JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meanwhile people sitting on their butt being leeches on society as welfare get money sans pee test, it's a screwed up world.
Retired early, everything paid for, still have a good income and get to go shoot anytime i want to. I am happy to have worked hard and got here. Just really annoying the shortages going on and I really want to shoot more but ammo prices slow me down.

You have no idea how thin the perishables supply is spread.
I've been working with food my entire adult life, and specifically in the retail grocery meat department for the last 20 .
Almost nothing has more than a 72 hour back stock available (depending on size of the operation).
One day I will share a story about my neighbor in the food business at the start of covid. He sold food to restaurants and then the restaurants closed due to covid. Tough deal for a while.

I have noticed the grocery stores can't keep the brands i want on the shelves and they use JIT and have no warehouses. Old man needs his favorite soup and its hit and miss at the store.
Reatail and grocery have been relying on JIT for several decades now. It was fine for attaining a bottom line and squeezing out every nickel of profit possible. Unfortunately, none of their MBA's or Six Sigma guru's saw a pandemic coming. However, they're all in the boat together so nobody's heads will roll. That's nice because someone will have to turn the lights out when efficiency won't fill the shelves anymore.

Just-in-time manufacturing + just-in-time delivery + a populace that has very little knowledge or experience in building things (or in growing food) = a catastrophe waiting to happen.

When/if the bottom drops out, a lot of people are going to get very cold and very hungry. Except for the Amish. They might not even notice what's happening, until they have lines of people at their doors begging for a meal.

I keep thinking about the Victory Gardens that people grew (during WW2, I think), and how challenging it is for modern city dwellers to have a vegetable garden.

About 30 years ago, my wife and I visited one of her brothers, who was living in Manhattan. He and his wife were on the top (5th) floor of an apartment building, and had access to the rooftop. They bought some dirt - I don't know who they got it from, or how much they paid. After it was delivered, they brought it up onto the roof and made a little container-garden there. Had a garden hose running up through a skylight, as I recall.

They had plenty of time, and easy access to water, so they had a nice experience. It was a "hobby garden".

If our modern supply chains were to trickle to a stop, or some event just shut everything down, the city dwellers wouldn't have time to buy dirt, buy seeds, learn how to grow and preserve food, etc. They'd have to leave the cities, in a hurry.

Those who could, would probably end up with friends or family who have a place where food could be produced. And that means access to water, along with the dirt.

If the city of Salem were to start emptying out, my guess is that a lot of the people would gather near the Willamette River, or by any large body of water they could find. Once their canned and dry goods ran out, they'd probably start sending scouts out into the rural areas, looking for supplies.

Maybe some of you younger folks will be enterprising enough to find ways of supplying the necessities of life to the gigantic homeless encampments that would spring up along the river. That would be a noble undertaking.

But I expect we would see every embodiment of Government there is, patrolling the rural areas and confiscating whatever they could lay their hands on. So, we'd have quite a fight on our hands.

If you have preps, you're probably going to have to defend them. Hiding the bulk of your food would probably be best. If they can't find it, they can't take it.

The "Neighborhood Watch" might be a good idea for those of us in rural areas, if things got that bad. Some hunters set up as snipers would be a powerful deterrent to a Stalin-esque squad of government goons "collecting food for the common good".

Well. I've rambled way too much. I'll just say this, and then quit: If a man has seeds, dirt, and water - and knows how to grow and then preserve food - he's way ahead of most folks. But he'll probably have to fight to protect his family and property.

You guys have some great threads and I start this just to be part of the group. While I don't see myself as tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist doom and gloom person I guess if you talk about survival then folks will profile you as such.

My effort here is to bring what I see on the net and discuss it some with you guys. I know many of you are much smarter and far better prepared than I am so its obvious you are better thinkers and I love opinions.

Before this becomes too long to read I will summarize the video that its all about shortages because of our just in time system. Its a little long but tells you whats comming and the increase in cost with it.

I appreciate your opinions. :s0093:
I will look at your video later on.

Years ago, my late husband and I discussed JIT deliveries.

