JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Without wading thru 4 pages...

Northwest Armory, and The Gun Broker before it has std practice of 60% of used blue book value of a firearm they buy off the street. What you paid has nothing to do with what they buy used guns for. Its like cars, I paid $15k for my car. Its 7 years old now, its not worth 15K despite low miles and very good condition. If I want to trade it in, I may get 7K out of it. Maybe. Probably less. Retailers need to pay the bills and their employees. Used Glocks typically retail for $400, maybe 450. Not being terribly familiar with the going rate on your other gun, but going off what you saidd you paid for both, and generalizing that a used gun will be worth no more than 80% retail value, I'd say $500 would be in the ball park for a pair you paid $1200 originally for.

Thats why unless you need cash now, its better to find a private buyer and just use the FFL for the transfer. You get maximum value, and sometimes a guy has been wanting XX gun so bad they don't haggle. Your $1200 of guns could net you $960 if you were patient, assuming again 80% of retail. $700 is fair for both parties in your deal if you accept it- he gets a good discount, and you get quite a bit more than the dealer can pay.

As for the circumstances of your new deal, not shady at all. He followed you out so as not to piss off the shop, they almost all hate customers making deals in their store and get vocal about it. He may have guns on order, or consignment and didn't want to rock the boat. That he gave you $100 cash deposit speaks to him being straight up to me, rather than nefarious. He may not have had $700 in disposable cash at that moment.

I'd hunt for a good shop to do your transfer that won't rape you for 10 mins of paperwork, that you both agree on, then just sit home ogling pix of the gun you are after, sounds like an M17?

I didn't read through all but will say I've had a similar experience pre BGC days. It felt weird but the shop I was at was lowballing me on a 686 trade, the guy was right there not really paying attention but could clearly hear what was going on. Out in the parking lot he offered me what I wanted for it so I handed it over. He wasn't a young guy and back then handing a gun over for a handful of cash was how it was done. I didn't get the impression he was a sketchy dude but rather he was taking advantage of a situation.

After that encounter and further pondering I think there are people who do occasionally hang out where low ball offers are known to happen and if a certain deal peaks their interest they will attempt a more reasonable but still low offer knowing that the individual is probably ready to make a deal.

Northwest Armory, and The Gun Broker before it has std practice of 60% of used blue book value of a firearm they buy off the street. What you paid has nothing to do with what they buy used guns for. Its like cars, I paid $15k for my car. Its 7 years old now, its not worth 15K despite low miles and very good condition. If I want to trade it in, I may get 7K out of it. Maybe. Probably less. Retailers need to pay the bills and their employees. Used Glocks typically retail for $400, maybe 450. Not being terribly familiar with the going rate on your other gun, but going off what you saidd you paid for both, and generalizing that a used gun will be worth no more than 80% retail value, I'd say $500 would be in the ball park for a pair you paid $1200 originally for.

Thats why unless you need cash now, its better to find a private buyer and just use the FFL for the transfer. You get maximum value, and sometimes a guy has been wanting XX gun so bad they don't haggle. Your $1200 of guns could net you $960 if you were patient, assuming again 80% of retail. $700 is fair for both parties in your deal if you accept it- he gets a good discount, and you get quite a bit more than the dealer can pay.

As for the circumstances of your new deal, not shady at all. He followed you out so as not to piss off the shop, they almost all hate customers making deals in their store and get vocal about it. He may have guns on order, or consignment and didn't want to rock the boat. That he gave you $100 cash deposit speaks to him being straight up to me, rather than nefarious. He may not have had $700 in disposable cash at that moment.

I'd hunt for a good shop to do your transfer that won't rape you for 10 mins of paperwork, that you both agree on, then just sit home ogling pix of the gun you are after, sounds like an M17?

Well said, Good Post!!!

"Sadly gun owners in WA and OR allowed this. We shall see soon enough if enough gun owners have yet learned anything."

Well... OR had it illegally passed as an "emergency measure", IIRC. An out of control legislature forcing it's will on the people.
WA voted for it.

