JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take it for what it's worth... Newhouse represents my district in Wa. State.

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for the Second Amendment and more specifically, pistol stabilizing braces which are used by disabled veterans and those with physical disabilities. It is important for me to hear from constituents as I work in Congress representing the people of Washington's 4th District. I sincerely appreciate you reaching out and sharing your views on this important issue.

I have been a lifelong supporter of the Second Amendment and the protection of law-abiding citizens' right to keep and bear arms. Our Founding Fathers felt this protection was important enough to include in the Bill of Rights and held that this right was a personal and fundamental right of all citizens in this country.

One of my first acts of the 117th Congress was to sponsor H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, introduced by Representative Richard Hudson (R-NC). This legislation would make it possible for individuals who are authorized to carry a concealed weapon to have reciprocity in all other states with concealed carry laws, therefore allowing them to use the permit issued from their home state. It has since been reintroduced in the 118th Congress. I look forward to its passage in the U.S. Senate.

Law-abiding citizens should not have to be concerned over the federal government regulating their firearms out of existence. I will remain a staunch defender of the Second Amendment and oppose any attempts to encroach on our right to bear arms.

As you know, on January 13, 2023, an ATF decision was released making pistol stabilizing braces illegal in certain situations. This decision has the potential to make law-abiding citizens felons overnight. Lawful citizens should not be at the mercy of inconsistent and unaccountable bureaucrats. Moreover, this decision disproportionately harms veterans who have lost their limbs in the line of duty as well as places an undue burden on those with physical disabilities.

For these reasons, the following week, I joined my fellow colleagues in the House and cosponsored a bill that would make the decision unconstitutional by expressing congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code. Similarly, in June 2021, I joined 140 colleagues in opposition to the proposed rule on stabilizing braces in a letter to the Attorney General Merrick Garland and ATF Acting Director Marvin Richardson. This letter outlined that the ATF itself has repeatedly stated, "the brace concept was inspired by the needs of disabled combat veterans who still enjoy recreational shooting but could not reliably control heavy pistols without assistance." Please know that I will do everything in my power to stand up for our Second Amendment rights against unlawful ATF decisions.

I hope you will continue to be in contact as Congress debates the many issues of importance to the country. Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns with me—I am always glad to hear from constituents of the 4th District. It is an honor and privilege to serve you in Congress.

Sincerely,
newhouse+sig.png
Rep. Dan Newhouse
Member of Congress

Hudson Introduces HR 38 Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, Begins 118th Congress
January 10, 2023

Press Release
Washington D.C. – After being sworn-in for the 118th Congress on Saturday, U.S. Representative Richard Hudson (R-NC) yesterday introduced H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. The bipartisan legislation has 118 original cosponsors.

"H.R. 38 guarantees the Second Amendment does not disappear when crossing an invisible state line," said Rep. Hudson. "The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act protects law-abiding citizens' rights to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits. I am especially proud to have such widespread and bipartisan support for this measure as I continue working to get this legislation over the finish line."

H.R. 38 would allow people with state-issued concealed carry licenses or permits to conceal a handgun in any other state, as long as the permit holder follows the laws of that state. It also allows residents of Constitutional carry states the ability to carry in other states.

Rep. Hudson has introduced the bipartisan Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act in previous years. In Dec. 2017, the bill was passed by the House with a vote of 231-198, yet was not taken up in the Senate. Rep. Hudson said at the time he would continue to pursue the legislation, which is supported by major pro-Second Amendment organizations.

"The U.S. Supreme Court recently affirmed that the fundamental right to keep and bear arms does not stop at a person's front door. Congress should now affirm that the right to self-defense does not stop at a state line," said Jason Ouimet, Executive Director of the NRA-ILA. "The NRA thanks Rep. Hudson for his strong and unwavering leadership in the march towards right-to-carry reciprocity."

"We applaud Congressman Hudson for continuing to stand up for the rights of law-abiding gun owners. This long-overdue legislation would represent a step in the right direction towards modernizing America's concealed carry laws to ensure responsible gun owners can avoid danger and save lives," said Tim Schmidt, President and Founder of the U.S. Concealed Carry Association. "The USCCA remains committed to getting national concealed carry reciprocity signed into law."

H.R. 38 has been called "the greatest gun rights boost since the ratification of the Second Amendment in 1791." This legislation is part ofRep. Hudson's leadership in Congress to defend the Second Amendmenton behalf of millions of law-abiding citizens. His recent efforts include leading opposition to new regulation from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) on pistol stabilizing braces, devices designed to help disabled veterans continue exercising their Second Amendment rights.

After being introduced, H.R. 38 now waits to be assigned to a committee in the U.S. House.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top