JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will have to agree to disagree about bar carry. On rare occasion my wife likes to go to a pub. I do not drink alcohol - at all. Damn sure I carry. I carry everywhere, every day, sign or no sign. If there's no-guns signs AND metal detectors I can't bypass, I don't need to enter the place.

And for the record, I've had to pick customers up at dispensaries before, and have yet to see a no-weapons sign of any sort. Only signage I recall seeing are warning patrons that they must be 21 to enter the facility.

Businesses that deal in cash-only transactions would be functionally retarded NOT to have an armed guard on duty - federal law be damned. That's a law that needs challenged anyway and will likely be changed sooner rather than later. The trend to legalize the stuff is growing, and people are getting tired of federal, state, and county overreach even if it is slow.

Something I don't think I've seen mentioned here:
There are similar legal issues with being involved in a defensive shooting while having any level of BAC, as there is with being involved in a car crash (fault or non-fault) with having any level of BAC. A question to ask yourself, potentially, and which I pose as a question for exploration and not a rule or suggestion, is if you would drive with a given BAC, what is the issue with carrying? Certainly your odds of being involved in a car crash are radically higher than being involved in a shooting of any sort.

Now for a position that I hold with stronger conviction:
Just because you're drinking, smoking pot, or whatever you do, whether or not you're intoxicated, your right to self-defense is not contingent on your being sober. If you are drunk out of your mind and someone attacks you in that "life-threatening way," you have the right to defend yourself with whatever means at your disposal. Sobriety is not a prerequisite for self-defense. Of course, legal action could still be attempted against you, but surely that is better than the alternative of being dead/maimed, or otherwise injured.

I support personal responsibility as a whole. Want to carry in a bar and drink? Fine, I really don't care, but you need to be willing to accept the consequences, both the good and the bad, of potentially doing so. When you think about it, this taking the good with the bad, is no different than anything else we do.

In Oregon you need a Concealed Handgun License to carry concealed. It is NOT against the law to carry into any place that sells alcohol. IF the establishment has posted a sign stating the guns are not welcome, and you are careless enough to be 'discovered' to have a pistol on you, and you are asked to leave, then you must leave or face trespass charges(at least).

Something I don't think I've seen mentioned here:
There are similar legal issues with being involved in a defensive shooting while having any level of BAC, as there is with being involved in a car crash (fault or non-fault) with having any level of BAC. A question to ask yourself, potentially, and which I pose as a question for exploration and not a rule or suggestion, is if you would drive with a given BAC, what is the issue with carrying? Certainly your odds of being involved in a car crash are radically higher than being involved in a shooting of any sort.

Now for a position that I hold with stronger conviction:
Just because you're drinking, smoking pot, or whatever you do, whether or not you're intoxicated, your right to self-defense is not contingent on your being sober. If you are drunk out of your mind and someone attacks you in that "life-threatening way," you have the right to defend yourself with whatever means at your disposal. Sobriety is not a prerequisite for self-defense. Of course, legal action could still be attempted against you, but surely that is better than the alternative of being dead/maimed, or otherwise injured.

I support personal responsibility as a whole. Want to carry in a bar and drink? Fine, I really don't care, but you need to be willing to accept the consequences, both the good and the bad, of potentially doing so. When you think about it, this taking the good with the bad, is no different than anything else we do.

this is pretty much how I feel on the subject. As to the question for exploration I don't think comparing lawful drinking and CCW to lawful drinking and driving is fair because concealed "carrying" doesn't operate or even handle the gun at all (or your doing it wrong) is not the same as driving (operating and handling something)... and also your correct sobriety is not a prerequisite for self-defence.

