JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, I wonder about the volume of ash created from a human cremation. It seems to me that most of the urns I've seen would be unable to hold the entire load. Like the larger bone fragments that don't fully combust. So do the cremationists cheat a little, and only fill as much as the urn will take and dispose of the overflow otherwise?
You know... cremated "ashes" are really just the skeletal remains that are then crushed into coarse powder, right? Soft tissue is all but nearly consumed. Even teeth... very little if anything remains. Volume wise.. you're talking about 3-3.5L for an adult. Considering a pringles can is about 24cu/in's... you would need about 8 of em. (180-210cu.in)

How much tissue a person is or isn't packin on their skeleton isn't all that significant of a difference in the end.

Edit: A little google-fu. I looks like the industry standard for an urn in the U.S. is 200cu/in.

Last Edited:
When we spread my grandmother's ashes, my sister struggled to open the bag, ripped it open like a bag of chips and the resulting poof of Grandma went all over those in attendance instead of into the water. We got Chinese afterward.

I am to be cremated and the wife and son can do whatever they want with my ashes. I told them I'll be dead and won't know what they did with them so I don't care.
Sounds like my bow hunting buddy. He's fifteen years older than me with a bad ticker and often contemplating his own demise. There is a really nice spot at the top of the mountain where, every time we pass by, he tells me his oldest son is going to spread his ashes there. And, I always chide him by telling him I've already talked to his son and told him I will take care of everything. Instead of the top of the mountain, I tell him I'm spreading his ashes at the codeword for how we refer to our latrine over at our Imnaha Unit campsite. Unruffled, he looks at me and says - "I suppose at that point, I won't really care." :D

No such inflated-ego hubris here. Mrs. Teflon and I have agreed to sprinkle the "winner's" ashes into Falls Creek (Gifford Pinchot Forest) to commemorate skinny dipping in a pool at the falls on our 3rd or 4th date. I guess that's for whomever goes first. Unless we leave specific instructions for the "kids" to play along, the runner up will reside under a fern by a river somewhere in the woods. Back where we enjoy going.
Our friend buried her husband's ashes along the trail to Falls Creek Falls. A beautiful place to spend eternity.

I have been involved in scattering ashes at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Pack them in the parachute of a rececar and dump them out at a couple hundred miles per hour. This will suit me just fine

You know... cremated "ashes" are really just the skeletal remains that are then crushed into coarse powder, right? Soft tissue is all but nearly consumed. Even teeth... very little if anything remains. Volume wise.. you're talking about 3-3.5L for an adult. Considering a pringles can is about 24cu/in's... you would need about 8 of em. (180-210cu.in)

How much tissue a person is or isn't packin on their skeleton isn't all that significant of a difference in the end.

Edit: A little google-fu. I looks like the industry standard for an urn in the U.S. is 200cu/in.
Well, now I know. For all the good it will do me when my time comes. Another Google thing, 200 cu. in. = 3.277 L for an average adult. So those urns I've seen over the years must've been about right but I wouldn't have guessed. I'd have thought skeletal remains would take up more space, even in powder form. The deceased are placed in a box made of thick cardboard or wood before cremation but I guess this must not add all that much to the volume.

Well, now I know. For all the good it will do me when my time comes. Another Google thing, 200 cu. in. = 3.277 L for an average adult. So those urns I've seen over the years must've been about right but I wouldn't have guessed. I'd have thought skeletal remains would take up more space, even in powder form. The deceased are placed in a box made of thick cardboard or wood before cremation but I guess this must not add all that much to the volume.
Well... the intense furnace temps pretty much turn anything "burnable" into a gas... very fine ash/smoke particles that are in turn ignited in a secondary burn to purify the emissions. Obviously... some of you and whatever are lost in the process as well. Either within the furnace, stuck in the ventilation system/filters or through the transfer and grinding process. It doesn't amount to much though.

Well... the intense furnace temps pretty much turn anything "burnable" into a gas... very fine ash/smoke particles that are in turn ignited in a secondary burn to purify the emissions. Obviously... some of you and whatever are lost in the process as well. Either within the furnace, stuck in the ventilation system/filters or through the transfer and grinding process. It doesn't amount to much though.
Stuff kind of reminds me of ground up seashells. Has a very course feel to it. Guessing because its only what will not burn. Been told a good part of it is your teeth. While back when a Niece of ours was cremated Wife was moving the ashes to an urn and found a key in there that had been run through the grinder so was badly mangled. Could still read the DO NOT DUPLICATE on it though. She took it to the place and asked them what the hell it was. They told her is was a key to the building the furnace was in that had been "lost". Did leave us kind of wondering how the hell it got into the grinder with what was left. :confused:

Stuff kind of reminds me of ground up seashells. Has a very course feel to it. Guessing because its only what will not burn. Been told a good part of it is your teeth. While back when a Niece of ours was cremated Wife was moving the ashes to an urn and found a key in there that had been run through the grinder so was badly mangled. Could still read the DO NOT DUPLICATE on it though. She took it to the place and asked them what the hell it was. They told her is was a key to the building the furnace was in that had been "lost". Did leave us kind of wondering how the hell it got into the grinder with what was left. :confused:
Yikes!

Teeth actually burn up, but small fragments might remain. Probably not identifiable as teeth though.

In Japan, the bones are not traditionally ground up so you get a real up close and personal view of what remains after a cremation. It's up to the family to move the bones from the cremation slab to an urn... starting with the feet and working your way upward so your loved one remains upright in the urn. Larger bones will be broken down to fit though. It's a fragile process as most of the bones at that point readily crumble into ash.

My backup plan is cremation, but I have to admit... having your bones processed through a grinder seems a bit barbaric. Who is to say if the majority of your face won't be planted in your rear end for all eternity????:s0140:

Last Edited:
I have not heard anything about it for a while but some company was trying that. Body went into a chamber, chemicals put in. chamber agitated a few times, everything was dissolved. They did something to neutralize the chemicals and down the drain it all went.
The use of Lime, soda or sodium bicarbonate is used to neutralize Hydrofluoric acid (HF) which is very hazardous. Probably not something you would want to have your average minimum wage employees handling....so, there is that.

On the other hand, there are plenty of deep and abandoned mines of various kinds around the country/world that could be used to house millions of bodies. Delivery service shows up, logs in the appropriate paperwork, body gets deposited, information of the deceased gets put on a brass plaque hung on an outside wall (for an additional fee of course) so grieving relatives have someplace to go visit on Memorial Day until all of the memories of crazy Uncle Ernie have faded. Otherwise, what else can one do with these abandoned mines that are thousands of feet deep?

And, on another hand....all of those open pit mining sites could have a new found purpose? I've not heard of how these things are ever going to be backfilled.

If you are the "artsy" type, then check out the Sedlec Ossuary Church as an example.....this could be a thing right here in your very own community:
https://www.travelyesplease.com/travel-blog-bone-church-sedlec-ossuary/
https://sedlecossuary.com/

Follow me for more franchising ideas.

The use of Lime, soda or sodium bicarbonate is used to neutralize Hydrofluoric acid (HF) which is very hazardous. Probably not something you would want to have your average minimum wage employees handling....so, there is that.

On the other hand, there are plenty of deep and abandoned mines of various kinds around the country/world that could be used to house millions of bodies. Delivery service shows up, logs in the appropriate paperwork, body gets deposited, information of the deceased gets put on a brass plaque hung on an outside wall (for an additional fee of course) so grieving relatives have someplace to go visit on Memorial Day until all of the memories of crazy Uncle Ernie have faded. Otherwise, what else can one do with these abandoned mines that are thousands of feet deep?

And, on another hand....all of those open pit mining sites could have a new found purpose? I've not heard of how these things are ever going to be backfilled.

If you are the "artsy" type, then check out the Sedlec Ossuary Church as an example.....this could be a thing right here in your very own community:
https://www.travelyesplease.com/travel-blog-bone-church-sedlec-ossuary/
https://sedlecossuary.com/

Follow me for more franchising ideas.

hands.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany