in my newly acquired Sako Manliccher in 7mm Magnum. I haven't got it out to the woods yet but it performed admirably at the range. MOA rifle, gotta love it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top