JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I have understood, concealment holster rigs escape the "AOW" designation if the slide is exposed. such as the DeSantis example below.
In Ocarolan's linked ATF literature, the old Galco holster is shown, which completely covers a pistol like the AMT .380 Backup, (although in this example an old High Standard 2 shot derringer) thereby making it an AOW.

DeSantis:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/411553118_3.jpg

Old Galco: (out of production)
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

My Wife had bought one of those Galco ones shortly after she started to carry. Was using it for a little .22 auto. She of course did not like it. If I had known she was going to buy it I would have tried to talk her out of it. It did work and you could fire the pistol in the holster. It was just VERY hard to be accurate at all with it. It got tossed into the junk box of holsters that we both tried and did not like. Years later I heard what the BATF had done. I dug it out and put it up on Ebay. With the warning that to use it was now an AOW. People went nuts biding the damn thing. It's such a simple design any kid with a Tandy leather kit could make one in no time. Someone won it and paid. He paid me about 4 or 5 times what the Wife bought the stupid thing for which I did not understand. I figured what the hell. He was happy and I was sure happy.

If this is real and not a pipe dream or fake shot show promise I would actually enjoy owning one for very discreet conceal carry the fact that it has a little belt clip to ride along side on my belt like a phone would makes it very appealing. But since it's literally just a Derringer I probably only shell out 400 to 450 otherwise I could just get a bond arms steel brick haha

Or you could move up to an American Derringer, with the auto off spring-loaded safety,
that clicks the safety off automatically when you cock the hammer back-- so much faster
than that bond arms gun I used to have, and lighter too

Are they smaller than the Bond Arms? Felt like mine was a steel brick when I carried it.

They are more slender than the blocky Bond Arms derringers, you can likely tell just from the pictures at american derringer, unfortunately most of their products are sold directly from the manufacturer, because they refuse to carry liability insurance, so no distributor will carry their product:eek:

Last Edited:
While I seriously doubt I would have any interest in owning one of these, it's getting some interesting buzz on Facebook (the wife found it on there by accident), in large part by the rabid anti's that are freaking out over a gun that people can conceal :rolleyes: Boy, these folks get worked up big time over such little things. If they only knew how many folks around them conceal carry every day, they sure would be surprised.

But back to the pistol. It's not yet available, supposedly available later this year for $395. It's a two shot .380acp pistol that, when folded, looks like a cell phone - very similar to an iPhone. It's even equipped with a laser. Pretty much a more modern take on a Derringer.

I couldn't find any statement about this on their website (not a huge amount of info there), but some folks suggested this may be required to be classified as an "AOW" weapon. But as I read the definition, if it's got rifled barrels, it should qualify as a handgun, and therefore not require the AOW designation. Any thoughts??

Part of me is tempted to think this is a hoax - people have gone farther to commit a hoax. I can't find much info on these things so it's hard to prove one way or the other.

So, for me, it's nothing more than a curiosity, and the fact that it irritates the gun-grabbing anti's is always a huge bonus, so I guess I'll wish them luck in their endeavor.

View attachment 281007

View attachment 281008

View attachment 281009

View attachment 281010

If you're curious: Home
Not to be offensive, but is every last one of you stupid? Everything about this says "hoax". The video closeups on the web site are a cheap 3d printing, they haven't submitted samples to BATFE for classification, and even the very basics scream BS. "Marketed at NRA shows"? Abd then there is the simple math ... A thick I phone, like the 4s is .370". They claim this is chambered for the rimless .380ACP (which already makes no sense), but do the math here. .380 Max SAAMI pressure is about 21,500 PSI. What kind of wall thickness are you going to need on the chamber and barrel? Even at .125" that would add 1/4 inch to the thickness, giving you something over 5/8ths. Look at the pictures and judge for yourselves.

Not to be offensive, but is every last one of you stupid? Everything about this says "hoax". The video closeups on the web site are a cheap 3d printing, they haven't submitted samples to BATFE for classification, and even the very basics scream BS. "Marketed at NRA shows"? Abd then there is the simple math ... A thick I phone, like the 4s is .370". They claim this is chambered for the rimless .380ACP (which already makes no sense), but do the math here. .380 Max SAAMI pressure is about 21,500 PSI. What kind of wall thickness are you going to need on the chamber and barrel? Even at .125" that would add 1/4 inch to the thickness, giving you something over 5/8ths. Look at the pictures and judge for yourselves.

