JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, but developed by Google. Google APIs are needed to develop apps for it.

A Linux distro, like Unbuntu Touch, is completely open-source and apps can be developed by anyone.

Seems to say Android is "mobile open development platform" running a Linux kernel?

Is their info now outdated or what?

Seems to say Android is "mobile open development platform" running a Linux kernel?

Is their info now outdated or what?
No, that's correct, but it's not open source. They are also comparing Andoid to a desktop/server Linux distribution, so it's not exactly apples to oranges there.

You can develop your own app for it Android, that's how they are all made, but you must use the Android API stack, which is proprietary to Android/Google. You have to agree to specific terms (and maybe pay, I'm not sure about that) to use their API. It also has to meet certain standards to be published in the Google app store (Play).

You can't use a Linux developed app on Android, but you can use it on just about any flavor of linux. There can be subtle difference between different Linux distros, mostly in the installation packaging.

My experience has been that Pixel and Motorola have the least bloat of Android smartphones.
It takes less time to uninstall unnecessary stuff.

But, still, any smartphone is a privacy risk. What makes you think any of those several camera lenses aren't still having a peek?
Or that the microphone is actually off?
You think your phone is powered off, are you sure it is? It's just a software state. Why do you think batteries are no longer removable?

As for "flip phones" I did try to buy one recently, and they were all just Android phones in flip-phone body. I don't think it's financially viable to make true flip phones anymore, the new systems require basic chips that aren't geared towards simple phones, so manufacturers use cheap Android guts to make them.

My experience has been that Pixel and Motorola have the least bloat of Android smartphones.
It takes less time to uninstall unnecessary stuff.

But, still, any smartphone is a privacy risk. What makes you think any of those several camera lenses aren't still having a peek?
Or that the microphone is actually off?
You think your phone is powered off, are you sure it is? It's just a software state. Why do you think batteries are no longer removable?

As for "flip phones" I did try to buy one recently, and they were all just Android phones in flip-phone body. I don't think it's financially viable to make true flip phones anymore, the new systems require basic chips that aren't geared towards simple phones, so manufacturers use cheap Android guts to make them.
This is one of the big attractions of a Linux phone. Since the code is open source, it's very difficult to build a back door into it: Too many eyes on the code.

There was a phone developed a few years ago with mechanical switches for the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and cameras, but it was crazy expensive and had issues. I haven't kept up on it, so I don't know if it made it out of Beta.

Google.

Remove Google and install DuckDuckGo.

Unless you hate privacy.
Related to hating privacy.. several PS games, streaming services and apps are leaving PS4 platform and moving towards the PS5 system.. much to my wife's displeasure.

Sony does collect data and with the PS5, conversations are recorded "to combat abuse" :rolleyes:

"
But they can collect data on you from others users you are linked to and from any social media you link, so be mindful of that.
Sony says they can use all the information they collect on you for things like targeted marketing and advertisements they show on their own and third-party websites and services. This isn't great. It's also not uncommon in our data economy right now"

From https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/ps5/

I'm wondering, are there tablets of 12"+ sizes that are similar to Linux phones? Or at least running super minimal Android apps?

Edit. More just for media galleries and videos, messenger services not really needed.
I'm a fan of PineTab. Here's a list of the "top 10" for this year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top