JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You guys have some great threads and I start this just to be part of the group. While I don't see myself as tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist doom and gloom person I guess if you talk about survival then folks will profile you as such.

My effort here is to bring what I see on the net and discuss it some with you guys. I know many of you are much smarter and far better prepared than I am so its obvious you are better thinkers and I love opinions.

Before this becomes too long to read I will summarize the video that its all about shortages because of our just in time system. Its a little long but tells you whats comming and the increase in cost with it.

I appreciate your opinions. :s0093:

Its bigger than folks realize and a big part of why we have an ammo shortage. It not just the demand for ammo but the supply chain. Our tax structure taxes any product or machinery in your manufacturing like bullet on the shelf waiting to be loaded. Tax is so high businesses don't keep stock on hand and do just in time deliveries to keep operating.

Ammo manufacturers probably didn't store enough of what they need to load and just in time failed them.

Its bigger than folks realize and a big part of why we have an ammo shortage. It not just the demand for ammo but the supply chain. Our tax structure taxes any product or machinery in your manufacturing like bullet on the shelf waiting to be loaded. Tax is so high businesses don't keep stock on hand and do just in time deliveries to keep operating.

Ammo manufacturers probably didn't store enough of what they need to load and just in time failed them.
Businesses use JIT inventory so as not to have excess stock on hand. Taxes MAY be a part of it, however overall and as a generalization a small part....

Businesses use JIT inventory so as not to have excess stock on hand. Taxes MAY be a part of it, however overall and as a generalization a small part....
Before I retired I worked for one of the largest construction companies in America. Taxes became such a burden they sold all their equipment that wasn't used on a regular basis and rented equipment from then on. Ordered parts rather than keep spares right down to ear plugs and batteries.

I won't steer the thread but since its about survival I would hope folks talk just a little on alternative products to use in shortages. I know never use leaves for TP but as shortages increase I would really like to hear what folks make work for them. :s0093:

A significant factor in the impending failure of this "just in time " mode of operation is that unskilled and semi skilled labor is almost unavailable.
People sincerely don't want to work.
Every warehouse I deal with is falling apart.
Truck drivers are also in short supply.
$10K plus signing bonuses for CDLs is normal now for the places I buy from.

Ultimately it comes down to the bean counters and the need to please the stock holders. In the (very good) video, Toyota came out ahead of the chip shortage because they chose to think differently about critical supplies for their assembly lines. Call it corporate foresight or maybe it was one rogue VP in charge of production who was a bit of a hoarder at heart, Toyota still has all of the things they need for productuon, for now anyway. Just in time inventory has been the holy mantra in not just manufacturing but retail as well. Thus the toilet paper and cleaning supply shortages. While things are notably better now, prices are increasing across the board as manufacturing and distribution scramble to normalize. Don't worry, things will get worse before they get better.

I've been retired 15 years so my perspective is dated ... but JIT was touted as a cost-savings strategy. That is [as long as needed parts/materials arrived on time] the interval between incurring an expense and being paid for product was minimized to greatest extent practical.

Edit to add: Our financial analysts saw inventory as an expense incurred that wasn't providing a timely return. Operational types like me looked at inventory as the assurance of production continuity.

Last Edited:
A significant factor in the impending failure of this "just in time " mode of operation is that unskilled and semi skilled labor is almost unavailable.
People sincerely don't want to work.
Every warehouse I deal with is falling apart.
Truck drivers are also in short supply.
$10K plus signing bonuses for CDLs is normal now for the places I buy from.
:confused: I retired and got rid of my CDL I had to have to haul equipment. The state is so ornery to CDL drivers I saw no use in keeping it. I can't speak for others but the constant tyranny on your life if you have a lic isn't worth the low wages imho.

There is no way I would give up a life of freedom to having your day tracked every minute of your life. I keep thinking they will rid the country of truckdrivers and have self driving vehicles.

:confused: I retired and got rid of my CDL I had to have to haul equipment. The state is so ornery to CDL drivers I saw no use in keeping it. I can't speak for others but the constant tyranny on your life if you have a lic isn't worth the low wages imho.

There is no way I would give up a life of freedom to having your day tracked every minute of your life. I keep thinking they will rid the country of truckdrivers and have self driving vehicles.

It's like a lot of wage slave traps . If you want to keep any free time, your income suffers. If you maximize your earning of hourly wages, you have no enjoyment of life.

It's like a lot of wage slave traps . If you want to keep any free time, your income suffers. If you maximize your earning of hourly wages, you have no enjoyment of life.
I made damn good money and retired early working hourly but it made me angry that I hade to have a CDL to haul my equipment. Get done running equipment and have to waste an hour doing a pee test. :confused:

I made damn good money and retired early working hourly but it made me angry that I hade to have a CDL to haul my equipment. Get done running equipment and have to waste an hour doing a pee test.
Yep , and foregoing lots of recreational options. Being responsible yes . But also sacrificing freedoms for the sake of the "license ".

Yep , and foregoing lots of recreational options. Being responsible yes . But also sacrificing freedoms for the sake of the "license ".
I have been retired for 7 years but still talk to workmates driving truck for a huge company.. Friends tell me they are on an electronic leash now that they must carry with them at all times.

To me its part of the JIT shortage, who wants to work driving truck to haul ammo on a leash.

^^^^^
Feels like a good way to make people (especially young people) look at work as futile. And maybe sitting on the couch, playing video games, smoking weed and eating welfare seafood is an easy out.

Now I got that tin foil on tight. Lol
My hat's got more tin than yours does :eek: :s0140: One more reason for a reset..:s0093:

I have noticed the grocery stores can't keep the brands i want on the shelves and they use JIT and have no warehouses. Old man needs his favorite soup and its hit and miss at the store.

I made damn good money and retired early working hourly but it made me angry that I hade to have a CDL to haul my equipment. Get done running equipment and have to waste an hour doing a pee test. :confused:
Meanwhile people sitting on their butt being leeches on society as welfare get money sans pee test, it's a screwed up world.

I have noticed the grocery stores can't keep the brands i want on the shelves and they use JIT and have no warehouses. Old man needs his favorite soup and its hit and miss at the store.
You have no idea how thin the perishables supply is spread.
I've been working with food my entire adult life, and specifically in the retail grocery meat department for the last 20 .
Almost nothing has more than a 72 hour back stock available (depending on size of the operation).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top