JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Self defense???

Shots fired in wolf war by Idaho archer

Environmentalist arguments that wolves do not pose a threat to humans took another hit when bowhunter Rene Anderson took what she is convinced was a defensive action and fatally shot a wolf that had moved aggressively to within ten feet of her on a remote ridge near Headquarters, Idaho.

<broken link removed>

No kidding. I am a big animal lover but if the Wolf perched itself up on a log 10' away it seems it meant to have her as a snack. Unfortunate, but justified imo.

Alot of girls are scared of a golden retriever they don't know approaching them. This doesn't sound right to me. Have your gun ready until it's out of sight, but until it charges, not "walk aggressively to 10 feet away", move away normally while making noise... It sounds like she freaked out, got scared, and overreacted.

It sounds like she freaked out, got scared, and overreacted.

well if that is a gurls reaction, then many that I know would have reacted like a girl and killed the animal, myself included. Animals will usually leave the moment that they see or smell you including Bears and Cougars. Why risk a dangerous confrontation with a wild animal at that kind of proximity and risk your life?

I'm just saying, if you have a gun in hand like she did, and your focus is on the animal now (it's not a surprise "attack" anymore) then you should have the wits to make distance and leave. Shoot near it even, a bear won't be sticking around after a gunshot, if it does.....then you might have a problem.

Wolves, shoot em' all.
The breed of wolves here are not native to this region, and are extreme predators.. The sooner they're irradicated the better. They're decimating the Elk and Deer populations, and all these wolves need to be destroyed.

Sometime I'll tell you how I really feel about them.

Gearchecker

I'm just saying, if you have a gun in hand like she did, and your focus is on the animal now (it's not a surprise "attack" anymore) then you should have the wits to make distance and leave. Shoot near it even, a bear won't be sticking around after a gunshot, if it does.....then you might have a problem.

my point is that if an animal such as this is 10 feet away, it is already too close for you to react should it decide to attack. A human can move 21 feet in 1.5 seconds and a Wolf is 10 times faster and only has half that distance to travel. The wolf is within killing distance, close enough to be a threat, close enough to die!

I would have shot it also. In her story she indicated that it had already seen her and most likely had already smelled her, but approached closer anyway. 10 feet is way to close for my comfort, I actually would have been shooting the moment I saw it move towards me. I don't buy the "fire a warning shot" theory, yeah it might run away, but it might just use the time during your warning shot to close the distance and be on you. If you are going to fire warning shots, you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun for "protection" you should be given firecrackers or some novelty noise maker instead since you don't need to kill anything to defend yourself.

Good for her!

Here's a pic of the lady and her wolf. That's one big dog!
wolfkill.jpg

The wolf is an apex predator, to run at it in an attempt scare it away would be taking your life into your own hands, foolishly. To fire at and kill a predator of this caliber that knowingly came anywhere near that close to you is self defence, plain and simple. I for one like being on top of the food chain in my world and will use any means available to stay upright and breathing. I wouldn't let a coyote get that close to me, let alone a wolf, bear or cougar. Well done young lady!

Our paper keeps reporting on the progress of a wolf which has a radio collar. It has made it all the way from NE Oregon to the Cascades in Douglas (Roseburg) County and Klamath County, wandering back and forth on the W. side of the Cascades. If it keeps moving, we're next.

They said that many of the wolves don't have collars, and there are probably more with him. I hate this. They don't belong here and they will decimate elk and deer herds, ranch animals, and domestic dogs and maybe even people.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wolf pictured above was stalking that woman. As Salmonriverjohn said, they are apex predators.

OK, this morning's Medford Mail Tribune says that the wolf is near Butte Falls, OR which is about 40 miles E. of Medford. They won't say any more or exactly where it is, but rumors around here are that people who have seen it say it is a pack. Only one has a collar, so it could be wolves born in E. Oregon.

Wolf Crosses into Jackson County

This is so cute.
I just talked to some folks from Neah Bay that have seen wolves up there.(google NW corner of US)

The wolves have been around for some time
The have been INTRODUCING (not RE introducing them) in to WA and OR for some time.

The wolves in Neah Bay had supposedly died off
Not so much

So I hear a GUT SHOT,through and through will kill an animal like this,no?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top