OK, who put it in, in OR as an "Emergency measure"?
Stumped?
It was the Governor IIRC.
Were you living in OR when Kate won? If so you may remember there was an opponent running, remember him? He was the one MANY conservative, gun owning people loved to trash and call names. Those same conservative, gun owning voters, in large quantities, refused to vote at all, or threw their vote away. All claiming they were superior as they refused to vote for the squish, RINO, turncoat, ect, insert your favorite word for some GOP that is not 100% here. So Kate won. So guess what Kate started doing to those conservative, gun owning voters who put her in office. She started hosing them. Then guess what those same voters did? Scream about why is this happening.
Now lets look at my back yard. Some big money liberals put it on the ballot. Those same gun owning conservatives here could not be bothered with voting. Many of them I ran into after it passed had NEVER even heard of it until it smacked them at time to try to sell. So what did they do? Scream at the NRA for "allowing it".
"Out of control legislature?" OR and WA have a good one of those. So how do these law makers get to Salem and Olympia? That's right, gun owning conservative voters put them there. Unless gun owners decide to stop being their own worst enemies and wake up can you blame liberals for hosing them?
In every election there is choice. Often the choice is FAR from good but, if say millions of gun owners in each state got behind the best of the worst? We would win. If you do that for a few elections things change. Politicians only fear one thing, losing power. They could care less if the mail room is stacked to the ceiling with angry letters as long as they win. Kick a few to the curb? The rest suddenly pay attention. Next big election is just weeks away, lets see if the gun owners have had enough yet or if they want to allow more, then scream when they get what they voted for. <shrug>

YES!! From the time this thread started I have been wondering why the strange posts from so many. Is it just me? I seldom walk in my favorite shops that there does not seem to be some just shooting the breeze and such. As with a car, buy one then come back to dealer and get mad he is offering 60% of what you paid? No one puts a gun to the sellers head and tells them to take the 60%. Now if I was there and saw it, I would NOT try to make the buy in front of the shop owners. Just seems poor taste and manors. If it was some gun I wanted? Hell yes I would follow the guy and say hey can we talk. Now I doubt I would be trusting enough to give him a deposit but I have had people do this to me. When I was selling I have had people come look, say payday is in ............. can you hold it, and hand me cash to do so. They did not know me from Adam but wanted the gun. As long as the buyer here was not trying to get around the new laws on BGC I can't see anything wrong here. The owner was offering an IMHO very fair deal on the guns. Sounds like the buyer knew. Not everyone has 7 Bills at hand. A lot of people I work with would not unless they went and got an advance. So maybe waiting till payday?

That's an obvious no on the deal for you from the store.. but I don't particularly see the guy approaching you outside as shady. He can't help his size. I try not to judge people on their outward appearance but rather their behavior. He probably thought that the offer they made you was insulting just the same as you and decided he'd like to give it a better shot. I'd still be on guard to see if it spiraled into a less than ideal situation. It's also possible he worked there and wanted the deal for himself. I'm sure his shop wouldn't appreciate it but hell, they made a lousy offer they shouldn't be too surprised.

On a side note, if he decides to have the store you went to as the facilitator for the transaction, that'd be a slap in the face to shop because they could have turned the difference between their offer and that guy's offer as pure, easy profit.

I would've been hesitant as well. Now, are the $50's legit? Did you check them? How is he planning on paying you the $700 and where is the exchange going to take place? Could't You have gone back into the GS and had the background check initiated right then and there? Never done a private party transaction myself, but I've traded in at three different places.

