JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not required where I live (used to be) but, what's the harm to show it addition to all your other stuff, D.L., when stopped etc.?

I too am one who hasn't been stopped by L.E. in decades and decades...but then, I drive the speed limit, use turn signals, etc.

Works for me...

I have seen vids of cops coming absolutely unglued when they find out a guy has exited the vehicle, on request, with a gun on him and not told the cop. It wasn't a good result and not a good experience for the CPL holder even tho he was legally in the right. YMMV. <shrug>

This was in Idaho, not Washington, but a number of years ago, I was involved in a motorcycle accident, it was raining heavily, & I hit a patch of oil, & found myself sliding down Hwy 95 on my back. I was fully geared, & walked away with just a bruise on my hip, but the bike hit a fence post & was a total loss. The officer who investigated had me sit in his car (in the back, of course), due to the rain, & I heard the report on me come back to him on the radio. They clearly told him I had a concealed carry permit, the only thing he did was ask me if I was carrying at that time, to which I replied yes. Nothing more was said about it. He finished his report, & a friend came & picked me & the remains of my bike up.

Only thing that "bothered me" was I would swear this little rosy cheeked girl was no way old enough to drink. I thought, damn I must be getting old.

I hear you. I talk to a lot of doctors for my job, and they all seem really really young. I wanted to call the last one 'son', because he reminded me of my kid. :eek:

It really depends on where in the State I am. I would love to believe that the Officer is above board and not an a-hole. I would rather not give them an excuse to give me a bad time. Hands on the wheel until told otherwise. I believe that in Oregon there is a law that prohibits them from even asking if you are armed.

In the old days, I would have told the Officer that I was armed and where the weapon was, Things have changed in the last few decades and some police are not as friendly as they once were. I understand that their job is getting more dangerous every day, but I have heard some discouraging stories. I don't want my weapon tossed in the gravel or dismantled and thrown back at me. In order of trust - sheriffs, state police, small city, large city.

For questions like this, I always ask my retired sheriff's deputy. He says to give them your driver's license and registration when requested. Keep your hands on the steering wheel unless asked to do something by the officer. Mentioning firearms (using any word for them) will only bump up the tension of the encounter. The officer(s) may or may not already know you have a CPL. If they're concerned, they will ask you if you're carrying, and often where the firearm is located. At that point, they might also ask if you have a valid CPL, and to show it. But keep those hands on the wheel until asked, and then tell the officer(s) what you're going to do (for example, "I'm going to reach into my pocket for my wallet to get the CPL out.") before you make a move. Of course, my friend's best advice is to drive legally and not get pulled over in the first place.

It may not be required (it's not in OR), but it's probably a good idea to show your card. They WILL find out you have one when they run you on the computer.

The first time I was pulled over after getting my permit (about 15 years ago) I had no idea it would be an issue so I didn't say anything. The cop came back after running my license and had a real ATTITUDE that he wasn't told. So I called the Sheriff's office later and asked "What's up with that?" They told me they like to be informed.

Now if I get puled over I don't say anything (I've heard the last thing you want to say to a cop is "I've got a gun.") I just hand over my drivers license and my permit together. The few times it has happened they have politely asked me if I have a gun and where it is. Then they hand back my permit and go about their business.

So I would say it's a good idea to let them know you've got a permit, whether or not you are carrying at the time, if you want to avoid friction with the officer.

It may not be required (it's not in OR), but it's probably a good idea to show your card. They WILL find out you have one when they run you on the computer.

Now if I get puled over I don't say anything (I've heard the last thing you want to say to a cop is "I've got a gun.") I just hand over my drivers license and my permit together. The few times it has happened they have politely asked me if I have a gun and where it is. Then they hand back my permit and go about their business.

So I would say it's a good idea to let them know you've got a permit, whether or not you are carrying at the time, if you want to avoid friction with the officer.

This is why I have the permit in hand with the license. Have not been stopped in decades. Have had iterations like at a breakdown. I have the permit in hand so if asked the LEO gets both. Rather than say gun, firearm, or any other word for such. As soon as they see the permit (CPL here) they will know. Last interaction Trooper just waved off the stuff I had in hand. I assume she had already run my tags. figure the permit handed over is better that saying any word for gun until after they ask if they do.

I have no idea why anyone would volunteer any information about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the traffic stop.

For me its respect and making there job easier. I had the opportunity to talk to a LEO in depth one day and he told me that it is not required but himself and all the other officers he knows appreciate the notice. They aren't worried about someone willing to say something its the ones that don't that can be the surprise.

Not saying that ones that don't are bad its just what he said.

Appreciate whatever you want but for me its name, rank and serial number. They'll have to work for any other information that doesnt have anything to do with a traffic stop. Yes, I am inferring that the LEO can kiss my @ss...officer.

I don't know about in Washington, but in Oregon as soon as they run your driver's license, they know. I've even heard it, among other information she was reading to him, come over the radio when I was stopped some years back. (I came to a rolling stop, instead of a complete stop, at a railroad crossing in the middle of no where. I was just given a verbal warning.) I, personally, wouldn't volunteer the information, but it is kind of a moot point if they know right after you hand them your driver's license and proof of insurance.

Appreciate whatever you want but for me its name, rank and serial number. They'll have to work for any other information that doesnt have anything to do with a traffic stop. Yes, I am inferring that the LEO can kiss my @ss...officer.

And that my friend is why I love this forum. Different opinions but still a good conversation.

I typically think that LEOs are 'good' people and varied just like our community...Some of them would probably like to know you have a CPL (WA ST) and some of them don't, so it seems its up to you. Some of them might be put at ease that you offer you have a firearm and some might question why you needed to tell them that and be put on higher alert. Again, choice and differences...America. My preference is to not offer and fully comply...seems like a potential can of worms I don't need to open, but will gladly do so if requested.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top