JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the SHTF rifle(s) a serious concern, simply an intellectual exercise, or something else?

• Yes, it is the number one concern when preparing.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • It is a major concern, but only one of many.

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • It is of minimal value in preparations, but can't hurt. Better to have it ... sort of thing.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • No, it is a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Having rifles is a good idea, but the SHTF rifle concept is simply a mental exercise.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • (burp!) Duh Lizard Aliens Я among us. Defend ur domestic beer 'n Har-Pernts! Reptilians! (shart!)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I've been living in a wallspace ...

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
So, I had older Youtube content playing in the background while working on things, and there was a question to In Range TV concerning, evidently, comments made by one of hosts about caliber selection for a SHTF rifle. He gave his thoughts and the cohost agreed, but characterized the whole notion as little more than an intellectual exercise. The short clip may be seen here.

What say you?

Voted high middle.

The answer is situational in my case, and I suspect will be for others as well.
If I'm home when the feces hits, it's a non issue. Even if I lost everything in a fire ,my neighbors have more rifles than dependents. However, if I'm on a vacation that involved a plane ride, my rifle choices literally are moot.

Too much of the 5.56 vs. .308 debate. Too far down the caliber requirement rabbit hole. Too much over-thinking.

"Little more than intellectual exercise?" Nope. Only if one doesn't believe that the S will ever HTF.

But presuming the S does HTF, one will most assuredly require a long gun.

I do think it's a simpler concept than many believe though -- I think that for all practical purposes, one truly only requires a rifle that handles easily (shorter barrel, probably carbine length, 18" or less), has good sights (readily acquired, aperture or red dot), is capable of holding a decent number of rounds (onboard or in a tubular or detachable magazine, so at least a lever-action with a reasonable capacity) and most importantly, one must have mastered the operating system and be comfortable using it, and capable of getting multiple rounds downrange quickly.

So depending on one's skill-set, anything from a Marlin 336 in .30-30 to an M-4 to an SA SOCOM-16...

I have a layered approach to SHTF firearms.

If a SHTF scenario (there are many, from having a heart attack to the Zombie Apocalypse) required the use of firearms, then I would usually have a sidearm on my person (like some do today - i.e., EDC, but I rarely do). I would usually have a rifle within reach (i.e., not more than maybe 10 yards away).

Extending that layered approach, if I was doing everyday chores and did not anticipate imminent armed threats, the Five Seven and PS90 would be what I would be using. I would probably also have this if I were traveling. The idea would be that I want something light, with high capacity of ammo, for the unlikely but possible risk of armed threats.

If attacked or anticipating an attack, I would fall back to cover, using the 5.7 guns to defend myself until I got to where heavier defensive weapons were kept. Those "heavier" weapons would be 9mm/.40/.45 and 5.56/7.62x39/7.62x51. And yes, I have sufficient defensive weapons and ammo in each caliber - for diversity.

My vote was "Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts."

But some people would say given the expense and layered approach, I maybe went nuts. Overboard? Maybe. Especially considering I probably wouldn't last very long in a firefight (especially against any kind of military).

Intellectual exercise? Hardly. Anyone who would say that hasn't been paying attention IMO - and yes, I know that is a prepper's trope, but then I am a prepper.

Having a rifle is a must imo, however the debate about caliber, type, length, etc. is mental masturbation. If there really is a societal collapse of any type, your main issues are going to be water, food, heat, power, and other mainstays of life.
Yes, you may need to protect yourself at times, so make sure you have something, plenty of ammo and know how to use it. I think most guys in this forum have those boxes checked. Less have water, food, and fuel sorted out for a shtf scenario.

It all depends on just what S hits the fan....
And where you are when the feces flies.

Sure think about it and get a firearm that suits your needs...
But there are many other things that one needs to get and have in order to deal with the icky splatter of SHTF
Andy.

It is very important to me but with other things considered of course. Many seem to have a different idea of SHTF than I do too. I do not believe it means taking up arms against the Gov. Those who claim they are going to do this must not have watched as the country just laid down for the covid hoax.
Now what I do prep for is natural disaster that leaves us pretty much on our own for maybe a few days to even a week. Up where I live its the "great shake" we may have. If something like that happens we may be left with no real Gov help for days. Like no real Police and such. In that case a good rifle along with several other things are important to me. As I warned Wife in the lead up to the great Y2K panic. Those who have huge stock piles of food and no way to protect it will soon find their stuff just taken when they need it.

A popular author on SHTF home prep from early 80s surprised much of his mimeographed monthly newsletter, by pointing out in one of his last essays, that anything much beyond bare basics was increasing like hood of becoming a target.

My $0.02 is contemplation and preparation about SHTF is prudent, but I also think it is a way for one to have a sense of control over their life in a world which appears to be spiraling out of control.

I consider "one second after" to be a great playbook to follow and I prepare accordingly. I do not prepare for "the book of Eli" nor "mad max"

But there are many other things that one needs to get and have in order to deal with the icky splatter of SHTF
Andy.

water
shelter at a remote(ish) secure(ish) location
food
meds
security (of which guns are only a part)

If you have shelter at a location where you are much less likely to need to use guns, then you are ahead of someone who is in the middle of chaos and needs guns every second of the day, but having guns/ammo is better than not having guns/ammo.

If you are prepping at all then you are by definition expecting at least shortages on store shelves. At worst you're expecting roving bands of hollow eyed soccer moms in post-apocalyptic minivans foraging for their starving children. Even at the minimal level, the temptation for thieves to raid your stockpile is elevated. Home invasion becomes more likely. The fact is that a SHTF rifle is also a home defense rifle. To me, this is in the same category as a fire extinguisher. You may never need it, but having it can be life saving.

Having a rifle is a good idea. Especially being that a large part of American homes have one, and not all of those that have them are truly good people.

I don't think much on SHTF. I enjoy reading books of that genre, but that's about it. I have plans in place in case of emergencies, but planning for everything and always expecting something to happen is not an enjoyable way to live in my opinion.

The schit has hit the fan multiple times in my life, where the bottom had completely dropped out of everything and I needed to figure out my next move.
I have not yet needed a firearm to do that.
That said, one of the most important adages, to me, is "better to have it and not need it, than the other way around". If the crap hits the rotor and you don't have one, it's too late to get one. Having a rifle of a common caliber is a good idea.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top