JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the SHTF rifle(s) a serious concern, simply an intellectual exercise, or something else?

• Yes, it is the number one concern when preparing.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • It is a major concern, but only one of many.

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • It is of minimal value in preparations, but can't hurt. Better to have it ... sort of thing.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • No, it is a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Having rifles is a good idea, but the SHTF rifle concept is simply a mental exercise.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • (burp!) Duh Lizard Aliens Я among us. Defend ur domestic beer 'n Har-Pernts! Reptilians! (shart!)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I've been living in a wallspace ...

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I have a few rifles and shotguns in common calibers, just in case there is ever temporary trouble in my local area. And it is definitely fun to nerd-out on what would make the perfect rifle for all considerations. But I'm afraid that like others here have said, all small arms cover a very thin bandwidth of what we may need in the next SHTF.

And to be honest, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of shooting at my fellow Americans over scraps. If possible, I'd rather be trying to make more friends than enemies.

I would include foreign invasion in the category of "SHTF" and if I am shooting at an adversary I would want my rifle to be sufficient, even advantageous in use, if possible.

People in Ukraine would probably agree that having a sufficient rifle is important.

Choosing a capable rifle isn't rocket surgery.
"Capable" is the key term here. I don't think the caliber matters nearly as much as the ability to obtain ammo (or have plenty stored) and your own comfort using it. I guess it may depend on if you are considering your own survival or open warfare as the SHTF scenario. I'm considering my own survival. Hunting and protecting my stuff and family. I'm not planning on going out in a militia to obtain control of a region or the nation. But then, I'm a woman, so I have a different perspective than most of you guys.

A dozen assorted hand guns, only two rifles. A 556 ar carbine, pretty basic example, and an M1a "loaded" pretty dressed up with scope and brake. Need a 12 gauge. In a shtf scenario rifles and shotguns would be primary, handguns more of a last ditch alternative.
The M1a is more for defensive emplacement type use. At 12 plus pounds I am not going to be running around with it. The AR is more suited to assaulty type situations. At half the M1a weight it's just right.

A dozen assorted hand guns, only two rifles. A 556 ar carbine, pretty basic example, and an M1a "loaded" pretty dressed up with scope and brake. Need a 12 gauge. In a shtf scenario rifles and shotguns would be primary, handguns more of a last ditch alternative.
The M1a is more for defensive emplacement type use. At 12 plus pounds I am not going to be running around with it. The AR is more suited to assaulty type situations. At half the M1a weight it's just right.
I think ideally a .22LR would be helpful also. They are pretty quiet and good for rabbit/squirrel shooting. Plus, they are inexpensive.

Something to consider with your SHTF rifle or whatever other SHTF items you have is :

It ain't so much a matter of what they are...its more of just what you can actually do with them.

Also worthy of note is :
Don't limit your SHTF thinking to what I have and what I wish I had.
Work with what you have and make what you have work for the situation that you are in.
Andy

Last Edited:
And to be honest, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of shooting at my fellow Americans over scraps. If possible, I'd rather be trying to make more friends than enemies.
It won't be over "scraps". If someone comes shooting at you during SHTF, it will be to kill you & your family (or worse) and then to take whatever you have. Hell, in some places, that is what they are doing now.

The difference between now and a SHTF scenario where you need to use a rifle, will be the number of people coming, how well armed they will be, how determined they are, the distances involved and the fact that there will be no rule of law.

Back when Oregon wasn't so crowded my dad was killed in an auto accident and left the family pretty hungry. Thank God the neighbors loaned a car and rifle to my oldest brother to poach deer to feed us.

SHTF happens every day.

As with any defense tool, having a solid, reliable rifle seems like common sense. Debates about caliber, length, etc. seems very secondary. Having at least a couple K rounds for said rifle also seems like common sense.

I have a layered approach to SHTF firearms.

If a SHTF scenario (there are many, from having a heart attack to the Zombie Apocalypse) required the use of firearms, then I would usually have a sidearm on my person (like some do today - i.e., EDC, but I rarely do). I would usually have a rifle within reach (i.e., not more than maybe 10 yards away).

Extending that layered approach, if I was doing everyday chores and did not anticipate imminent armed threats, the Five Seven and PS90 would be what I would be using. I would probably also have this if I were traveling. The idea would be that I want something light, with high capacity of ammo, for the unlikely but possible risk of armed threats.

If attacked or anticipating an attack, I would fall back to cover, using the 5.7 guns to defend myself until I got to where heavier defensive weapons were kept. Those "heavier" weapons would be 9mm/.40/.45 and 5.56/7.62x39/7.62x51. And yes, I have sufficient defensive weapons and ammo in each caliber - for diversity.

My vote was "Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts."

But some people would say given the expense and layered approach, I maybe went nuts. Overboard? Maybe. Especially considering I probably wouldn't last very long in a firefight (especially against any kind of military).

Intellectual exercise? Hardly. Anyone who would say that hasn't been paying attention IMO - and yes, I know that is a prepper's trope, but then I am a prepper.
Interesting and food for thought. Good post!

No one answer was most right to me.
Having a decent rifle is a important and should have some thought and money. But SHTF is more mental exercise in general so you don't need to go crazy.

If you are prepping at all then you are by definition expecting at least shortages on store shelves. At worst you're expecting roving bands of hollow eyed soccer moms in post-apocalyptic minivans foraging for their starving children. Even at the minimal level, the temptation for thieves to raid your stockpile is elevated. Home invasion becomes more likely. The fact is that a SHTF rifle is also a home defense rifle. To me, this is in the same category as a fire extinguisher. You may never need it, but having it can be life saving.
Set them hollow-eyed soccer moms out to me! I'll be havin sumpin for 'em...:D

Last Edited:
As with any defense tool, having a solid, reliable rifle seems like common sense. Debates about caliber, length, etc. seems very secondary. Having at least a couple K rounds for said rifle also seems like common sense.
I'm not lacking in modern personal firearms... for some odd reason tho, my thoughts often turn to my Mauser collection of excellent (former) military rifles. Just something about the 7.92x57 cartridge and the bolt rifles it was made for.. got a nice 2x7 scope that would look good on a bolt rifle. Must be what my Dad called my "romantic streak"... Still, an M4gery or Chinese AK would probably be of more use for various reasons... If it comes to using any of those I will have lost already- but God willing I will defend my home and family if needs must. As would we all.

Well since you asked....
Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts.

So.... Not everyone is equipped to be competent with a gun. Not speaking for myself, of course... or youze guys. Just saying that some folks are good at prepping, first aid, scrounging, gardening and stockpiling and that's ok. Some folks just never had the inclination to learn about guns but they may have other valuable skills when it comes to SHTF. Gun owners aren't the only ones trying to survive. When the SHTF, we will may all need each other.

Last Edited:
To me a SHTF rifle should be a jack of all trades, able to be used for hunting as well as defense. It needs to be accurate and powerful enough to kill at longer ranges, but compact and maneuverable enough to use for CQB. It should have a generous magazine capacity, be reliable, easy to repair if broken or damaged, and light enough to carry for extended periods of time. Common caliber and parts are also important.

The above is my interpretation, but everyone has different needs and expectations. Going through the mental exercise is a critical part of each person's preparedness efforts, and everyone will have different answers based on their unique circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top