JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have family in law enforcement.
And they all say the same thing .
THE GUY OR GIRL THAT TELLS THEM THEY HAVE A FIREARM.are not the one that SCARES them

IT'S THE ONE THAT DOESN'T TELL THEM.

"When they walk up to the window you can show some respect, or a chip on your shoulder."

Being respectful and courteous...absolutely! Not announcing that you are carrying however is far different than having a chip on your shoulder. The couple times that I've been asked I've responded truthfully. 'Twas no big deal.
My business is my business.

I would not "think" having a chip on the shoulder attitude needed to be explained but, maybe it does. When I was a kid you got mouthy with an LEO they would slap you down. If you were stupid enough to fight, well it did not go well. Never happened to me, I was smart enough to know not to. Flash forward now many feel it's their "free speech right" to act like fools and run their mouth to the Cop. In most places they are correct, you can do that and get away with it. If it makes them "feel better" that they did this? Well why not. Most Cops well walk off laughing as the one who exercised that free speech also gets to pay a nice fat fine. So if the running the mouth is worth the fine? Hey great, more money in the coffers of the city or state. When young and wild I did get pulled over a few times for blatant violations. I was still smart enough to keep a respectful tone. Amazing some of the stuff I was allowed to walk on due to it. All choices. Adults get to make choices every day. Many of them love to make poor ones then blame everyone else for the pain they cause themselves. <shrug>

I would not "think" having a chip on the shoulder attitude needed to be explained but, maybe it does. When I was a kid you got mouthy with an LEO they would slap you down. If you were stupid enough to fight, well it did not go well. Never happened to me, I was smart enough to know not to. Flash forward now many feel it's their "free speech right" to act like fools and run their mouth to the Cop. In most places they are correct, you can do that and get away with it. If it makes them "feel better" that they did this? Well why not. Most Cops well walk off laughing as the one who exercised that free speech also gets to pay a nice fat fine. So if the running the mouth is worth the fine? Hey great, more money in the coffers of the city or state. When young and wild I did get pulled over a few times for blatant violations. I was still smart enough to keep a respectful tone. Amazing some of the stuff I was allowed to walk on due to it. All choices. Adults get to make choices every day. Many of them love to make poor ones then blame everyone else for the pain they cause themselves. <shrug>
I was always told.
YES OR NO SIR OR MA'AM.
THANK YOU . EVEN IF THEY GAVE ME A TICKET.
the side of the road is not the place to ague .
Save it for the court house.

A few months ago I got pulled over for speeding north of Spokane . going to COLEVILE Washington.
Little town called CHEWILLA.
THE COP walks up to side of the truck right side I get up open the door .
Give him what he asked for.
Driver license med card yes sir no sir .bla bla bla
He goes back to his car comes back a few minutes later .
I stopped you for speeding.
Yes sir I know .
He says you where 10 over yes sir I know.
He says I ran your information.
You have a clean record.
I'm not going to mess it up for this.just slow it down in town .
I say thank you sir.
He say have a good day .
I say you too be safe and OFF I GO.
EASY AS THAT

Thought about a career in law enforcement when I was very young.
Went on a LOT of ride a longs. Figured out that Cops aren't paid NEARLY enough for the sh** they tolerate.
I respect the men and women who put on the uniform and put their a**es on the line daily.

i understood exactly what you meant by a "chip on your shoulder".
I only meant there are more than just two options. I learned way back in my teen years that it's stupid to be anything but respectful when a cop comes to your window. My kids heard it and took the lesson to heart. It's not only the right thing to do, but in the end it also very much behooves you to act with respect (in almost every situation)
But that has zero to do with whether or not I share with the officer whether I am carrying or not. My business is my business. He can ask and I will tell him. As stated, he most likely already knows, just as he knows That I am not a fugitive, and that the car is not stolen.
Just my two Shekels.

Last Edited:
Thought about a career in law enforcement when I was very young.
Went on a LOT of ride a longs. Figured out that Cops aren't paid NEARLY enough for the sh** they tolerate.
I respect the men and women who put on the uniform and put their a**es on the line daily.

Its a job. No one makes them do it. They are free to explore other lines of work any time they like if the pay or respect they get from the public isnt up to what they expect for the conditions of the job.

If I get pulled over they get my drivers license, registration and insurance. If they ask if I know why they pulled me over I tell them because that's their job. That is about the end of the conversation. Then I get a ticket and call my lawyer.

I agree with wired on the police job thing. Officers apply and sign up for the job they elect to do in life. They are not drafted as in the military in time of war. On the same note I do appreciate and respect what they do. Ive pesonally known quite a few log fallers who get killed "doing thier job" and you hardly hear about it except at the time it happens, even though they are putting thier lives on line to get logs to the SawMills to make lumber for the homes we all live in.

