JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was asked to hand over firearm for officer safety immeadiatly upon voluntrarily presenting a permit. I will not give that courtesy again...

I don't know about required by law, but I think it shows good faith on your end. I was pulled over, have the state cop my license and permit, telling him the bag he thinks there's drugs in has a gun in it. I drove a 3 color truck with plastic in the windows, so I can understand. He just said not to touch it and came back with my ticket (grrr). I would think that we're I not polite and forthcoming things could have been iffy. YMMV.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Why would you invite more attention and potential hassle for yourself when you don't have to? Some of you have this weird sense it's going to make the stop easy on you, not one bit. You might get a high strung officer and end up in handcuffs on the side of the road while he is unloading your pistol.

At least in Oregon, an officer will know if the reg owner has a CHL. If there is an issue the officer will approach the car with caution and or ask if you are carrying, usually they don't. There is something about telling an officer you have a gun, at that point it doesn't matter if you have a CHL, they go into high alert and depending on the officer may result in them asking where the gun is, that you keep your hands on the steer wheel and do not move. Or a high strung officer might take a more aggressive stance, be ready to draw, and will go out of his way to hassle and disarm you.

The same mantra applies regardless if you are guilty or innocent, keep your mouth shut. Yeah, there are good cops, but there are also bad cops.

In my younger and dumber years, I was pulled over a few times. Never was I asked if I had a gun and never did I volunteer I had one. And never was it an issue. However, a friend of mine was pulled over and volunteered he had a CHL and was carrying. He ended up on the pavement of Hwy 26 in handcuffs while Farva of portland pd unloaded his mag.

Only thing that "bothered me" was I would swear this little rosy cheeked girl was no way old enough to drink. I thought, damn I must be getting old. Swear the woman looked like she was maybe just old enough to drive. :eek::eek:

What gets me is my cardiologist looks like she just got out of high school. I know she didn't start medical school at age 11 so I must really be getting old.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top