Ultimately gun rights is about personal responsibility and accountability. If we start legislating personal responsibility in bars it doesn't work and opens the door to other infringements (safe storage laws, gun free schools and campuses...), where do you draw the line with new laws? Whenever this subject comes up many people are adamant about supporting laws prohibiting carry in bars etc. but then will also go out and have a couple and drive home... because well you know a couple will not get you drunk (not necessarily...) and your confident your under .08 BAC... so why not also carry? After all your comfortable operating a car after 2, but carrying doesn't handle the gun at all.

to clarify, I'm not suggesting its ok to "drinking" and carrying. I'm suggesting to be responsible and accountable. If you want to tie one down, leave it at home. If your lawfully drinking and driving (under .08) then just be responsible, like always. I don't have a problem with someone carrying who also enjoys a drink responsibly.

My understanding is if there is no "no Weapons/firearms allowed" sign posted outside or inside you are good to go. Same goes for reciprocating states.
reciprocating states have their own laws that you must follow. Montana honors Oregon CHLs but prohibits carry in bars. Other states allow carrying in bars but also make no guns signs lawful notice.

this is pretty much how I feel on the subject. As to the question for exploration I don't think comparing lawful drinking and CCW to lawful drinking and driving is fair because concealed "carrying" doesn't operate or even handle the gun at all (or your doing it wrong) is not the same as driving (operating and handling something)... and also your correct sobriety is not a prerequisite for self-defence.

Ultimately gun rights is about personal responsibility and accountability. If we start legislating personal responsibility in bars it doesn't work and opens the door to other infringements (safe storage laws, gun free schools and campuses...), where do you draw the line with new laws? Whenever this subject comes up many people are adamant about supporting laws prohibiting carry in bars etc. but then will also go out and have a couple and drive home... because well you know a couple will not get you drunk (not necessarily...) and your confident your under .08 BAC... so why not also carry? After all your comfortable operating a car after 2, but carrying doesn't handle the gun at all.

to clarify, I'm not suggesting its ok to "drinking" and carrying. I'm suggesting to be responsible and accountable. If you want to tie one down, leave it at home. If your lawfully drinking and driving (under .08) then just be responsible, like always. I don't have a problem with someone carrying who also enjoys a drink responsibly.

That's very fair, it definitely seems that we're in agreement. Thanks for taking note of my posing a question for "exploration." Most people don't seem to take note of that when I phrase things in such a way.

The fear (though misguided) that those against drinking and carrying at all usually have is that the presence of a gun, plus the even slightly-decreased inhibitions of alcohol, will lead to a higher likelihood of using that gun. Obviously such a stance is silly, except in the case when you have a friend named Dmitri who is always trying to fight people at the bar, and then suddenly wants to carry...

Obviously such a stance is silly, except in the case when you have a friend named Dmitri who is always trying to fight people at the bar, and then suddenly wants to carry...
I wonder what the percentage of individuals that are always trying to fight people at the bar take the time to acquire a permit to legally carry? My guess is long before he decides he would like to carry, he already has a record that prohibits him from carrying. The thing about personal responsibility is it tends to work itself out regardless of the direction one approaches it from. That's why shootings in bars are no more, or less frequent in states like Oregon where is still legal to carry in bars than other states where its illegal to carry in bars, like Washington. The net result of legislating responsibility with guns and alcohol is really just another gun free zone... and well, we can see how well that's working out.

I would say we are in agreement.

I wonder what the percentage of individuals that are always trying to fight people at the bar take the time to acquire a permit to legally carry? My guess is long before he decides he would like to carry, he already has a record that prohibits him from carrying. The thing about personal responsibility is it tends to work itself out regardless of the direction one approaches it from. That's why shootings in bars are no more, or less frequent in states like Oregon where is still legal to carry in bars than other states where its illegal to carry in bars, like Washington. The net result of legislating responsibility with guns and alcohol is really just another gun free zone... and well, we can see how well that's working out.

I would say we are in agreement.

Precisely.

I only found out that WA prohibits CCW in bars after being here for a couple of years, and carrying to any number of bars throughout the state.

Never an issue in OR and no one ever said anything, I dont think I saw it at all in the process of getting my WA CHL.

The problem for me is not so much that I drink... because I dont when I go out.... like Im going to pay $5 for a beer... come on. However, my wife and I like to hit happy hour whenever possible to eat.
Whats frustrating is going to places like Red Robin, where I can be in one part of the building and I am fine, I presume even if Im drinking..... but I cannot go into the bar proper legally and NOT drink. Sucks when there is a 30 minute wait and open spots at the bar.

We all know that booze and guns rarely mix well. BUT, how many incidents have we had in Oregon where a chl holder has acted inappropriately in a bar?

Much like the guns in schools thing. Its allowed in OR and has never been a problem.... but in WA I cant even carry a knife into the school.
My sons Cub Scout pack meets at a school here and they had to earn their whittling chip using a plastic butter knife because we couldnt have the real thing in the school.

Its incredibly silly. No chance of using Oregon as an example to get gun laws changed up here.

Regarding places NOT to carry, add cannabis dispensaries. Medical or recreational. That is actually a federal NO-NO.
Keep in mind cannabis use is a complete no-no, it will get your CHL jerked in a heart beat, at least here in OR, and every other state if I'm not mistaken.
Gabby

Last Edited:
We all know that booze and guns rarely mix well. BUT, how many incidents have we had in Oregon where a chl holder has acted inappropriately in a bar?

none.

your entire post actuall is an example of how infringing ccw laws are, including places that serve alcohol.

For as rabidly anti-gun and nonsensical as Oregon is... Youve got it good with your ccw rules.

For a guy with school aged kids & likes bar food but not drinking.... WA sucks

we have it good for now... they keep chipping away at our rights.
the gun free school zone is another subject that really scares me. The govt has left our most vulnerable exposed to harm, fails miserable to protect them then creates laws against being able to defend our own children. Look how effective gun free zones have been. I cant be there every school day for my children, and it scares me that teachers and staff are prohibited from carrying despite whats proven to be a preferred target for mass shootings. Then in response to them we try to pass laws allowing teachers to carry and the antis come unglued and prevent that. These people must have some kind of mental issue.

im preaching to the choir, end rant.

Short answer: Legally speaking, yes. You can CCW in bars in Oregon.

Long answer: No bar I know of allows it, and if they suspect you of carrying a weapon you are subject to pat down or removal from the premises. Signs mean nothing, they do not have force of law. Someone must ask you to leave before you are committing a crime.

I work contract security as an armed patrol officer, and I have a strip club in my district. If I see a patron with a firearm, they will be asked to leave. If they refuse, I will detain them for criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm (ORS 164.265), handcuff them, remove their weapon from their persons, and have the police come arrest the subject.

Don't do it, and if you do and you are asked to leave, just leave. No need to be arrested for something so stupid. I believe it's a Class C Misdemeanor.

Why would you want to? Even if you are there for hours, if you end up shooting someone, you will be in deep poo. Just because you are allowed to, or its your right, doesn't mean that you should.

The owners and employees are not allowed to have ANY firearms on premise. There is NO armed security at dispensaries either, as screwed up as that is.
Security companies protecting product transports won't even be in the same vehicle as the cannabis. They are doing convoys with heavily armed lead and chase vehicles.
The cannabis industry is so new that the owners are being very cautious when it comes to the laws and regulations no matter how grey they may appear.

That's very interesting, SCARed. I'm glad I'm not in that business!

Short answer: Legally speaking, yes. You can CCW in bars in Oregon.
You could have stopped right there. I never consent to a patdown by ANYONE that isn't a sworn police officer in the performance of their duties. Concealed means concealed. I don't give one single foxtrot if a business wants me to be unarmed for them to feel safer. How did that work out in Orlando? All the nonsense about trespass aside, it is NOT a crime to carry in a bar in Oregon. Period.

Why would you want to? Even if you are there for hours, if you end up shooting someone, you will be in deep poo. Just because you are allowed to, or its your right, doesn't mean that you should.
this doesn't make sense, why would you "end up" shooting someone just because your in a bar?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top