Also in WA State as previously stated, you do NOT have to volunteer any info saying you are carrying concealed or that you have a cpl permit. But, once an officer asks you if you have either a weapon or permit, or both, then at that point you ARE required by law to tell them. I personally tell any officer when they walk up to initially talk with me that im.carrying and have a permit, and where the gun is located in my person, because if you tell them.before they have to ask it puts them at ease, and things usually go a lot better doing that. I also have family in law enforcement who are deputies, jail control room operators, and one who is a judge.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I have never been questioned on a traffic stop in WA about whether I had a firearm and I have never volunteered the info. If asked I would be completely honest and produce the proper creds though. Never has been a problem. On the water I have been asked, and the first time (many years ago) with the CG, it turned into a major CF. They couldn't find my Sig despite my very concise direction. They finally allowed me to go forward and point out the butt of my Sig, but the kid still couldn't seem to extract it from it's spot. They finally allowed me grab it by the butt and produce it for them. Now the kid has it in his hot hands and is attempting to unload it, not seeming to know how and also not using good muzzle discipline. I started to lose my cool a bit at this point and told him to go over to his boat and unload it or hand it over to me to unload safely. He indignantly went over to his vessel and finished the task. Now that the weapon was secured I got the full Monty inspection with the kid obviously getting a training excercise. I was forthcoming but business like as my patience was wearing a bit thin. After all this and an hour and a half later I was handed a boarding report with no violations and my unloaded sig, the round from the pipe and magazine. They jumped off my boat and said see you next time. Not a thank you for your patience or a sorry for the extended time it took, nothing. I got over it, but right or wrong, for the next 15 years or so, when I was boarded on the water and asked about firearms, I said no sir. On the flip side 5 years ago I was running around the Islands in my Center console with a glock on my hip when accosted by homeland security. They asked if I was armed and I kind of looked down and saw my float coat had rode up a bit and the bottom of holster was showing. So of course I said yes and I asked if they wanted to disarm me to which they said no. They just instructed me to keep my hands away from it. They looked at my DL, aked me a few questions about what I was doing and then we B.S.ed for about 5 minutes. They said have a great day and cast off. Couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes total and they were cool cats to boot. Based on that encounter I have went back to being completely honest about my state of armament. Another particular occaison not long ago I was boarded by the CG while halibut fishing. They asked about firearms and I told them I had a pistol and a single shot .410 shotgun for dispatching halibut. They went to them and asked if they were loaded to which I said the pistol was but the .410 was not. The younger of the two officers had the .410 and figured out how to open it and check but then asked me if there were any shells in the magazine. :s0114:

For me, to tell or not to tell LEO's if I'm carrying, depends on where I am (gun friendly or anti gun areas).

Last year, I got pulled over around the Seattle area for speeding. I was carrying at the time and since I was in an area that was presided over by an anti gun sheriff (Johanknecht) and an anti gun police chief (Best), I decided it was best not to let them know that fact (they didn't ask, I didn't tell). As often times, the anti gun sentiment of the top brass and city/county council trickles down to the street officers. I was polite, got my ticket and was on my way. Had the same thing happened in Yelm, Tenino or Centralia, I would have let them know and handed them my permit.

I know that there are pro gun cops in anti gun areas, but having seen first hand how legal carriers were treated in the PDRK (handcuffed on the side of the road, gun taken by LEO, magazine unloaded and car searched. Staying this way until they confirmed the CCW was valid, the gun registered and the ticket was written), I'll keep my mouth shut and try to avoid that hassle, as there really isn't much difference between the anti gun attitudes in Seattle and the PDRK.

Ray

Last Edited:
To me respect goes a long way. The last Local leo that I showed that to was a couple of years ago. I happened to be in a bar one night about four months later and the waitress brought me a beer. I told her that I didn't order that. She smiled and said its from the gentleman in the corner. It was that cop who bought me a beer.

That was just a "thank you" for doing so well on that "roadside arrangement" you worked out to help him forget all about the traffic infraction.... o_O

;):D:s0140:

No.
I just asked yesterday at DMV if a trooper could tell from from DL that I had a CPL.
They said no, WA is a "right to privacy" state.
It is my understanding when the trooper calls your plate in if he stops you he gets the info back that you have a conceal permit. I was stopped about 8 years ago for speeding... I was guilty. When the trooper came up to my truck I told him I was carrying on my right hip.. His reply was "well don't shoot me", took my license and insurance and wrote me a ticket. He was not a smart aleck. He was polite and professional.

I think your mistaken with the time you got pulled over. ;)

5D9DBF91-3E53-4FF8-A3C6-408270A3642B.gif

Been pulled over probably more then my share during my life (very few tickets though), once 13 times in one night with no tickets but that's off topic, and I have never ever been asked about my CC or permit.

I roll down all windows, keys go on the dash, interior lights go on and my wrists go on 12 o'clock on the steering wheel.

I answer questions and only go for information once they ask for it.

IF a gun was near my info then I would say something before moving but I make sure that's never the case.

The above seems to work along with common curtasy cuz I've been pulled over from 15 over the limit to expired tags by 6 months and have had very few traffic tickets issued. (Knock on wood).

I've slowed down some as I've aged but sometimes ya just got to pass a Prius...;)

As I understand the law, Washington is not a Must Notify state, however, if asked you must respond truthfully (unless your answer could be "used against you" in a court of law i.e. 5th Amendment, then you choose to remain silent).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads