Ideal Conceal .380 Pistol - Looks Like a Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by etrain16, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

My Wife had bought one of those Galco ones shortly after she started to carry. Was using it for a little .22 auto. She of course did not like it. If I had known she was going to buy it I would have tried to talk her out of it. It did work and you could fire the pistol in the holster. It was just VERY hard to be accurate at all with it. It got tossed into the junk box of holsters that we both tried and did not like. Years later I heard what the BATF had done. I dug it out and put it up on Ebay. With the warning that to use it was now an AOW. People went nuts biding the damn thing. It's such a simple design any kid with a Tandy leather kit could make one in no time. Someone won it and paid. He paid me about 4 or 5 times what the Wife bought the stupid thing for which I did not understand. I figured what the hell. He was happy and I was sure happy.

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Or you could move up to an American Derringer, with the auto off spring-loaded safety,
    that clicks the safety off automatically when you cock the hammer back-- so much faster
    than that bond arms gun I used to have, and lighter too

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist
    Oregon
    AK's all day.

Are they smaller than the Bond Arms? Felt like mine was a steel brick when I carried it.

mjbskwim likes this.
  4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They are more slender than the blocky Bond Arms derringers, you can likely tell just from the pictures at american derringer, unfortunately most of their products are sold directly from the manufacturer, because the refuse to carry liability insurance, so no distributor will carry their product:eek:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  5. Voice_o_reason

Voice_o_reason
    Coloado

Not to be offensive, but is every last one of you stupid? Everything about this says "hoax". The video closeups on the web site are a cheap 3d printing, they haven't submitted samples to BATFE for classification, and even the very basics scream BS. "Marketed at NRA shows"? Abd then there is the simple math ... A thick I phone, like the 4s is .370". They claim this is chambered for the rimless .380ACP (which already makes no sense), but do the math here. .380 Max SAAMI pressure is about 21,500 PSI. What kind of wall thickness are you going to need on the chamber and barrel? Even at .125" that would add 1/4 inch to the thickness, giving you something over 5/8ths. Look at the pictures and judge for yourselves.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

It's a pistol, not a phone. Can you hear me now?

Alexx1401 likes this.
  7. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Calling every last one of us who replied stupid ... Is offensive.
    I think you do make some valid points ... but maybe better wording next time?
    Andy

etrain16 and Alexx1401 like this.
  8. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough
    RIP City!

2 shots of .380 for about $400? No thanks. I'd much prefer a shield or LCP that costs less and holds more rounds.

Nick Burkhardt likes this.
  9. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I have to agree with @AndyinEverson, that did come across as offensive. I've got thick skin, but come on, we're not here pushing for this or even advocating for it, it's a curiosity and we're looking to learn more. Did you actually read all of my post? My questions? My concerns? Including whether this would be an AOW?

That said, I don't recall them saying it would be "exactly the same dimensions" as an iPhone, etc. It is supposed to be a gun that looks like a phone, to make it easier to conceal. So what if it has to be a bit thicker? The owner/developer said he was developing this after getting spotted with a gun at a restaurant and wanted to avoid that in the future.

At this point, it's a novelty gun. They have been taking pre-orders since 2016 and on their Facebook page they are looking to begin production in April, distribution this summer.

I'm not sure how exhaustive your research was on this before you made the comment, but you may want to dig a little further. You may not like it, but the more I check in on this, the less like a hoax it seems.

As for your concern it can't be done, the company just posted a video only a month ago showing a prototype actually being fired:

Certaindeaf and AndyinEverson like this.
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Oh, e.. you know it would be impossible for human beings to possibly engineer a device that would actually fire a .380 acp.
    Come on!

AndyinEverson and etrain16 like this.
  11. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

True, it's practically a nuclear explosion going on in that chamber!

AndyinEverson and Certaindeaf like this.
  12. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

Long overdue update. I’ve been following these folks via email updates for 2 years now. After numerous setbacks and delays, the Ideal Conceal “cell phone gun” is shipping to FFL’s now.

Many thought this would never happen, much less get ATF approval, but here they are.

I still have no plans to buy one, but I am curious how many folks will buy and carry them. I’m also curious if/when these get someone in trouble. Could these last? Or be a bust like that POS USA Zip .22lr pistol?

Imagine the exploding heads of the anti’s when they see these things.

Here is the announcement from the owner that they’re now shipping:

usausausa, Certaindeaf and bbbass like this.
  13. 45 for me

45 for me
    Oregon

Well there you go:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778531048

Well I got 1 of 3 right. It's not a hoax, but they were years away, and bondhus arms went out of business before coming to market with the CL380.

Right now I have a Rohrbaugh 9mm for pocket carry. Depending on how much this weighs, I may consider it.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  14. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Thing looks huge in the video for a 2 shot gun.

15. SlimPickins

SlimPickins
    N. Portland

Seems impractical in comparison to a regular carry gun. Just the fact you have to unfold it seems too risky to me as a carry option.

billdeserthills likes this.
  16. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

My view as well. A bulky, two-shot pistol, that is around the cost of other .380s, that requires reconfiguration to use? No thank you. Neat in a unique way and it could fill a niché rôle for some. I just can't see adding one to the present line-up though.

Parenthetically, I/we normally pack something bigger, but when we can't, these are carried by my beloved and I:

381503-d27630f4923ebe2d657cb5ecd32e6858.jpg

(Top is the wife's Ruger LCP Ⅱ. Bottom is my Walther PPK/S.)

17. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I'd like one, just for kicks. Why not?

18. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

Can't argue with that. :)

19. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Id get one of them 380s that shoot 9mm or, better yet, 40 S&W.

etrain16 and CountryGent like this.
  20. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

It’s a novelty... Not much personal interest except for the curiosity factor.

Would much rather have a PPK/s or Astra Constable II in .380...

etrain16 and CountryGent like this.