JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And here's a surprise

Schumer calls for investigation of folding gun that resembles smartphone http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...on-folding-gun-that-resembles-smartphone.html

Schummer is a complete moron. If people like him continue down this path, I will buy one purely out of spite.

In my research, I understand that the ATF has already reviewed this gun and declared it legal. Whether or not it's a good idea, well that's up to individual opinions.

Personally, I think people like Schummer and his ilk are all bad ideas, and far more dangerous to the public and our rights than any little pocket gun :mad:

Last Edited:
The Patent Pending Ideal Conceal pistol is a true first in the conceal and carry market. It is a .380 caliber, double barreled derringer. It is not classified as an AOW. We are working on the legalities for the different states.
[...]
* they classify this as a pistol with a folding grip, which they say keeps it out of AOW territory - I think I'd like to see the ATF agree before dropping any $ on one

Yes starting in ~2012, the ATF began claiming a broader definition of AOW. Specifically they've claimed merely encasing a pistol in a specially-designed wallet creates an AOW.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

Would be surprised if this cellphone derringer did not qualify. Here is a graphic they added to their website in November:

nfa-aow-2.jpg

Yes starting in ~2012, the ATF began claiming a broader definition of AOW. Specifically they've claimed merely encasing a pistol in a specially-designed wallet creates an AOW.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

Would be surprised if this cellphone derringer did not qualify. Here is a graphic they added to their website in November:

View attachment 286998

I emailed the owner. Here is his response to the AOW question I asked him a few weeks ago:

It is a .380 caliber, double barreled derringer. It is not classified as an AOW. We are working on the legalities for the different states.

What I don't know is whether that's an official designation by the ATF. I would think this guy is smart enough to realize that if he doesn't clear the AOW hurdle, his idea is probably dead on arrival. I guess we'll see.

I will buy one just to give the middle finger to people like Schummer and Bloomberg.

Hey if this l'il pistol gets those two's panties in a bunch, I'll buy one too. Maybe a six-pack of them at Costco - discounted. Who knows. Will be interesting to watch this one over time. Wonder? Will they be CA legal? OK I better stop now. LOL

Hoax?

I think people missed, or didn't click on the link, so I will re-post OutlawHoss' link. This smells badly of BS and at this point I am going to assume this won't happen. Dubious non AOW claims aside, if nothing else, they are years away from hitting the market, not months as the Facebook page claims.

Article link

Interesting article and criticism about this device:
http://zelmanpartisans.com/?p=3021
I think he makes some valid observations, providing they can be
substantiated, or at least disproved.

If you want a 2 shot, 380acp, laser sight, derringer in disguise, (tranformer pun intended) then this is a much more realistic option, as opposed to the phone fantasy, this is likely months away from production (note the actual physical prototype and patent number):

http://www.bondhusarms.com/

bondhus-arms-cl380.jpg

Credit to the Firearm Blog for the photo.

Last Edited:
Even if it were real and available, I think its a bad idea. A 2-shot .380 that essentially requires both hands to operate? Having to unfold the grip in order to hold and fire it in an adrenaline-filled self defense situation sounds like a potential disaster. For the money you would spend on this thing you could invest in different holster and wardrobe options that would allow you to carry a proven, quality self defense handgun such as an airweight 38 special revolver or a compact 9mm. Im not going to trust my life to a gimmick.

I like it. While nothing seems to be the perfect solution, I'd pick one up so I have options alongside my 442 and Bodyguard 380.

There are so many variables to consider in the daily carry choice including weather and where one is going. While I'm not excited about only having two rounds available, there are times when the size and profile of this safety device would make it my preferred choice.

While I like the idea and respect the creativity, weapons of this nature have to be a nightmare for law enforcement. Additionally, if you think there is a problem now with police not wanting you to video them with your phone, wait until this thing hits the streets. My bet is is will be made illegal within a year of hitting the market if not at the time it gets released. In most places, cane guns, pen guns, etc. are illegal. This will be no different.

Hoax?

I think people missed, or didn't click on the link, so I will re-post OutlawHoss' link. This smells badly of BS and at this point I am going to assume this won't happen. Dubious non AOW claims aside, if nothing else, they are years away from hitting the market, not months as the Facebook page claims.

Time to wake this thread up for an update.

Not so sure about this being a hoax. I am on their mailing list, mostly out of sheer curiosity. I got an email update from them today - showing the firing prototype in action. Seems they are trying to push this idea forward. Still looks rough, but still a curiosity.

I will say this guy should consider hiring someone to do his videos for him - needs some work.

You're video link isn't working (for me at least) etrain.

Maybe it's a browser issue? I can see it just fine on mine - it's embedded right in the post and plays when I click on it.

If it ends up not working, you can go straight to YT and search for "Ideal Conceal" you should find this video fairly easily.

From what I have understood, concealment holster rigs escape the "AOW" designation if the slide is exposed. such as the DeSantis example below.
In Ocarolan's linked ATF literature, the old Galco holster is shown, which completely covers a pistol like the AMT .380 Backup, (although in this example an old High Standard 2 shot derringer) thereby making it an AOW.

DeSantis:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/411553118_3.jpg

Old Galco: (out of production)

Last Edited:
Maybe it's a browser issue? I can see it just fine on mine - it's embedded right in the post and plays when I click on it.

If it ends up not working, you can go straight to YT and search for "Ideal Conceal" you should find this video fairly easily.

Turns out it was the firewall at work protecting us all and blocking subversive content. Anyway, credit to him for coming up with a working prototype, and I would be interested. I still think it is a long way off though...

Turns out it was the firewall at work protecting us all and blocking subversive content. Anyway, credit to him for coming up with a working prototype, and I would be interested. I still think it is a long way off though...

Yeah, he's already missed several self-imposed deadlines. I think perhaps he didn't account for issues/delays that are likely to come up when coming up with something like this. I'm curious to see if he gets it to market, though I'm not sure I would ever be interested in buying one myself.

Got an email today from these folks - they are now taking pre-orders on these guns. $395+$20 shipping and looks like they'll ship 1st quarter 2017.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top