We thought that IT WAS A BAD IDEA at the time and I still believe that IT is a bad idea.

I will read the rest of this thread later on.

Thank you.

Cate

The video is decent source of information but like ALL so-called information videos it has a bias. The original version of JIT was a very workable concept. The 'americanized' (e.g. for profit) version, did not factor in 'economy's of scale'. If there is such a 'shortage' of containers for shipping, why are they being repurposed for housing etc. There are more than two ports on the west coast and what about railroad transportation of 'containers'? Inquiring minds want to know!

FRP - Fiber Reinforced Paneling
You see it on the walls and sometimes ceilings in food prep rooms/areas and on wet walls in restrooms.

We had some "Subway Tile" pattern spec'ed for a Coffee Bar.
Not available.
Then tried for a P-lam (plastic laminate) substitute.
Not available.

Real ceramic tile in subway pattern was available.
Client got the look they wanted in the real thing.

Light fixtures are among the most difficult items to get in regards to building items.
They were bad pre-COVID anf now worse.

I will look at your video later on.

Years ago, my late husband and I discussed JIT deliveries.

We thought that IT WAS A BAD IDEA at the time and I still believe that IT is a bad idea.

I will read the rest of this thread later on.

Thank you.

Cate
When my wife was alive we talked often about the rewards system being part of grocery stores JIT program. She convinced me to get a rewards card for the payback but I argued that I didn't like the stores tracking every purchase.

Thanks for your input here, you folks are the best. :)

I know never use leaves for TP but as shortages increase I would really like to hear what folks make work for them.
It was easier once the chillens left....
02HOARDER8-WEB-master675.jpg

:D

Almost every change in retail is consumer driven. Price is the number one deciding factor for food purchases hands down. When these operating methods were new , they cut costs. Any business not using these methods was left with offering higher prices to their customers because of their higher operating costs.
Join or die is not just a revolutionary slogan, it works in commerce too.

I've been retired 15 years so my perspective is dated ... but JIT was touted as a cost-savings strategy. That is [as long as needed parts/materials arrived on time] the interval between incurring an expense and being paid for product was minimized to greatest extent practical.

Edit to add: Our financial analysts saw inventory as an expense incurred that wasn't providing a timely return. Operational types like me looked at inventory as the assurance of production continuity.
Many years ago I got to tour Harley Davidson in York PA and learned about their JIT/Demand Flow operation. It made for a clean, well organized factory floor and allowed a highly customized assembly line process where no two bikes flowing along the line were the same. Only problem? If there was the slightest hicup in the delivery process for, say, motors from the motor assembly plant due to weather or some other unforeseeable event, they shut down the assembly line....dead in the water.

Same thing for our business in Portland....CAD guys ran Autolisp routines that pulled part numbers off an AS400 in York, PA and when the line got severed, the entire process went dead.

I've always believed we now hang by a thread called the electrical grid. Cut it and folks will be BBQ-ing their neighbors in short order.

I find in funny that the bean counters want us to use JIT supply for one of a kind parts installed in some equipment. As material is used up in a warehouse, they don't rebuy. They say it is not needed, and to expensive. (Lead times on some of the parts are YEARS). There is other equipment using the same parts, and of the same age. Stuff wears out at about the same time (give or take a couple of years). Might get really interesting for quite a few folks sooner rather than later. Since many sites around the country are doing the exact same thing.

You have no idea how thin the perishables supply is spread.
I've been working with food my entire adult life, and specifically in the retail grocery meat department for the last 20 .
Almost nothing has more than a 72 hour back stock available (depending on size of the operation).
Could you imagine store limiting meat like they do with ammo? One pack of meat and one fish. I know they did it with TP but at least no one starved.

Last year Costco had a shortage of beef and you were limited on how much you could buy.
That's mighty woke of them.

Over the years Costco has made it very difficult to source Prime grade beef for other grocers and even restaurants (unless you're willing to buy from them of course) by purchasing of all the prime they can find .
Since Costco's customers are also members, I guess this door doesn't always swing both ways.
Yes , my family has purchased Costco memberships without interruption for 25+ years.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews