JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The longest shot I ever took at a big 3 point blacktailed deer was about 80 yards and I missed (buck fever). I'm a meat hunter cause I can't eat antlers.
I have taken over 15 bucks out to 25 yards, I was a good stalker. Hell I even stalked geese a time or two!!!

If long shots were necessary, no bow hunter would ever get anything.

:)

Bruce
Not everyone hunts in the forests. I'm sure people have done it, but it's probably pretty hard to get that close to a Dahl sheep in the Mountains or an antelope in the open country.

A .22 has a two mile range!
Yeah, but how much energy does a .22 have at that range and what could it kill out there? Could you even see any game that a .22 would be appropriate for at that distance?
If you hunted anytime at all, you have heard others tell the stories of their poor marksmanship and unethical hunting.
I once worked for a guy who went elk hunting in E. OR. When he got back I asked him if he'd brought any meat home. He said no, he'd only gotten 1 shot and the animal was running and so was he. He said, "I guess I'm not good enough to make that shot."

Face palm.

Some people just shouldn't hunt.

Within bow range:

:D

Bruce
I'm not sure your point. Like I said, some has done it but it's probably pretty hard.

So are you saying that it's unethical to take a shot longer than anyone has ever taken a shot bow hunting?

Shooting while hunting is vastly different than when shooting at a rifle range.
Just because someone is a good shot on a rifle range is no guarantee that they are good shot in the hunting field.

While hunting there are no benches or known distances...yes I know about range estimation and range finders....
When hunting you are often taking a shot in poor light and many times in bad weather....
Often your shot will occur when you are cold , wet , tired , hungry and after you have walked and carried your rifle all day....

With my favorite rifle I know my limits of good shooting...I know this because of years of hunting and shooting practice with it and my chosen load for my rifle.
These are my limits...someone else may have different limits.

It would be wise to know how you shoot and stick within those limitations.
Andy

Just against the idea that if you can't hit a milk carton at 600 yards, you are poorly equipped.

Think of how much game was killed with iron sights, before scopes. You can still do it.

Bruce

I don't worry about it… just a male measuring contest… I did this or I can hit at whatever distance… well I hit at this amount further… anytime someone wants to go hunting and shoot an animal let me know… I'm down for it… I will only bring what is necessary to keep myself alive and a video camera so we can record the expertise and then there's evidence. I won't make a sound! Just remember that it's for the food, sport and comrodity.

I know there's a lot of good hunters out there but there's an awful lot of unethical hunters also. I don't think there is a set distance, that depends on the shooter But I think a lot of these people taking 1000 yard shots at animals are not a lot different than the road hunters you here about taking "sound shots".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top