Ive been wanting to get a new striker fired 9mm with external safety for a while now to replace my G19. So when I heard that Sig just released the P320 with external safety, I was all over it. Went to my friendly local firearms store in Milwaukie to make a deal happen, as they have said pistol in stock.
My Idea was to trade in my Near Mint G19 as well as Near Mint Matching KelTec Sub 2K. The Glock has been updated with Trijicon Hi-Vis glow dots, front and rear. And a sweet Talon grip skin. The Kel-Tec has is a very rare Nickle-Boron finish, and is the G19 model. Ultra low round count.
So my friendly neighborhood gun shop, after minimal inspection and even less apathy told me that they would give me $450 for the pair of guns. In trade. Funny, I said. Was it even two years ago that I gave you $1200 for these same guns, right here? She said that she understood my plight, we wished each other a fine day and parted ways. And yes, I left with which I came!
Now this is where things get interesting.
As I am walking down the steps, dazed and confused by the raping that I just avoided... I notice a huge guy has just followed me out! 7 feet tall! And he's trying to talk to me! Very very weird, what the hell is going on? Oh, he want to know what I want for my guns. I have to think quickly, so much is going through my head right now... such as; this is a big dude! Is this ok? We haven't even gotten off the steps! This guy is huge! How much money would be worth doing a shady feeling gun deal on the steps of the establishment that I have been doing business with for years? This guy is very conspicuos, and very tall.
Ok, my wits come about me now after all this craziness goes through my head. We move over to the side of the parking lot where he is parked, I show him my merchandise. He asks again what I want for them, and he doesn't hesitate a bit when I say I was hoping to get $700 for the pair. He'll take them. Ok, I say. But I will not sell without the BG check. Absolutely no way. He says that's not a problem, and that he will give me $100 to hold them until we can do the check. I said that would be ok, and remind him again that I won't do the sale without it.
We exchange numbers, chat a little about where we work, and say our goodbyes. I go back to my car, he goes back into the gun store!
So thanks for reading my rambling dialog of how this all went down, but believe me it feels very accurate for how it went down in my brain. I was totally sideswipe by this guy, and still have a icky feeling about it for the many different reasons I already stated. Plus the fact that I have two fifty dollar bills that don't belong to me, and that we still need to perform Oregon's stupid background check before this can be done.

Any thoughts?
Any advice?
Is this ok, or should I watch for

View attachment 507586

View attachment 507587
First of all I believe I went to the same gun store and they tried to lowball me on a Ruger 300 Win Mag FTW with a Leupold Vari x 3 l 4 1/2 to 14 50 mm offered me $650. Second if it is not the same person who offered to buy them walk away give them their $100 you are safe that's way it is not a straw purchase.

Ive been wanting to get a new striker fired 9mm with external safety for a while now to replace my G19. So when I heard that Sig just released the P320 with external safety, I was all over it. Went to my friendly local firearms store in Milwaukie to make a deal happen, as they have said pistol in stock.
My Idea was to trade in my Near Mint G19 as well as Near Mint Matching KelTec Sub 2K. The Glock has been updated with Trijicon Hi-Vis glow dots, front and rear. And a sweet Talon grip skin. The Kel-Tec has is a very rare Nickle-Boron finish, and is the G19 model. Ultra low round count.
So my friendly neighborhood gun shop, after minimal inspection and even less apathy told me that they would give me $450 for the pair of guns. In trade. Funny, I said. Was it even two years ago that I gave you $1200 for these same guns, right here? She said that she understood my plight, we wished each other a fine day and parted ways. And yes, I left with which I came!
Now this is where things get interesting.
As I am walking down the steps, dazed and confused by the raping that I just avoided... I notice a huge guy has just followed me out! 7 feet tall! And he's trying to talk to me! Very very weird, what the hell is going on? Oh, he want to know what I want for my guns. I have to think quickly, so much is going through my head right now... such as; this is a big dude! Is this ok? We haven't even gotten off the steps! This guy is huge! How much money would be worth doing a shady feeling gun deal on the steps of the establishment that I have been doing business with for years? This guy is very conspicuos, and very tall.
Ok, my wits come about me now after all this craziness goes through my head. We move over to the side of the parking lot where he is parked, I show him my merchandise. He asks again what I want for them, and he doesn't hesitate a bit when I say I was hoping to get $700 for the pair. He'll take them. Ok, I say. But I will not sell without the BG check. Absolutely no way. He says that's not a problem, and that he will give me $100 to hold them until we can do the check. I said that would be ok, and remind him again that I won't do the sale without it.
We exchange numbers, chat a little about where we work, and say our goodbyes. I go back to my car, he goes back into the gun store!
So thanks for reading my rambling dialog of how this all went down, but believe me it feels very accurate for how it went down in my brain. I was totally sideswipe by this guy, and still have a icky feeling about it for the many different reasons I already stated. Plus the fact that I have two fifty dollar bills that don't belong to me, and that we still need to perform Oregon's stupid background check before this can be done.

