JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So did he accidentally shoot himself too? I am guessing there was no bear involved here.

Edit: Nevermind: "Based upon the investigation, it is believed the caller took his own life after calling 911 to report the accidental shooting," the sheriff's office said.

So did he accidentally shoot himself too? I am guessing there was no bear involved here.

Edit: Nevermind: "Based upon the investigation, it is believed the caller took his own life after calling 911 to report the accidental shooting," the sheriff's office said.
You may be right about the bear. Everything is based on what he told 911. Did he tell 911 what really happened I wonder? Kind of smacks of a made up story but who knows, almost no info. in the article.

I can see an argument between two brothers. Drugs, alcohol, finances, family relationships, cheating, you name it. Brother is shot. Panics, calls 911. Meanwhile the bear story is a good cover. Realizing the story will unravel, the guilt/horror of it all sets in and the second shot rings out.

Let's say there is a bear. Fine. What is the chance that both brothers remain inseparable while one retrieves and loads the supposedly unloaded gun. Would one not stay by a window to give a live report on the bear as the other was getting the gun ready? Then, in retrieving and then loading the gun while the brother is in the sights, the weapon discharges.

Could have happened - we'll possibly never know. But the amount of "never happens like that" (NHLT) factors is starting to build. In any story, NHLT can come into play, as every situation and story are different. Two NHLTs and it's still possible, even though eyebrows are raised. By the time you get to three NHLTs, it's starting to smell more like rotten fish than bear.

Sounds like murder suicide.
My first thought, too. Never met a black bear in So. Oregon (and I've run across several on my property) that couldn't be scared off by some hand clapping and loud yells. And that's the stubborn ones. Usually they take off when they see a human. No need for firearms. I'd bet money something else happened here.

I can see an argument between two brothers. Drugs, alcohol, finances, family relationships, cheating, you name it. Brother is shot. Panics, calls 911. Meanwhile the bear story is a good cover. Realizing the story will unravel, the guilt/horror of it all sets in and the second shot rings out.
That was my thinking also. Most people in black bear territory don't panic at the site of one. I assume they live in rural area. The "protecting the property from a bear" (or whatever the wording was in the article) does not sound right to me. It sort of smacks of a guilty conscious similar to "it was self defense" type of thinking. But too little info to go on.

If it was someone who had never been outside of the city I could see them panicking at the site of a black bear. But like u said who knows. Maybe forensics will find out what happened.

But maybe I just watch too many murder mystery shows...

Last Edited:
I assume they live in rural area. The "protecting the property from a bear" (or whatever the wording was in the article) does not sound right to me.

If it was someone who had never been outside of the city I could see them panicking at the site of a black bear.
Sunny Valley is very rural. Not even a town really.

Let's say there is a bear. Fine. What is the chance that both brothers remain inseparable while one retrieves and loads the supposedly unloaded gun. Would one not stay by a window to give a live report on the bear as the other was getting the gun ready? Then, in retrieving and then loading the gun while the brother is in the sights, the weapon discharges is discharged.
FTFY.

My first thought, too. Never met a black bear in So. Oregon (and I've run across several on my property) that couldn't be scared off by some hand clapping and loud yells. And that's the stubborn ones. Usually they take off when they see a human. No need for firearms. I'd bet money something else happened here.
After Juicey Smooyay, I don't believe anything anymore.

Bingo.
Showed this to an old buddy of mine.
First thing he said was, 'Bullsht - bears are still sleepin'."

Bears don't "Hibernate" hibernate here. Where does your buddy live? :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show