I have to agree with @AndyinEverson, that did come across as offensive. I've got thick skin, but come on, we're not here pushing for this or even advocating for it, it's a curiosity and we're looking to learn more. Did you actually read all of my post? My questions? My concerns? Including whether this would be an AOW?

That said, I don't recall them saying it would be "exactly the same dimensions" as an iPhone, etc. It is supposed to be a gun that looks like a phone, to make it easier to conceal. So what if it has to be a bit thicker? The owner/developer said he was developing this after getting spotted with a gun at a restaurant and wanted to avoid that in the future.

At this point, it's a novelty gun. They have been taking pre-orders since 2016 and on their Facebook page they are looking to begin production in April, distribution this summer.

I'm not sure how exhaustive your research was on this before you made the comment, but you may want to dig a little further. You may not like it, but the more I check in on this, the less like a hoax it seems.

As for your concern it can't be done, the company just posted a video only a month ago showing a prototype actually being fired:

I have to agree with @AndyinEverson, that did come across as offensive. I've got thick skin, but come on, we're not here pushing for this or even advocating for it, it's a curiosity and we're looking to learn more. Did you actually read all of my post? My questions? My concerns? Including whether this would be an AOW?

That said, I don't recall them saying it would be "exactly the same dimensions" as an iPhone, etc. It is supposed to be a gun that looks like a phone, to make it easier to conceal. So what if it has to be a bit thicker? The owner/developer said he was developing this after getting spotted with a gun at a restaurant and wanted to avoid that in the future.

At this point, it's a novelty gun. They have been taking pre-orders since 2016 and on their Facebook page they are looking to begin production in April, distribution this summer.

I'm not sure how exhaustive your research was on this before you made the comment, but you may want to dig a little further. You may not like it, but the more I check in on this, the less like a hoax it seems.

As for your concern it can't be done, the company just posted a video only a month ago showing a prototype actually being fired:

Oh, e.. you know it would be impossible for human beings to possibly engineer a device that would actually fire a .380 acp.
Come on!

Long overdue update. I've been following these folks via email updates for 2 years now. After numerous setbacks and delays, the Ideal Conceal "cell phone gun" is shipping to FFL's now.

Many thought this would never happen, much less get ATF approval, but here they are.

I still have no plans to buy one, but I am curious how many folks will buy and carry them. I'm also curious if/when these get someone in trouble. Could these last? Or be a bust like that POS USA Zip .22lr pistol?

Imagine the exploding heads of the anti's when they see these things.

Here is the announcement from the owner that they're now shipping:

While I seriously doubt I would have any interest in owning one of these, it's getting some interesting buzz on Facebook (the wife found it on there by accident), in large part by the rabid anti's that are freaking out over a gun that people can conceal :rolleyes: Boy, these folks get worked up big time over such little things. If they only knew how many folks around them conceal carry every day, they sure would be surprised.

But back to the pistol. It's not yet available, supposedly available later this year for $395. It's a two shot .380acp pistol that, when folded, looks like a cell phone - very similar to an iPhone. It's even equipped with a laser. Pretty much a more modern take on a Derringer.

I couldn't find any statement about this on their website (not a huge amount of info there), but some folks suggested this may be required to be classified as an "AOW" weapon. But as I read the definition, if it's got rifled barrels, it should qualify as a handgun, and therefore not require the AOW designation. Any thoughts??

Part of me is tempted to think this is a hoax - people have gone farther to commit a hoax. I can't find much info on these things so it's hard to prove one way or the other.

So, for me, it's nothing more than a curiosity, and the fact that it irritates the gun-grabbing anti's is always a huge bonus, so I guess I'll wish them luck in their endeavor.

View attachment 281007

View attachment 281008

View attachment 281009

View attachment 281010

If you're curious: Home

Seems impractical in comparison to a regular carry gun. Just the fact you have to unfold it seems too risky to me as a carry option.

2 shots of .380 for about $400? No thanks. I'd much prefer a shield or LCP that costs less and holds more rounds.

My view as well. A bulky, two-shot pistol, that is around the cost of other .380s, that requires reconfiguration to use? No thank you. Neat in a unique way and it could fill a niché rôle for some. I just can't see adding one to the present line-up though.

Parenthetically, I/we normally pack something bigger, but when we can't, these are carried by my beloved and I:

381503-d27630f4923ebe2d657cb5ecd32e6858.jpg

(Top is the wife's Ruger LCP Ⅱ. Bottom is my Walther PPK/S.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top