Any thoughts?
Any advice?
Is this ok, or should I watch for something?

View attachment 507586

View attachment 507587

Sounds legit private sale. Have him checked with the $100.00 and charge him the balance if he's clean. Win win. LGS are a business, they cannot pay you the same that you pay them. They pay in some cases 40% of retail and charge you retail. That's $600 plus transfer cost and paperwork expense. I have purchased from manufacturers/wholesalers and paid FFL to transfer, if you can't do the legwork and find a FFL who can work with you, you will pay retail. It's capitalism my friend, it keeps everyone employed and fed.

Surprised I am the only one to say outloud, I would bet this guy is a gunstore employee sent out to hassle you for selling on their property. When you played it straight and didn't poach on their business he gave up. You'll probably get a call from him in a couple of days and he'll ask for his money back. Wouldn't put it past ATF to be doing a little entrapping try either.

Surprised I am the only one to say outloud, I would bet this guy is a gunstore employee sent out to hassle you for selling on their property. When you played it straight and didn't poach on their business he gave up. You'll probably get a call from him in a couple of days and he'll ask for his money back. Wouldn't put it past ATF to be doing a little entrapping try either.
Except it sounds like the OP was a regular there and would have noticed a 7' tall employee. also ATF doesn't give a Shiete about parking lot gun sales. That BS is a state law, not Federal.

Really?? Doesn't seem like anyone broke any useless or useful laws. Those guns stores that sell used are just like the pawnshops only different. But 7 feet tall...yikes, he might be a cop, just kidding. You didn't do anything wrong, you just got an opportunity while stunned; you did the right thing and if you continue doing the right thing, you shouldn't have to spend too much time in jail. OK, just kidding again. This dam nation/state has us being quite paranoid, not kidding. Congratulations for your integrity and pursuit of what you want while doing so. You gun shop folks will be happy to see you next time, I hope you can be happy to see them.

Except it sounds like the OP was a regular there and would have noticed a 7' tall employee. also ATF doesn't give a Shiete about parking lot gun sales. That BS is a state law, not Federal.

Ah, you must have missed the ATF is now coming after anybody they can label as being in the business of selling guns. As we know, they are now checking on simultaneous purchases of more than a single gun ..stands to reason they would be checking on simultaneous sale of more than one. As for a 7 foot employee... most sporting goods stores around where I live, hire student jocks, nearly everybody looks like a linebacker or small forward and wear costumes, number jerseys and referee striped pullovers. A 7 footer in a suit sounds like a "stop loss" employee, off-duty cop moonlighting. Go to your nearest WalMart and open the door to their camera viewing room.. nothing but buffed up plain clothes guys with a pair of handcuffs in their hip pockets.

What thread are you reading?? The OP just walked away. I did not see anywhere that he was making any attempt to sell to anyone other than the shop. He did not set up a sign out front saying gun for sale.
As for the ATF, again what thread are you reading? There is nothing wrong by Federal law with selling a gun you own to another person. Before the state put these stupid laws in this was done all the time. Only way ATF would care is if the seller made a "habit" of this, ie was selling guns as a business with no FFL. Only other way would be if the ATF got wind of the guy selling guns to prohibited people.

Not sure what you dreamed you were reading but the guy said he walked out of the gun store and a stranger ran up to him and offered to by his guns, offered so forcefully he gave him a hundred bucks to hold it/them until he came back with federal approval. None of that has anything to do with setting up a table trying to buy or sell anything. No, ATF doesn't care if you sell a legal gun to a non felon. They sure as Hell care if you sell several guns to anybody and will come to your house and demand to see your sales receipts. And if you sell what they think is "too many" they will send you a "Cease and Desist Letter" and sic the IRS on you.
The Federal Gun Control act of 1968 requires you to report the sale of two or more handguns at the same time or within 5 consecutive business days of each other. The state's got nothing to do with that. Except it wants a chunk for sales taxes.

I've never seen so many "walls of text" in one thread.
OP, what was the final result ?

We met up at Money Market Pawn for the BGC. As I got to know him a bit while we were waiting, I realized he's a pretty cool hug with lots of P-Town history.
All was well in the end, I was just seriously caught off guard by the approach.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top