JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry, IMHO something sounds amiss where an individual walks out behind you from the LGS to offer to purchase, at your asking price, w/o consummating the deal right then and there, yet gives you two fiftys as collateral and now has your name, number, where you work, and yes, even perhaps your home address so your brand new buddy can meet up there to consummate this deal!

NO, never, of course not, I do not see a thing out of place or out of the norm with this very strange meeting as I am sure it happens all the time.

Did you see the 'big man' in the LGS shopping while you were there? Standing close enough to hear your conversation with the shop owners/clerk?

a sidebar: what does having a OR concealed have to do with purchase of a handgun when ATF says there is no exemption in OR?

Sorry, IMHO something sounds amiss where an individual walks out behind you from the LGS to offer to purchase, at your asking price, w/o consummating the deal right then and there, yet gives you two fiftys as collateral and now has your name, number, where you work, and yes, even perhaps your home address so your brand new buddy can meet up there to consummate this deal!

NO, never, of course not, I do not see a thing out of place or out of the norm with this very strange meeting as I am sure it happens all the time.

Did you see the 'big man' in the LGS shopping while you were there? Standing close enough to hear your conversation with the shop owners/clerk?

a sidebar: what does having a OR concealed have to do with purchase of a handgun when ATF says there is no exemption in OR?
Gun stores tend to have people looking to buy guns in them. :) It's not much of a leap, especially at $700. I'd probably have done the same thing only gone straight to my bank for the cash. And CCW permit holders are nationally one of the most law-abiding demographics.

It's a very normal situation. All of it. Gun shops have overhead and profit to make so they don't have much choice but to lowball you. It's just like selling a used car...you'll make a lot more if you sell it directly than to a dealer. So don't get too upset at the shop. Like I said, they've got overhead and it's a lot higher than the tall gentleman.

And as for him, he's in the shop, very likely looking to buy a gun or two and he just so happens onto your situation. He's likely stoked because you just so happen to have the guns he's looking for and he can get them from you for far less than he can the shop...and you make a lot more from him than the shop. It's a win for everyone...err...except maybe the gun shop. But deals like this happen all the time.

Moroever, you were clear about the background check and he had zero issues with it to the point of giving you $100 to hold the guns. Odds are pretty high that he's legit and can legally purchase/own firearms. Somebody who isn't, likely wouldn't hand over $100 when he knows you were adamant about the background check.

So yea, I would schedule the background check and take the normal precautions...use a reputable dealer, do the transaction in the store if they'll let you or a safe public place. Make sure it's a cash transaction. Bring a buddy along with you if you're at all worried.

Devil's Advocate here, just curious did you give him a receipt for his deposit?

I have never given nor received one without evidence of said deposit.
The reason why I leaned more on not doing this, as for me it was odd.
I mean this guy if he did not get a receipt, just gave a complete stranger 100.00 ?
And you said you would hold them until you can do the check? What does that mean exactly.
Like a day, a week a year? There is no responsible time, unless stated.
Not a lawyer, but having gone to law school, it was always instilled in me records, records =
evidence. I hope it does work out, but for me it would have been a no go the more I thought of it.

Thanks for all the insight guys!
This makes me feel a lot better about the situation. I did also just realize through reading, that I will have to climb those steps again once the sale completes in order to purchase that shiny eye candy I've been after.
I guess it was a little weird, and caught me off
guard.

Standard rate for a reputable dealer is 75% of potential sale price like I said.

They would probably resell those two guns for around $400 each, so the offer should be around $600 for the pair.

I'm very disappointed in the low quote that they gave me, but I do understand their need to buy low, sell high, etc. Brick n mortar shops are falling as if made from straw, and I would like to support them as best I can. But that being said, the almighty dollar speaks loudest, and they couldn't even offer me half of what I paid for em. That will be the last time I offer to sell or trade any firearm I own to a store.

Going to hope for the best here with the rest of the transaction and BGC. If it falls through, we shall be seeing it on the classified section soon ;)

O yeah....I think a contact including stop watch for funds...make sure he is purchaser...
MEET IN DAYLIGHT IN FFL...GO EARLY TO AVOID BEING CAUGHT OUTSIDE FOR " one last lookin "
POST EM HERE WITHA PIC AND MAKE A BROTHER OR SISTER HAPPY.

GOTTA ADD...
SINCE OUTSIDE MAYBE FINE BUT STILL ON PROPERTY...
IS IT NOT A CRIME TO TRY AND OUT PRICE PURCHASE A FIREARM "give them at least scrap " WHILE AT SAID FFL PROPERTY.?....

Maybe our esteemed colleague Country Gent can chime in...I thought I read a thread containing such law...:s0071:

I wouldn't worry about it. Just do the BCG and you're good to go. Doubt he has any ill intentions.

That said... A giant of a man in Milwaukie... Hanging out at that gun store... It was probably my dad! LOL

I think I've crossed swords with that chick before.

