JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
nearing my 75th birthday i am thinking about what to do with my remains after i die. i don't like the idea of an expensive funeral, or creamation. so what are my other options? any ideas?

200.gif
1712339939804.png

Here's a link that has some options for Final Disposition...
  • Final disposition refers to the process of handling a deceased person's body after death in the context of a funeral
  • Funeral homes play a significant role in guiding families through the different options available for final disposition, including burial, cremation, and alternative options
  • It's important to consider legalities, regulations, and religious or cultural considerations when making decisions about final disposition
Edit to add: Checkout the practices of Torajan peoples…pretty interesting.

Last Edited:
nearing my 75th birthday i am thinking about what to do with my remains after i die. i don't like the idea of an expensive funeral, or creamation. so what are my other options? any ideas?
This is a VERY controversial subject. One family member works in the "death industry". Often what you choose may be a problem after you leave. Often family suddenly decide they want a say. Then there is all the rules and laws the place you live piles on. Pretty much gone are the days of people having a "family plot" on their own land. I don't know if its still done but the cheapest was for a long time donation. Teaching Hospitals used to allow for donation. The agreement you let them have you after you are done to use for teaching. At some point they would bury or burn whats left when they were done. Don't know if any are still doing this. Cheapest way to go if you pay is of course cremation. If you want to do this look around your area for one with "pre need". Where you set it all up and pay for it in advance. Once set up when you are gone they send someone to pick up the body, take care of the cremation. Give the ashes to whoever you want them to go to. A LOT of the cost of these budget methods are inflated due to regulations. I have LONG told Wife find the cheapest way to get rid of me. I will not be here and don't care how they do it. Told her if she uses the money from life insurance to have a fancy burial I will come back and haunt her :D

Burial at sea. It's fully legal in OR for a family member or friend to claim your body for transport... and if you got a buddy or family member with a boat that can get you over the 3 nautical mile line and a depth finder to get you over 600' deep... you're good. There are also charter boats that offer the service for a fee. Fairly economical but depends on what size of boat you require to accommodate the number of people that would be in attendance.

An uncle did that a couple years back. I think they paid about $500 for the charter boat.

No embalming or casket required. 👍

Last Edited:
disregarding laws and regulations, what would be a creative method. i know this is a serious subject to some people but my view is, if you can't laugh at your own death you can live in fear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not!

disregarding laws and regulations, what would be a creative method. i know this is a serious subject to some people but my view is, if you can't laugh at your own death you can live in fear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not!
If you suddenly find yourself walking through peaceful golden fields of wheat with the sun on your face, don't be alarmed….. 'cuz you're already dead!

my oldest brother died from a heart attack at 35yo, on a hunting trip of course. he told his hunting partner to just roll him under a bush and let the coyotes have him.......he didn't get his wish.

I don't think cremation is all that expensive.

First of all, you need to leave instructions. Even then, there is no guarantee that they will be followed. If you are a thoughtful person, you will make financial arrangements in advance. Or leave enough money behind so that those with instructions can do the job as you have chosen.

Choosing cremation doesn't require purchase of a permanent repository; you can have your executor scatter or leave them anywhere. Located in a city where I used to work (but not for), there was a filled-up cemetery that had been deeded over to the municipality. There was no more money to be made from burials, so the property defaulted to the city and they took it over. Basically, it meant mowing the lawn. So one time, they got a package in the mail addressed to X City Cemetery. It had been mailed from Alaska; the decedent had left instructions that he wanted to be buried in X City Cemetery. His attorney or executor had mailed his cremated remains to this city. Who turned it over to their parks department, who in turn simply dumped the ashes in a flower bed, as burials were no longer being done.

Mrs. Merkt, a Roman Catholic, wants burial in a Catholic cemetery. I don't really care, so I went along with her wishes. I got her to agree to cremation, formerly a big no-no for hard core Catholics but it's now accepted (if frowned upon by some). We bought a little niche in this cemetery for the urns to be placed. No expensive "land" to purchase, no expensive embalming, etc., no expensive caskets, no expensive digging. It's bought and paid for, so it won't be an expense for our children.

Your instructions need to be left with a responsible person. A cousin of my mother never had children. Her husband died first and she was widowed, so had no close relatives to take care of "final arrangements." This chore fell to some younger guy the husband had worked with, "he was like a son." Right. Anyway, when this woman died, this guy had her buried (the plot was pre-paid). The guy was also the beneficiary of her will, and he never paid for a headstone to mark her grave. I guess he didn't want to cut into his inherited money to pay for it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top