JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never had an avatar until just a month or so ago, could never find one that I thought appropriate I guess.

My avatar is NOT me, it's my Father and Mother. In '06 trying to think of a Christmas present, for the people that already have everything they need/want, I came up with the idea of a "Gift Certificate". The certificate we made up on the computer was all fancy looking and was for transportation to/from dinner at an expensive restaurant in the Salt Lake Valley. My brother lives there so he was the one to deliver the coupon and over see the actual diner.

Mom and Dad had fallen in love with cruising, on BIG ships, and sometimes went twice a year. They really loved the fancy dress-up thing. They were both depression era kids and were way frugal, so the trips were their retirement joy. As Dad was in the upper 80s they hadn't been on a cruise for close to ten years. I figured this would give 'em a chance to dress up again.

They didn't know that "Transportation" was going to be a stretch limo! In the photo, I'm guessing as dad didn't have to drive he may of splurged that night and had two scotches rather than the usual one, and was feeling good, so he was taking advantage of the blacked out windows in the limo. Not a mean bone in that mans body. He was loved by all who met him, was a master of repairs, building, fabrication and engineering. Almost for got, Master Joker! He would wear two Halloween masks, for the effect when he took the first one off.

In 2010 Dad passed away late on Christmas Eve at 90 and 6 months of age. He and Mom, through hard work, built the American dream for the two of them. Mom's still with us and and doing pretty good for 90, still living in the house that Dad built a large portion of with his own hands.

Just for anyone that hasn't seen this thread and thinks I'm the O.F. (old fart) in my avatar....There's resemblance but still not quite there, yet.

My avatar is me shooting my Krico 650S in .308Win, wearing my Portland Bolt hat [Thanks again, Mike - production manager at Portland Bolt Inc.].

A few years back I thought it would be pretty neat to have something that was a Portland thang. Since Portland Iron & Steel was long gone, Portland Bolt fulfilled my wish to have a local manufacturing company represented over here in yUK.

I'm also a supported of the Cape Mears lighthouse preservation group - albeit in a small way, and my next avatar might well be me wearing THAT hat - who knows?

tac

A few years back I thought it would be pretty neat to have something that was a Portland thang. Since Portland Iron & Steel was long gone, Portland Bolt fulfilled my wish to have a local manufacturing company represented over here in yUK.

:s0126:

I'm going to see if I can get a "Portland Screw" hat!
Home There's a bond measure on the ballot in Portland and I'm pretty sure, I'm gonna get "Portland Screwed" AGAIN!

Mine is the only shooting pic of me that I had at the time.
Shooting my old 30-06 off of a cobbled together rest in our yard.
Musta been about 2003.

:s0126:

I'm going to see if I can get a "Portland Screw" hat!
Home There's a bond measure on the ballot in Portland and I'm pretty sure, I'm gonna get "Portland Screwed" AGAIN!

Sir, I can't do anything about your opinion of Portland, nor adjust your obviously scathing remark about it. All I know is that mrs tac and I have been coming over to Portland for many years, and feel we know it know it well, warts and all, and more to the point, have made our own minds up about it.

We would rather have a rainy day in Portland than a hundred days of sunshine in London.

Please leave us alone with our illusion of a great city.

tac

Sir, I can't do anything about your opinion of Portland, nor adjust your obviously scathing remark about it. All I know is that mrs tac and I have been coming over to Portland for many years, and feel we know it know it well, warts and all, and more to the point, have made our own minds up about it.

We would rather have a rainy day in Portland than a hundred days of sunshine in London.

Please leave us alone with our illusion of a great city.

tac

Mike's a good guy, I just think he, like many of us that live and work in and around Portland every day get to experience parts of the city that aren't as wonderful, including the foolish decisions made by an increasingly bad mayor's office and city council - decisions that impact us in a negative way. Kind of hard not to be tainted about it after decades of decline in the way things are done there.

That said, Portland is still a beautiful city in many ways and there are still a lot of good people around, so really, it's not all bad.

Mike's a good guy, I just think he, like many of us that live and work in and around Portland every day get to experience parts of the city that aren't as wonderful, including the foolish decisions made by an increasingly bad mayor's office and city council - decisions that impact us in a negative way. Kind of hard not to be tainted about it after decades of decline in the way things are done there.

That said, Portland is still a beautiful city in many ways and there are still a lot of good people around, so really, it's not all bad.

You said "tainted".... that's a loaded term in PDXistan!! ;)

My avatar is a selfie (of myself..LOL) and it shows that I'm not a racist because I (really do) hate everyone equally, although some more equally than others. (Animal "Farmism", get it?) :D

Last Edited:
You said "tainted".... that's a loaded term in PDXistan!! ;)

My avatar is a selfie (of myself..LOL) and it shows that I'm not a racist because I (really do) hate everyone equally, although some more equally than others. (Animal "Farmism", get it?) :D

Would it still be "a selfie" if it was a picture of someone else?

Ray

Whenever I read or hear of a "selfie" , I can't help but picture the Herself the Elf doll from the 80's.:eek:
Stomper the Elf ... Just doesn't work for me... :D
( And yes I do know that I am sick and wrong...:p:D )
Andy

I use a different avatar for any forum I frequent. Some of the reasons for this one ...
- symbolically suitable for a firearms forum: i.e., government prohibition on human rights and self-expression
- an indirect reminder of my last job before retirement
- hated reading Don Quixote in school, but loved the author's [Cervantes] life motto: 'Forewarned, forearmed.'

Would it still be "a selfie" if it was a picture of someone else?

Ray

What if I said I was using a selfie of Jennifer Lopez as my avatar?

;)

Whenever I read or hear of a "selfie" , I can't help but picture the Herself the Elf doll from the 80's.:eek:
Stomper the Elf ... Just doesn't work for me... :D
( And yes I do know that I am sick and wrong...:p:D )
Andy

Look, I shaved my legs and wore a dress ONE TIME.... on a dare, OK? o_O

:D

I use a different avatar for any forum I frequent. Some of the reasons for this one ...
- symbolically suitable for a firearms forum: i.e., government prohibition on human rights and self-expression
- an indirect reminder of my last job before retirement
- hated reading Don Quixote in school, but loved the author's [Cervantes] life motto: 'Forewarned, forearmed.'

I'd bet Popeye liked that motto, too!

IMG_4144.JPG

Look, I shaved my legs and wore a dress ONE TIME.... on a dare, OK? o_O
Dude, if you EVER inflict a visual like that on us again, I will hunt you down and Fartjar your a** until you can *never* get the smell of my toxic creations out of your sinuses.

:p

I'm just gonna note for the newbs who haven't heard that story that *one* Fartjar is enough to make an entire office building uninhabitable for three days, and still unpleasant a week later...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top