Meet the big dude at an FFL and be done done with it.
Don't agree to anything other that that would be my advice.
I still don't know why you two couldn't have walked back into NWA and done the deal ?

Well, since the giant didn't just mug you and take the guns I'd have to say he sounds straight up.
Let us know how it ends.

Since outside maybe fine but still on property...
Is it not a crime to try and out price purchase a firearm...

Not that I'm aware of. It IS "bad form" to attempt to conduct private business within their establishment... not illegal... but you'll likely be asked to leave the premises and never return.

I agree with most. Nothing hinky I can see. You're a seller... the shop won't meet your price... he catches you "second-in-line" and will. I'm not 7' tall but I woulda been hot on your heels too! ;-)

As far as not getting a receipt for deposit... not "incredibly" odd. He may just be taking a gamble that you're an upstanding guy and he doesn't want to miss out on a fantastic deal, or, it's just as likely he might be a regular in the shop and had a short convo with the guy at the counter.

Ie., You know that guy? Yeah.. he's in quite a bit and bought from us a few times.

That alone might be enough of a "reference" for him that he felt it was a safe enough bet.

Not terribly unlike paying someone from our NWF classifieds via paypal F&F with no recourse should they choose not to honor their end of the deal. Some folks are still willing to do business on a handshake... even though it may be "virtual".

Only problem I see... if your price was 7... you shoulda asked for 8. ;-)

I think that particular store...:rolleyes:...might charge like $50.00, or more for the transfer. I'd be a bit creeped out if some total stranger came at me like that. Selling/buying from folks here seems different being there's the rating system and all. Did dude say how long you're supposed to hold the guns for him?

Money market Pawn on Powell at 120th or so charges $30.00 out the door.

We had a quick conversation this evening, the next step is to find a FFL dealer. I have a guy out in Oregon City that has been wonderful. Works out of his garage, but I like him. Trust him.
Have you used the Powell shop? I am slightly concerned about the possibility of him not passing, and having to do my own BGC just to get my property back.

Very good deal. I have seldom been to a LGS where there was not at least one person hanging around to BS and or look. He heard, saw, thought chance to score. VERY fair offer you gave him. He is the trusting one that he gave you cash up front. Now unless it's different in OR than WA the sale takes place at the store. When I did this met the buyer. Both of us showed ID. He was run and hit a delayed. I walked out with my gun. Couple days later shop called him said he was a go. I meet him again. This time he gave me cash before we even went in. He does the rest in the shop and takes his gun. So unless OR does it some other way you should be able to walk back out with your guns if the buyer does not pass.

Never run into a buyer being delayed or denied, so can't say for sure. Could be a couple ways that it runs.

1. Gun is on FFL's books, they allow you to leave, you have been paid for gun. Any "problem" is now up to the buyer to resolve. It's not technically his property until transferred.

2. Like you mention, gun is on FFL books, buyer delayed / denied, you have allready been paid, you refund buyer money minus second BGC (your BGC) to get your gun off FFL book and back to you.

Most FFL's don't let either party leave until transaction is complete, however some do. When buying, I get near on instant approval, even on busy weekend days, however folks with common names and no CHL may not.

Some FFL's I've dealt with a bunch let me leave if I'm the seller. See above note about gun being there property once on book. Some times I will leave , sometimes I won't. Depends on what else we have going on that day, and will mention such to other party before meeting, so there's no surprises.

Perhaps mention such/similar to buyer before you meet. "If your denied & or delayed, you pay my BGC and then get refunded difference...or somesuch". Aleviates concern up front. Buyer could mention "always get delayed" "never bought anything with this system, dunno" "never get delayed, trade a bunch" etc etc.

NWA is super spendy for transfer. $50 last time. Dunno if they would charge $100, or not. Can if they want, it's there business.

Tigard pawn 4 more seems most reasonable price for brick and mortar store for transfers up that way. Should charge you full price for first (??$35 or 25 dunno exactly) plus $10 for second on same form.

You could call and ask them-how much fees to sell 2 handguns to one buyer. Bring your own color copies of drivers licenses, or they used to charge $2 for that. Good folks.

Are the two $50's real (not counterfeit)?

Walk into a FFL early (if you are worried about an ambush) so no one can "get set up". Or send a message and state you are running 10 mins late from the back of the parking lot and keep your eyes out for him and anyone else they may be with. Or bring a friend and both be CC.

Walk into FFL and state you are selling guns to the guy. Offer to let the guy inspect again if he wants. Once paperwork work starts reaffirm to the guy the $600 is remaining balance "and good luck on the BGC. I hope it goes quick for you." (make sure bills are real and not counterfeit). Take the money and walk out the door (while still looking for a possible "ambush" if you are still worried). Get in your vehicle and leave as fast as you can.

If he fails BGC or is delayed that is his problem, not yours. If it is denied all together, then oh well, that is still his problem. That is for him to figure out, and sort out. Let the guns stay on the FFL bound books. Not your problem.

Just my $0.02.
;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews